Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Two Tales of An Accident

This morning a vehicle seemingly attempted to go under a car-carrier on that piece of I-375/75 that connects to Gratiot, near the current ending of the Dequindre Cut, on the south end of Eastern Market.

Of the two news agencies which reported it first...in my perception, at least...there were details which opposed each other. So I wonder, which is correct, the Free Press or WDIV on their ClickonDetroit webpage?

One person died in a two-vehicle crash at Gratiot and I-375 in Detroit this morning, according to the Michigan State Police.

The crash happened on the ramp from Gratiot Avenue to I-375 at about 7 a.m., MSP Lt. Michael Shaw said this morning. He did not have details about the crash.

The ramp is expected to be closed for at least a couple of hours while the victim is extricated from a vehicle and investigators process the crash site, Shaw said.
    One person is dead after an early morning accident in Detroit Wednesday.

The accident happened at the I-75/I-375 ramp to Gratiot around 7 a.m.

The ramp is expected to be closed for several hours.

Can you see the difference? From the images on the ClickonDetroit page, it is pretty clear they got the reporting right, too.

That exit is pretty dangerous sometimes...it gets stopped up just after that rise. In rush hours, those exceeding the 55mph limit really have to jam on the brakes. State should put a flashing sign just before that rise.

Plus, the lights are all out-of-sync there, too. I have to do a Detroit Red at Chene to get through Gratiot's green on Westbound Vernor. I think if they made the light at the interstate exit a shorter duration, and gave inbound Gratiot a dedicated right turn lane [[and dedicated merge for that block before the Gratiot Market)...it would solve a good bunch of that backup. Too many people who want to get to Eastbound Vernor clog up that right-hand-turn lane.

The Crain's people must have some fun watching it all.
    Last edited by Gannon; September-12-12 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    This morning a vehicle seemingly attempted to go under a car-carrier on that piece of I-375/75 that connects to Gratiot, near the current ending of the Dequindre Cut, on the south end of Eastern Market.

Of the two news agencies which reported it first...in my perception, at least...there were details which opposed each other. So I wonder, which is correct, the Free Press or WDIV on their ClickonDetroit webpage?

Can you see the difference? From the images on the ClickonDetroit page, it is pretty clear they got the reporting right, too.

That exit is pretty dangerous sometimes...it gets stopped up just after that rise. In rush hours, those exceeding the 55mph limit really have to jam on the brakes. State should put a flashing sign just before that rise.

Plus, the lights are all out-of-sync there, too. I have to do a Detroit Red at Chene to get through Gratiot's green on Westbound Vernor. I think if they made the light at the interstate exit a shorter duration, and gave inbound Gratiot a dedicated right turn lane [[and dedicated merge for that block before the Gratiot Market)...it would solve a good bunch of that backup. Too many people who want to get to Eastbound Vernor clog up that right-hand-turn lane.

The Crain's people must have some fun watching it all.
    How could anyone find humor in watching an accident where people die? Your sense of humor escapes me.

All I know was as soon as I heard that on the radio I decided to take side-streets instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    How could anyone find humor in watching an accident where people die? Your sense of humor escapes me.
    That's Gannon for ya. He always has a sarcastic way of putting a spin on things. I agree, it's nothing to be joking about.

If you can't laugh at death, what's the point of having a sense of humor?

untie you panties, im sure he was refering to the daily snarlup in that area and not the specific death and accident in question....

dang....

Very bad spot there.
    No way was Gannon making fun out of a car accident, come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    untie you panties, im sure he was refering to the daily snarlup in that area and not the specific death and accident in question....

dang....
    My panties fit just fine thank you very much. Since I personally don't know you or anyone else on this forum I can only go by what I read. And what I read was not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    If you can't laugh at death, what's the point of having a sense of humor?
    I have a great sense of humor but I have never laughed at death. Did you make that up?

you can laugh at death.
    They did a whole show on it with Mary Tyler Moore.
    "A little song, a little dance. a little seltzer up the pants"

Anyone ever notice how every breaking story is completely turned around a couple hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post

dang....

Thanks.

It was exactly that. NObody is having any fucking fun here, I started free-associating ways to fix it so nobody else has to die.

I've had some close calls here with the way most of the bozos drive through this area.

The lights are screwed up, traffic there is ALWAYS one little event away from a huge jam.

I KNOW many of the Crain's folks have a birds-eye view of this, every day. Many of them post here, that was my way of introducing additional commentary.

Sincerely,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Very bad spot there.
    No way was Gannon making fun out of a car accident, come on.

Thanks Kenp. I hadn't gotten to yours yet.

The driver is not dead, yet. Apparently he was drunk and running from the police.

MidtownMS,

I daresay yours might be a wee bit tight. That's ok, most of us are in denial about our weight as we age. It's why they keep 'adjusting' the sizes.

Cheers, anyways...thanks for making this so much not what it was intended.

It started with the Freep writer phoning it in, actually...about an intersection that has the potential to cause this sort of thing DAILY.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The driver is not dead, yet. Apparently he was drunk and running from the police.

WHOA! NO kidding? Seven a.m. Damn.

Last thing I could imagine is being stuck in that stupidity only to have that come up in the rear-view mirror.

I guess all sympathy for the driver just took a vacation...

The Freep MORE than made up for their earlier gaff on this with the follow-up.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120912/NEWS01/120912010/crash-on-Gratiot-and-I-375-in-Detroit?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

It all began by an off-duty State Trooper spotting the guy hitting the wall at 6:45 am on I-75 northbound before Rosa Parks. Thankfully the people in first vehicle he struck are doing ok.

Fox2 reported he was northbound on I-75 when he exited at Outer Drive where he was spotted by an off duty officer. Then he drove south on I-75 and exited at Gratiot where the collison happened.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...rn-market-0912

Some people take things waaaaaayyyyy too seriously.

Like the birthday thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Fox2 reported he was northbound on I-75 when he exited at Outer Drive where he was spotted by an off duty officer. Then he drove south on I-75 and exited at Gratiot where the collison happened.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...rn-market-0912

They have it wrong. Outer Drive is down past the refinery. He HAD to go north to get where he ended up. There is no Outer Drive exit on I-75 anywhere north of there, it appears to blend into State Fair east of the freeway.
    Last edited by Gannon; September-12-12 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Some people take things waaaaaayyyyy too seriously.

Like the birthday thread.
    Or the one about excommunication.

Yeah, because that is such a laugh-riot.

It was on the east-bound ramp to Gratiot. Saw the hubbub on my way to work this morning ~7:30a.

My panties fit just fine thank you very much. Since I personally don't know you or anyone else on this forum I can only go by what I read. And what I read was not funny.
    I dont know, Im laughing at your post right now..

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    MidtownMS,

I daresay yours might be a wee bit tight. That's ok, most of us are in denial about our weight as we age. It's why they keep 'adjusting' the sizes.......
    Translation = "this forum ain't big enuf for another resident drama queen"

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Translation = "this forum ain't big enuf for another resident drama queen"
    Who you callin' a QUEEN?! LOL...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast