Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How Does One Go About Celebrating Their Birthday If It's On 9/11?

I met someone recently who informed me that they were born on 9/11 but before 2001. How does the tragedy of that day affect one's ability to celebrate their birthday? Any one here born on 9/11 or know someone born on this day? Do you celebrate you birthday differently now that it is synonymous with the terrorists' attacks? Do you go out in public and celebrate on this day? How do restaurants treat you if they traditionally sing Happy Birthday to patrons who celebrate their birthday there? I'm curious because until now I had never known anyone born on this day.

I don't really see how they could go on living.

Birthdays are important.

I think I stopped celebrating mine in grade school.

royce, What the frack does A have to do with B?

Meddle, I'm curious about how one whose birthday is today feels about celebrating their birthday when 9/11 is such a solemn day. Also, if you knew someone close who died that day and then saw someone at a restaurant celebrating their birthday, would you be bothered by their display of happiness when for you the day is a day of remembrance

Again, what does A have to do with B?

Most well-adjusted people don't obsess over either, let alone let one affect the other.

http://quran.com/9/29

Sahih International
    Fight those who do not believe in Allah or in the Last Day and who do not consider unlawful what Allah and His Messenger have made unlawful and who do not adopt the religion of truth from those who were given the Scripture - [fight] until they give the jizyah willingly while they are humbled.
    There have been many, many attempted attacks since that fateful day, and fortunately, there has not been a major successful attack since then.

We, as a nation, are very fortunate.

Estimates are about 340,000 births per day. Extrapolating over a decade, that makes about 3 1/2 million born on any given date. Take it out to fifty years, you're looking at over 17 million.

Are you really saying that 17 million people or more should be boo-hooing instead of blowing out candles on a cake?

It shouldn't matter. I never heard of people with Pearl Harbor day b-days not celebrating.

It's their bday. Enjoy it and celebrate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    It shouldn't matter. I never heard of people with Pearl Harbor day b-days not celebrating.
    Or April 19th

My daughter was born on Dec. 7th; we almost named her Pearl.

If we stopped celebrating birthdays on days bad things happened, nobody would ever be celebrating a Birthday. Bad things have happened on every single day on the calendar.

My brother's birthday is today. He's pretty nonchalant about it. Granted it's awkward but what can you do? Change your birthday?

I suppose it's just another lesson in c'est la vie.

Today I woke up to a replay of the news that day in 2001. It took me a moment to realize that it wasn't current news.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    coincidentally, my dad's birthday was pearl harbor day and mom's was 9/11 and we celebrated. the night of the attack was just a small quiet dinner with mom watching the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Estimates are about 340,000 births per day. Extrapolating over a decade, that makes about 3 1/2 million born on any given date. Take it out to fifty years, you're looking at over 17 million.

Are you really saying that 17 million people or more should be boo-hooing instead of blowing out candles on a cake?
    Meddle, I'm not trying to say anything. I was simply trying to get a sense of how people who are born on this day feel about their birthday being on the same day as the 9/11 terrorists attack. My birthday is the same day as the day Hurricane Katrina flooded New Orleans. I had family members affected by this. And so every birthday I think about it and take a moment to reflect on it. I still celebrate my birthday, but the events of that day will always be a part of my birthday now. Meddle, I'm not understanding the hostility come from you. Maybe this post lets you know where I'm coming from. No harm intended.

My daughter was born on Sept. 11th. On 9/11/2001 we still went though with our plans to celebrate her birthday that evening with dinner at a Damon's Grill & Sports Bar. However, we had the place pretty much to ourselves and we watched the TV network coverage on their big screens along with the wait staff, who didn't have much else to do. As far as she is concerned, it's just a coincidence that Muslim extremists chose the same date as her birthday to commit mass murder. It does not change the way she and we celebrate her birthday.

WHAT'S A BIRTHDAY WITHOUT FIREWORKS?!
    Name:  B DAY FIREWORKS.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  14.4 KB

On the anniversary of the worst terrorist attacks ever perpetrated on America, our embassy in Cairo and our consulate in Benghazi were attacked by violent Islamic mobs. In Cairo, they scaled the walls of our embassy, destroyed our flag, and replaced it with a black Islamic banner. In Benghazi, the armed gunmen set fire to our consulate and killed an American staff member.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...4e1_story.html
    Last edited by Papasito; September-12-12 at 06:54 AM.

My birthday was on the day Lennon was shot. I was bummed for that birthday, but life goes on.

My art director's birthday was yesterday. I bought him a bottle of Jameson and last night he went out for chinese food with his girlfriend and then hit a few bars. I've asked him if people give him any crap about celebrating on that day and he said it's never been a problem. He told me it was kind of weird for a few years. I think that when people understand it's your birthday they don't blame you for celebrating. I'd ask him how it went but he hasn't made his way to the office yet.

If you google events that happened on the date of your birthday I'm sure you'll find some amazing things. Of the over 200 things listed for my birthday were...

2001 Timothy McVeigh executed for the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing that killed at least 168
    1991 Microsoft releases MS DOS 5.0 [[That's pretty sad)

1990 U.N. appoints Olivia Newton-John environmental ambassador. [[that's just downright strange)

1966 Janis Joplin plays her 1st gig in San Francisco
    1939 King and Queen of England taste 1st "hot dogs" at FDR's party

1920 Republicans nominate Warren G Harding for president

1742 Benjamin Franklin invents his Franklin stove

So many bad things also happened but I'm going to keep celebrating.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    My birthday was on the day Lennon was shot. I was bummed for that birthday, but life goes on.
    Your birthday is past tense? I want one of those!

my birthdays, so far, are past tense

Default "500 Days": How Bush Admin Ignored Warnings Before 9/11

Newly disclosed documents provide further evidence the administration of George W. Bush ignored repeated warnings about Osama bin Laden's plans to attack the United States. In "500 Days: Secrets and Lies in the Terror Wars," author and journalist Kurt Eichenwald fleshes out how the Bush administration dismissed a number of warnings of an al-Qaeda attack against the United States beginning in the spring of 2001, instead focusing on alleged threats from Saddam Hussein in Iraq....

GUSHI Guest

Well in the mid east you attack a Us embassy, and we don't do anything about it, aren't embassies Us territory , so they should be considered attack on Us soil?

great, another brain-dead fool spouting Newsmax talking points

If it was W you guys would be talking about how he was such a bad president for 1. Letting it happen 2. How he handed it.

How did Obama handle it?
    He partied with Beyonce and Jay-Z!
    Just like any responsible President would after 3 embassies get over-run and an Ambassador gets murdered, right?

JOIN BEYONCÉ, JAY-Z, AND PRESIDENT OBAMA IN NYC

Name:  signup-cover.jpeg
Views: 1377
Size:  58.4 KB
    http://www.barackobama.com/join-beyonce-in-nyc/

It's so nice to know our embassies and our citizens are such a priority in our President's busy life!

If this was W or Romney or McCain partying with Clint or Lynyrd Skynyrd you guys would't ever stop talking about it. Flip it to Obama and you've got a list of excuses to defend him. Hypocrites

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast