Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Brothel and Blind Pig in Detroit

Read this earlier today and was surprised there was not a thread about it yet. Had a friend that said when he was there, he saw nothing in regards to prostitution, just booze and drugs. Wondering if it was more of a warehouse party that a brothel.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120910/NEWS02/309100056/Place-that-sold-drugs-booze-and-sex-is-raided-in-New-Center-area

Police like to waste valuable resources on crap like this instead of tackling real issues, but nobody seems to mind.

The media doesn't help. A while back they raided the loft my friends band practices out of on 14th and Bagly, claiming it as a wild deviant after-hours brothel/bar. The news story blew everything way out of proportion. On top of making it look like a drug fueled frenzy, they reported people "were coming all the way from New York" and that "illegal sex acts were occurring".

In reality, it was a good low-key chill spot if you weren't ready for sleep after the bars closed on the weekends. Our hack news outlets in this city just make up stuff using sensationalism for ratings/sales/attention.

Aside from a money grab, my guess is someone didn't get paid off on this one.

hmm... there's a white castle adjacent that I used to frequent.. lol.. oh and the detroit amtrak station, too..

That was my thought Bad Brains. Although, I think illegal clubs are just another thing that's wrong with the city, I assumed there might be a little over exaggeration on the media's end.

[QUOTE=Bad Brains;340364]Police like to waste valuable resources on crap like this instead of tackling real issues, but nobody seems to mind. [QUOTE]

Do you catch the part about the 16 year old girl? This sounds like a real issue to me.

[QUOTE=ScienceFair;340379][QUOTE=Bad Brains;340364]Police like to waste valuable resources on crap like this instead of tackling real issues, but nobody seems to mind.

Do you catch the part about the 16 year old girl? This sounds like a real issue to me.
    Actually, for me the real issue should be where her parents are. They don't give enough details to come to a conclusion on that one.

In reality, one underage person out of the whole place isn't that bad. You could probably find more at any one of the "legal" clubs downtown on any given weekend.

sorry, Bad Brains, but this smacks of child trafficking. That goes well beyond the "where are the parents" argument

I read the article again and it doesn't even come close to insinuating child trafficking. You can't be serious.

A lot of my friends were going to underground parties or "raves" back in the late 90's in the city, and they were between the ages of 15-18. No child trafficking going on.

16 year old found in one of the other rooms, in a brothel, no, not child trafficking at all

There was a 16 year old at an afterhours, whats new. No one said she was prostituting herself. I wouldnt go so far as to say child trafficking.

50 cars towed and 120 tickets issued sounds like just another cash grab.
    Last edited by Django; September-11-12 at 02:30 AM.

Ah and the pound fees are ticking as we speak. And if you do not have a drivers license and proof of insurance you can't pickup your car! Good times for the impound yard.

When is the city having it's next car auction again?

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    Actually, for me the real issue should be where her parents are. They don't give enough details to come to a conclusion on that one.
    Or maybe, does she even know who both parents are? Or if she does, do they both live in the same house?

What I find funny is people acting like this place is unusual. It's probably only one of dozens. Some probably do have 15 and 16 year old hookers. Not trafficked, but there to make some money to live on. Pays more than McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    16 year old found in one of the other rooms, in a brothel, no, not child trafficking at all
    Where does it say in the article she was prostituting and that she was trafficked in?

A 16 yr old has only been a "child", if a possible victim on some level for the last 15-20 yrs.

Of course if a 14 yr old, OR younger is a armed robber or murderer, they are then adults. Bah....

ANyways, is this the brown building across from White castle or the old Caribbean restaurant?

There was a 16 year old at an afterhours, whats new. No one said she was prostituting herself. I wouldnt go so far as to say child trafficking.

What can you say about that other then, when you're out for an evening at the local blind pig, make sure you drive your beater.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    ANyways, is this the brown building across from White castle or the old Caribbean restaurant?

Yes it's across the street from White Castle. Near as I could tell from the video shot it looks to be in between the vacant Caribbean spot&the post office.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    A 16 yr old has only been a "child", if a possible victim on some level for the last 15-20 yrs.

Of course if a 14 yr old, OR younger is a armed robber or murderer, they are then adults. Bah....
    I love the irony in that if that 16-year-girl were to pull out a gun and kill someone, everyone would be screaming to have her prosecuted an an "adult". People like to selectively choose when someone is or isn't a child.

Magically, the day they turn 18, they are adults [[yet can still get in trouble for MINOR in possession of alcohol......)

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    What can you say about that other then, when you're out for an evening at the local blind pig, make sure you drive your beater.
    Id say park a few blocks away so the police wont find your car if they want to impound it for being at a club so you dont get your beater impounded for $600 to be returned.

I knew something was going on around that area related to at least late night partying as I noticed folks smoking and getting out of cars around the alley mingling over to Milwaulkee street when I dropped of mail at the post office there.

Though unrelated aside from being in the immediate area, this thread makes me miss Detroit Art Space.

If it was the county its probably more like a thousand to get your car back. They had something called campaign push off. No court date, no warrant just a thousand dollar ransom note. 16 is plenty old enough to make bad adult decisions. Like what someone else said "money to live on." Detroit has waaaay more low skill people than low skill jobs. None of them pay 100 and up an hour either. I wouldn't imagine it impossible to make thousand a weekend. Thats like 160 hours at McDonalds

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    Where does it say in the article she was prostituting and that she was trafficked in?

My thoughts exactly. When they hit the place on Bagley a few months ago they made the same claims about prostitution etc... The worse thing they had going on in that Bagley spot, was a guy selling drinks after hours. I'm sure there were a few under age kids there as well. Its a cash grab and they're sensationalizing it to mask the fact. I wish they'd come out and just say "we're fucking broke and have to enforce laws of victimless crimes". I don't like the policy but I understand. Taxes weren't cut, they were just relocated.

Id say park a few blocks away so the police wont find your car if they want to impound it for being at a club so you dont get your beater impounded for $600 to be returned.
    Well yeah okay, but if I'm gonna do that I might as well drive my better car. That way I can better impress some of them ho blind pig chicks.
    Last edited by softailrider; September-12-12 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxus View Post
    My thoughts exactly. When they hit the place on Bagley a few months ago they made the same claims about prostitution etc... The worse thing they had going on in that Bagley spot, was a guy selling drinks after hours. I'm sure there were a few under age kids there as well. Its a cash grab and they're sensationalizing it to mask the fact. I wish they'd come out and just say "we're fucking broke and have to enforce laws of victimless crimes". I don't like the policy but I understand. Taxes weren't cut, they were just relocated.
    It amazes me how much the media here sensationalizes these things, and disturbing how people just believe what they read.
    Anyone who has ever been to any of these "blind pigs" pretty much knows the people present are just normal everyday people. I have never ran into anyone at these places involved in prostitution or interested in children.

As you said, the Bagly place was chill. I actually laughed when the news reported "prostitution". Aside from a few skanky drunk girls, I never witnessed anyone whoring or pimping. Claiming these places as brothels must be a tactic for ratings/newspaper sales.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast