Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Has Charlie LeDuff jumped the shark?

he was cute for a while but I'm wondering if Charlie's star is on the way down. His constant barrages on Bing for ever setting foot outside the city-limits [[charlie lives in Pleasant Ridge), the silly props and the holier-than-thou preaches are getting old quick. they love him in the inner-city but i'm getting a feeling the shtick has run its course everywhere else. thoughts??

I didn't know he lives in Pleasant Ridge.

It would be nice if he put his arse where his mouth is.

I met him once, briefly. Seems like a decent guy when the camera is off. When it's on it always seems that the story is Charlie LeDuff more than the actual story.

I don't think he needs to live in Detroit though. He doesn't hold a public office or work for the city. Most of the newscasters for the Detroit stations live in the suburbs too.

But I do think his stories have been a little blah lately. It's like the same old same old, just said a different way. He needs a big story to shake things up.

I don't live in the inner city&enjoy Charlie's work. No question he's a bit over the top&animated but I appreciate the work he's doing.

All of my suburban/exurban friends and family just love Charlie Leduff. Most have become avid watchers of fox2 news hoping to catch him calling out some tax pissing bureaucrat [[bob....bob....) , or doing some jacked up hood story.

Watching Detroit eat itself alive on the nightly news is more entertaining than Law and Order apparently.

He's a hack with severe "credibility" issues that have gotten him kicked out of a few places. just biding time till it happens here

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    I don't think he needs to live in Detroit though. He doesn't hold a public office or work for the city. Most of the newscasters for the Detroit stations live in the suburbs too.
    He doesn't need to live in Detroit, but when everything he does is about Detroit, I think he would have a better platform if he was able to say "I live here."

Like Stroh's noted, he criticized Bing for the whole "home in the suburbs" thing, then goes home to his home in the suburbs. I agree with the criticism, but the pot is calling the kettle black.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    He doesn't need to live in Detroit, but when everything he does is about Detroit, I think he would have a better platform if he was able to say "I live here."

Like Stroh's noted, he criticized Bing for the whole "home in the suburbs" thing, then goes home to his home in the suburbs. I agree with the criticism, but the pot is calling the kettle black.
    As Detroitsgwenivere already clarified, he's around to get the Frank Rizzos of "SE Michigan" riled up. He's not around to appease to people in the city.

BTW, I avoid watching that low budget crap on WJBK. They're by far the worst news station in Detroit [[not that the others are much better).

Maybe it's because I rarely watch his stories, but all I have seen have been about Detroit/Wayne Co. Any LBP seat belt stories? I'd be truly shocked if LBP is squeaky clean.

A news story is less credible if the reporter lives outside the city? By that reasoning people should only relate to a news story if the story happens in their city. A reporter says- "your houses, your streets" not "my house on my street".
    You only watch high-budget crap news? Whats the difference when it comes to firehouse closings, police cuts and corruption? Does it matter if an Eskimo yodels it from Tokyo? At least somebody is getting the word out in a way that people are talking about. I don't care if Le Duff stays or goes, I think he's an opportunist. But he seems to do the legwork and reports the numbers.
    You guys really argue some meaningless sh*t sometimes and you do it with such conviction, maybe you should work for FOX news.

People are arguing about changing a building's name from Detroit to Michigan in the other thread...
    Are you people really Detroit?
    Last edited by splake; September-09-12 at 12:22 AM.

ok SPLAKE,
    WTF!!! when Detroit was GREAT, having the moniker was good, Detroit Art Institute, Detroit Science Center, etc.., when Detroit become a draw-down, it is time to change the name, really...Detroit is not a vacuum and neither is the surrounding area. we are all or none. A name change does not make is nicer and cleaner.
    sorry, just my thoughts.

and BTW, we are not A**holes, we all just have an opinion.
    if you don't like it...find a site that only has your point of view and then deal with the random troll who types things you can dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    ok SPLAKE,
    WTF!!! when Detroit was GREAT, having the moniker was good, Detroit Art Institute, Detroit Science Center, etc.., when Detroit become a draw-down, it is time to change the name, really...Detroit is not a vacuum and neither is the surrounding area. we are all or none. A name change does not make is nicer and cleaner.
    sorry, just my thoughts.
    and BTW, we are not A**holes, we all just have an opinion.
    if you don't like it...find a site that only has your point of view and then deal with the random troll who types things you can dispute.
    Very well said.

when Detroit was GREAT, having the moniker was good
    We all think Detroit still is great. We all have pride in the city. But when you're down and in need of help, you need to swallow some pride in order to get on your feet again.
    Or we can continue arguing and refusing help and see where that gets us.

If a name change is going to be made, shouldn't it be the "Coleman A. Young Science Center"?

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Maybe it's because I rarely watch his stories, but all I have seen have been about Detroit/Wayne Co. Any LBP seat belt stories? I'd be truly shocked if LBP is squeaky clean.
    Anyone think its a coincident that the majority of the metro population lives in Oakland and Macomb Counties, but most of the corruption stories are about Detroit and Wayne County.

Brooks has had his share of scandals that have been quietly swept under the rug and Warren is notorious for having a warring city council but rarely do you hear a peep about it on the local news. These are the folks who love to watch these stories and shout with glee how bad it is south of 8 Mile and why they never have these problems "in my backyard".

BTW, Chuckles jumped the shark back when he started plagiarizing stories when he wrote for the newspapers, so he naturally fits in at Fox 2 News.
    Last edited by Detroitej72; September-09-12 at 08:24 AM.

plagiarism?

Quote Originally Posted by Strohs Brewery View Post
    plagiarism?
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...orrows-a-story

oh charlie

It's about ratings. If he gets eyeballs he stays. If not, he goes.

I find him sometimes entertaining, sometimes informative, sometimes tiresome.

But he has you [us] talking about him.

It's gotta be tough to create a new act every time.

Who watches the watchers ?

In Detroit, right now basically all you got is Charlie LeDuff - and you should be giving the guy a public service medal rather than dithering about style or ratings.

If you are gazing at FOX2 for your information, I dont think you are looking for real news anyway - you are probably just waiting for your sport scores.

Those who think his delivery is kind of cheesy should stop and think about the FOX2 News audience - that should explain why he has to do it the way he does.

Detroit needs Charlie way more than Charlie needs Detroit, imo.

I have a secret soft spot in my heart for Charlie.
    Sometimes his stories are misses, but he's not afraid to swing for the fences.

There's not enough investigative journalists around anymore.

I loved the golfing story from about a month ago. Here
    Its schlock, very stereotypical, but so good too.
    I think sometimes he just wanders around with a camera seeing if he can make a story. The great thing is that he keeps trying.

i guess i have a problem with that post. he calls himself an investigative reporter, but i just don't think it's that at all. he throws out numbers, his eyebrows jump from side to side, and he concludes something that i just don't think is always there. i worry he's just not right a lot. i've certainly heard some things to suggest it.

Sometimes you just have to call a clown a clown.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/18...e-already-here

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Sometimes you just have to call a clown a clown.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/18...e-already-here
    LOL, well said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast