Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Nine on Third Occupied by WSU Students?

These nine condos on Third Avenue were vacant for years. It appears that students from Wayne State are occupying them. Is this what is happening with them? Personally when I viewed them when they were first offered, they were very small even with two upper floor bedrooms. I've always thought that a way to get around this was to combine two of them and keep one the way it is. Instead of Nine on Third it would become Five on Third.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    These nine condos on Third Avenue were vacant for years. It appears that students from Wayne State are occupying them. Is this what is happening with them? Personally when I viewed them when they were first offered, they were very small even with two upper floor bedrooms. I've always thought that a way to get around this was to combine two of them and keep one the way it is. Instead of Nine on Third it would become Five on Third.
    How do you know they're WSU students?

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Because of their slack, vacuous look and they can't add two plus two?

It's a great start to yuppify Midtown [[ Old Cass Corridor). That area used to be close to subsidized zone filled with low-income black folks and DEAD [[c)KRAK HEADS community near south end of the corridor. Most apts are being rehabbed and fixed up to answer the housing problems for WSU students. I experienced it while is living in Forest Apartments. [[ Not Forest Arms Apts.) in my WSU college years.

I remember when that place was built, in the optimistic pre-real estate collapse days. Even in those wild days of the mid-aughts, it was insane to try to sell those for hundreds of thousands of dollars [[which they were listed for). Then you have low income housing accross the street [[just live there instead!) and Third certainly doesn't get better as you go further down. Ugly, unappealing places too.

Well, Pcm, I did say it "appears" to be Wayne State Students. For one thing, the people coming out of them looked quite young. Secondly, it was the first week of school and many students have moved into that area. I did post a question that asked, "Is this what is happening to them?" Based on the two facts that I mentioned, I could see why I made that statement. Pcm, are you saying that this would not have been your conclusion based on the two facts mentioned? If you have any evidence to disprove my assertion, I would gladly be open to hear it. I mean, I was kinda puttin' it out there that I didn't know for sure what was going on. right? At any rate, it's good to see them being used.

Oh snap! That was mean ---- !

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Because of their slack, vacuous look and they can't add two plus two?

Royce, you don't need me to tell you that what you were really saying was "There are young white kids in that building, now".

Just say that. Don't try to sugarcoat it by calling them WSU kids.

FWIW, I live one block to the west of that development, and you'd swear I'm a "WSU student".

Royce, you don't need me to tell you that what you were really saying was "There are young white kids in that building, now".

Just say that. Don't try to sugarcoat it by calling them WSU kids.

FWIW, I live one block to the west of that development, and you'd swear I'm a "WSU student".
    I dunno. If they're young white kids living there it is a safe bet they are or were WSU students, n'est-pas? I mean, they're probably not Denby students.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I dunno. If they're young white kids living there it is a safe bet they are or were WSU students, n'est-pas? I mean, they're probably not Denby students.
    I mean, what if they were CCS, Marygrove, or UofD students?

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    I mean, what if they were CCS, Marygrove, or UofD students?
    Then royce has indeed committed an unforgivable sin and everyone's outrage is merited.

People have been living there for at least a year, and some of them are not young or white. There is a new landlord who bought the building. Also, I really don't think many of the residents are WSU students.

Thanks, j to the jeremy. That's the kind of information I wanted to know. Pcm, why turn this into a "race" issue? If I had said that I noticed a bunch of "white kids" coming out of the buildings, then someone not white might think I was trying to imply something. Sometimes an observation is just an observation.

all this race shit makes me want to leave michigan, stat

I was a Denby student and I am pretty white. In fact when i went to Denby it had over 4,000 students and they were all white.

While there are a lot of Wayne/CCS students around here, many of the people I meet around Mid/Downtown seem to be college grads.

An observation was made that whatever demographic is living in said building appeared to be WSU students.

I would make the same assumption if the residents were wearing WSU apparel. Or, getting into a car with a WSU sticker.

But that's not what you observed that gave you the student assumption.

Point is, it's annoying as hell that what seems to be the only legitimate reason for living in this area if you're young and white is that you're a WSU student.

Maybe those people are students. I don't know.

I'm arguing with the mindset that you must be a student to live here, otherwise you should be living in Royal Oak.

Seems they've been renamed "Canfield Third Lofts". They're managed by Broder & Sachse Real Estate Services, Inc. of Birmingham and rent out @1100/mo.

http://brodersachse.prospectportal.c...d-third-lofts/

Part of me thought they were originally developed by the late Colin Hubbell, but I could be mistaken.