Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Michigan Science Center?

I'll bet this stirs some feathers! Better then sitting closed.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...under-new-name

Are you fucking kidding me!?

Why the hell do people in this state hate the word/name "Detroit?"

That's why I also refuse to say "SE Michigan" [[just another way to "re-brand" the Detroit region without actually saying "Detroit").
    Last edited by 313WX; September-07-12 at 05:56 PM.

Like.when they renamed East Detroit East Pointe?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Better then sitting closed.
    I agree. Does the name really matter?

I would think the new name is as much about getting a fresh start as anything else. "Detroit Science Center" probably has somewhat of a negative stigma because of the closure.

Quote Originally Posted by splake View Post
    I agree. Does the name really matter?
    But why does the name have to be change in the first place?

GUSHI Guest

Because the companies that are making the donations want it changed, does it matter it's sitting closed, just a name, let's get it back open for the kids,

I find it interesting some folks seem to think they don't live in Michigan. Not too dissimilar from those folk who object to changing Belle Isle into a State park.

It is almost as though folks don't know they live in Michigan, that they are citizens of the State.

Changing the name to the Michigan Science Center is welcoming to groups that do not live in Detroit; and in case you didn't know, the Science Center needs as many out-state groups as possible. More groups = more money = staying open.

Of course, that makes the assumption you want the place to thrive,you you don't care if the place stays closed, just keep doing everything like you've done everything.

The science centre in our town got a corporate rebranding a few years ago after the Telus phone company paid them big bucks. What used to be called Science World became the TELUSsphere. Stupid name. No clue as to what the place is about.

Michigan Science Centre is a fine name. How'd you like to be taking the kids to the Frito-Lay Exploratorium instead?

I'm certainly happy the science center will reopen.Having that fine facility sit idle was a waste&shame to say the least. However I'm not sure I like the name change[[not that what I want/like matters in the slightest). I'm confused by something though. I saw the woman on television say to the effect that[[because of the name change)now children from various parts of the states would be able to take field trip to the Michigan Science Center. Were children from various parts of our state prohibited from taking field trips to the center when it was opened as The Detroit Science Center?

Science Centers are mostly for the kids. The Michigan Science Center may allow more kids to feel like its their Center also. The one in Toronto has always been the Ontario Science Center.

This article from Daniel Howes in The Detroit News gives more information about the restructuring:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

I have some history with the Detroit Science Center. I can say with certainty that the name has no effect on where kids on field trips come from. However, with schools also being financially challenged, field trips are fewer than ever. I'm sorry to see the Detroit name go, but it does carry a lot of baggage. Considering what Ambassador Weiser has done with his own money and influence to get the xxxx Science Center open again, I would say the name change is a small price to pay.

This will be an entirely new non-profit organization. Weiser has been adamant that the new entity will be debt-free and focus more on the education mission -- things that the old Science Center strayed from since its expansion. They probably will use this new rebranding to market it more out of the Detroit area. That's probably what the woman on TV was referring to.

"313WX" and "Detroit Stylin" - why all the vitriol over a name change? That's the kind of attitude that keeps us from pulling out of the "death spiral".

"trotwood" - although the linked article doesn't mention it, let me speculate that the TV talking head may have been referring to plans by the new financial sponsors to provide financial support to enable those school field trips and that they would be extending the support to school districts throughout the state, not just the DPS.

As a member of the board of directors of a historical museum, I know that the loss of field trip funding from school district budgets has had a devastating impact on our youth attendance. Savvy museum directors have worked hard to establish partnerships with private companies and school districts that provide outside funding support so that school field trips can be resumed.
    Last edited by Mikeg; September-08-12 at 09:48 AM.

A name change is no big deal.... just look at the State Theater which became the Palms-State, the Palms, the State, Clubland, Club-X, the State, the Fillmore.

And then there's the Capitol Theatre... which became the Paramount, the Broadway Capitol, the Grand Circus, and the Detroit Opera House.

Gas Building... ANR Building... One Woodward Ave...

First Federal Building... 1001 Woodward...

Eaton Tower... Broderick Tower...

Oriental Theatre.... Downtown RKO Theatre...

TeleNews.... TeleArts... Bleu...

Penobscot Building... City National Building... Penobscot Building...

Preservation Wayne... Preservation Detroit...

... all merely labels...

Hard to know what goes through people's minds, but probably it is mostly just rebranding--the old center went broke [[apparently because of a bad business decision more than lack of patronage, but broke nonetheless) and people trying to reboot it would prefer not to have the baggage.

Bottom line, I know the real reason for the name change. I lived in Detroit too long to know it's not anything otherwise.

It's been the Detroit Science Center since 1970 [[40 years). Why all of a sudden after 40 years does the name have to be changed? Everyone in the country has heard of Detroit, knows where Detroit is, and everyone in this state knows they can visit the Detroit Science Center anytime.

It has nothing at all to do with any baggage being attached. I can almost imagine the conversation taking place in the board room...

"Ok, I'll donate this money, but you've gotta get rid of the Detroit name. It's not only Detroit's Science Center, it belongs to everyone tin SE Michigan to use, not just the people in Detroit. If they want to put "Detroit" name on something, then Detroit can operate it themselves! Besides, I don't want that hellhole of a town being associated with anything I put my name on!"
    Last edited by 313WX; September-08-12 at 03:23 PM.

Sounds like they had to change the name for legal reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Changing the name to the Michigan Science Center is welcoming to groups that do not live in Detroit; and in case you didn't know, the Science Center needs as many out-state groups as possible. More groups = more money = staying open.
    Good point. Detroit should change it's name to Michigan City so people will start to like it again. Why should that town in Indiana get all the love?

Meh. Doesn't quite cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    "313WX" and "Detroit Stylin" - why all the vitriol over a name change? That's the kind of attitude that keeps us from pulling out of the "death spiral".

"trotwood" - although the linked article doesn't mention it, let me speculate that the TV talking head may have been referring to plans by the new financial sponsors to provide financial support to enable those school field trips and that they would be extending the support to school districts throughout the state, not just the DPS.

As a member of the board of directors of a historical museum, I know that the loss of field trip funding from school district budgets has had a devastating impact on our youth attendance. Savvy museum directors have worked hard to establish partnerships with private companies and school districts that provide outside funding support so that school field trips can be resumed.
    Because we know why they did/ are doing it...

.... AHA!!! That explains why they changed the name of the Detroit African American Museum to the Charles A. Wright Museum of African American History... and why there has NEVER been a "Detroit Theatre"... and did anyone ever notice that Detroit St. is not some major thoroughfare... but some 1 block long dead end street starting at Cadieux on the far east side....

... and One Detroit Center was renamed the Comerica Tower... and the Detroit Plaza Hotel later became the Westin and now the Marriott Renaissance Center...

.... and you know who owns and runs the Detroit Opera House?? Why Michigan Opera Theatre of course....

....they're all in cahoots... it's a conspiracy I tell ya.....

Thank you Mikeg.
    I also thank 313&Miwilbert for your tme. I can see both sides of this coin. Thanks again!

Default The Michigan Science Center?

“Like.when THEY renamed East Detroit East Pointe?”

There was a vote taken and the residents, no matter what flavor they were, WANTED to secede from Detroit and change their town's name.

“Because we know why they did/ are doing it...” [[wink, wink, nod, nod)

Just change your handle to “Mich’gan Stylin’…..

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    There was a vote taken and the residents, no matter what flavor they were, WANTED to secede from Detroit and change their town's name. .
    They voted to change the name. They didn't vote to secede from Detroit--East Detroit was never part of Detroit.

Eastponite née East Detroit is not even in Wayne County and doesn't abut our fair City. In fact, before Eastpointe named itself East Detroit, it was called Half Way. Why you ask? Because it was halfway between Detroit and Mt. Clemens.

I wasn't there when it was renamed East Detroit,but I'd bet they chose that name because Detroit was once a symbol of progress and innovation. When it no longer was either, the folks there voted to name themselves after their prosperous neighbors, the Grosse Pointes.

They voted, if you truly respect the democratic process, you'd respect their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Eastponite née East Detroit is not even in Wayne County and doesn't abut our fair City. In fact, before Eastpointe named itself East Detroit, it was called Half Way. Why you ask? Because it was halfway between Detroit and Mt. Clemens.

I wasn't there when it was renamed East Detroit,but I'd bet they chose that name because Detroit was once a symbol of progress and innovation. When it no longer was either, the folks there voted to name themselves after their prosperous neighbors, the Grosse Pointes.

They voted, if you truly respect the democratic process, you'd respect their decision.
    I think it is a good cautionary tale. How is Eastpointe doing these days? Not so hot, right? Guess that name change didn't help much. As much as the suburbs tried to totally disassociate themselves with their big nasty brother for the past 50 years, the chickens have come to roost. Decades of chest-beating that "we're not Detroit" echoing from the ranch houses didn't prevent Detroit from slowly dragging down many of the suburbs with it. Big surprise.

Indian Village homes are obscenely low compared to elsewhere but that certainly does not make a case that they or the neighborhood is undesirable. These homes are often going for half a million dollars. Yes, they'd go for many times that elsewhere, but they're in a crime-ridden, problematic city. However abandonment and blight are extremely low in that sliver of land, as well.

By Bhams analogy, homes in Birmingham are also not desirable, because, after all, in Chicago or New York they'd fetch anywhere from double to ten times what they sell for in blessed Oakland County.

The neighborhoods surrounding Indian Village, are, however, very scary.

The name change of the Science Center is fine. Why would they want to be associated with a failed, shady organization? We are IN Michigan, after all. At least the guy isn't moving it, to, say, fucking Novi, like a certain wanna-be poseur "State Fair." The overriding point it is that it will be reopening.
    Last edited by poobert; September-10-12 at 09:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast