Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Snoop Dogg [[now Snoop Lion) used to live in Detroit - Mlive Detroit link

I had no idea! Thought I'd share this. Enjoy!

Snoop on living in Detroit, working at McDonald's

"The experience I had in Detroit was a hell of an experience because it shaped me, it molded me. I came back from Detroit and I was new and improved."

I wonder what school did he attend

I'm talking about June [[expletive) 1986 on the west side of Eight Mile Road, living with my pops while he was working at the [[expletive) post office right around the corner. I was working in McDonald's, getting up in the morning doing that breakfast shift.

What side of Eight Mile is the west side?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    It's not clear to me. He says:
    The coaches wanted me to come to Cooley High and play basketball and do my thing.
    But then he goes on to say:
    I used to stay on Whitehill Street on the eastside, right by Eastland Mall, ya dig?
    And just so everybody is clear on this...
    So I'm well rooted and tooted and suited and booted.
    He stole that line from me.

Shollin Guest

So did he change his name to Snoop Lion because of the Detroit Lions?

curious. whether it's all just shtick, we'll probably never know, unless you interview his dad..

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    So did he change his name to Snoop Lion because of the Detroit Lions?

No, it was an Operating System upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    No, it was an Operating System upgrade.

Most definitely chemically induced.

hi folks,
    just do a little research based on what most of us know. snoop dog was born in east l.a.
    stop the questions and projections about about some detroit cread.
    if anything, it is a marketing issue to try and give him a cread.

it's just the opposite, that if you ask Diana Ross where she grew up, she wont say that she grew up in the gratiot projects across from eastern market. she wont even say she is from detroit. she married a swedish millionaire and stopped performing. she has been denying her pas for 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    curious. whether it's all just shtick, we'll probably never know, unless you interview his dad..
    Well, I have a relative that knew Snoop's Dad here in Detroit. So yes, I had known for years that he had connections here.

But heres an article from 1999 for proof:

Snoop Doggy Dad

Vernall Varnado rides shotgun on his son's celebrity

AAAComments [[0) By DAVE WIELENGA Thursday, Jan 14 1999

"When I tell people I'm Snoop Doggy Dogg's daddy, the first thing they say is I look too young to be Snoop Doggy Dogg's daddy," says Vernall Varnado, grinning as he puts down his cigarette and his bottle of beer and reaches into his back pocket. "I tell 'em, 'Go ahead and look here in my wallet, and see for yourself how old I am.'"
    Varnado has pulled out his driver's license. He's waiting for you to inspect it, watching while your eyes find the place where it reads "DOB: 12-13-49," enjoying it as you realize that his next birthday will be his 50th. When you look up, Varnado breaks into a loud, choppy laugh.
    "That's right," he cackles. "I don't look it."
    There's hardly a fleck of gray in Varnado's hair, he doesn't need glasses, his smile is straight and white, and his muscled physique exudes a relatively healthy aura, even as he brightens the end of another cigarette and takes a few gulps from a new beer. "Hell, I walked a mail route for 25 years-the last 10 in Detroit," he asserts loudly. "That tells you a lot about me."

This is the link to the full article: http://www.ocweekly.com/1999-01-21/n...oop-doggy-dad/

P.S.: Everything is not a conspiracy

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    it's just the opposite, that if you ask Diana Ross where she grew up, she wont say that she grew up in the gratiot projects across from eastern market. she wont even say she is from detroit. she married a swedish millionaire and stopped performing. she has been denying her pas for 30 years.
    I'm sure A LOT of people who are from Detroit deny their roots here, for one reason or another.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I'm sure A LOT of people who are from Detroit deny their roots here, for one reason or another.
    Apparently people from Rochester too, remember Madonna didn't always have a British accent.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    If he did in fact live on Whitehill, then Denby would have been only a few blocks away.

Of course, there really isn't any post office "right around the corner" from there...