Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Boutique Hotel planned for Eastern Market

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Why Not????

I want a room by the pool.

Attachment 15619

Industrial and Boutique just don't sit right with me, and is it feasible for the area?

We already have the Hotel St. Aubin. Room service is a killer.

Shollin Guest

Did I read correctly it will be made out of shipping containers? Is this a Japanese hotel?

I like the idea that the design incorporates the Dequindre Cut. This is exactly the type of stuff that needs to be built along the path through Eastern Market. Cafes, restaurants, lofts, shops, and hotels all with their "front" door facing the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
    I like the idea that the design incorporates the Dequindre Cut. This is exactly the type of stuff that needs to be built along the path through Eastern Market. Cafes, restaurants, lofts, shops, and hotels all with their "front" door facing the cut.
    Yeah, I do like the idea of using the dequindre cut as a "front" door access.
    But the fact of using containers as a boutique hotel is awkward but unique. I wouldn't mind seeing this come to fruition, despite this project seeming unreal to me.

I think by definition a boutique hotel is quirky and relatively small. This proposal would seem to fit right in. Eastern Market isn't far from where most hotel-users in Detroit would want to be, so it doesn't seem especially dubious to me, relative to other possible small hotels in Detroit.

http://m.facebook.com/DetroitCollisi...70651&refid=17

More interior and exterior photos.

Check out the last 7 pics. Look at Gratiot and much of lower Eastside with ponds and creeks. Multiple wind farms and lush forestry. Great investment, I can embrace this new urban-scaped concept.

http://m.facebook.com/DCDC.UDM?id=27...77202&refid=17

Does this project have solid financing in place, or is it just another pipe dream like so many others that have popped up with pie-in-the-sky renderings, only to vanish when no one will pay for it?

I'm building my boutique hotel in Loveland out of Wikki Stix.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I'm building my boutique hotel in Loveland out of Wikki Stix.
    If you build it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Does this project have solid financing in place, or is it just another pipe dream like so many others that have popped up with pie-in-the-sky renderings, only to vanish when no one will pay for it?
    Generally anything built out of shipping containers falls into the pie-in-the-sky category.

Actually, building with shipping containers is considered "green" in many circles, due to reuse. Some cool designs have materialized.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...KZKHyQHqv4CoAg

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Actually, building with shipping containers is considered "green" in many circles, due to reuse. Some cool designs have materialized.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...KZKHyQHqv4CoAg
    I know its supposedly "hot" now, but unless I see a lot more actually done with the containers IRL, it seems to be the geodesic dome of the 2010's. Personally they look butt-ugly to me, with all the appeal of a worn out single-wide, but clearly that's a matter of individual taste.

What's more pertinent is whether there's someone willing to finance this. Haven't heard boo about that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    I know its supposedly "hot" now, but unless I see a lot more actually done with the containers IRL, it seems to be the geodesic dome of the 2010's. Personally they look butt-ugly to me, with all the appeal of a worn out single-wide, but clearly that's a matter of individual taste.

What's more pertinent is whether there's someone willing to finance this. Haven't heard boo about that yet.
    How about a mix of both? A true Redneck Resort!

Attachment 15632

I think that these type of structures would be perfect to house retail. I could see these structures lining Grand River, Gratiot, Jefferson, and some parts of Woodward filled with stores such as Nike Outlet, Levis, etc. The structure could be easily dismantled if the retail decided to close or go out of business. I would rather have these type of structures for retail or office space than for living space.

GUSHI Guest

How long before the scrappers show up w cutting tourches?

Shipper container projects are infamous for not getting off the ground. The larger the development the less chance it has of making it.

It would be tough to get the financing for shipping container housing even in healthy real estate market. It has nothing to do with whether they look nice or not nor does it have anything to do with whether it would be successful if built. These developers are seen by the bankers as trying to do things on the cheap and the banks won't invest.

Eastern Market's shipping container [[community center) has arrived!!!

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi..._river_default

PaulieG

I bet these folks think this is the stupidest idea ever.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    I bet these folks think this is the stupidest idea ever.

Not if there's ever an Earthquake!

I remember sometime in the 1970s, they built a motel off I-95 in Petersburg, VA. They put up a structural steel framework then had a bunch of units resembling single-wide trailers delivered on flatbeds that were lifted into the structure with a crane. Each was a self-contained motel room built on an assembly line basis in a factory. They just bolted them into the frame work, built a catwalk porch in front of each level of the units, and hooked up the plumbing and electric. The place went up almost overnight. It looked pretty plain vanilla with no redeeming architectural features and the expected service life was probably pretty low.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast