Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Across the water

Hi, I’m new to the forum and would like to introduce myself.I live in Australia and I have been following this forum with avid interestbecause I like the community feel. From this side of the world, my perceptionof American people has changed.
    As I said, I was just introducing myself but would like to comeand visit sometime in the future so I hope you don’t mind me asking a fewquestions.

Welcome to DetroitYes!, Paul!! Please do come and visit...perhaps around Memorial Day next year when we have our Annual Picnic. It would be great to meet you in person. But if it's another time of year, there are a few folks who post here that love to give tours of our City.

Thanks Bluidone, I'm looking forward to visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul from Oz View Post
    Thanks Bluidone, I'm looking forward to visiting.
    Can we ask YOU questions, too?!

Cheers!

Welcome to our world! It will be fun to trade information with you. Where in Australia do you live?

I'll put my order in now. Please bring me Victoria Bitters beer and Bundeberg rum.

When you flush the toilet does the water swirl counter clockwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul from Oz View Post
    Hi, I’m new to the forum and would like to introduce myself.I live in Australia and I have been following this forum with avid interestbecause I like the community feel. From this side of the world, my perceptionof American people has changed.
    As I said, I was just introducing myself but would like to comeand visit sometime in the future so I hope you don’t mind me asking a fewquestions.
    Welcome! Do visit sometime.

I'm intrigued. What was your perception of American people before, and what is it now?

Always keep in mind we are a very disparate nation with a population of over 300 million people, and countless racial, ethnic, economic, regional, lifestyle, and linguistic differences.

We have a lot in common.

Australia was founded by criminals, Detroit is run by criminals.

You have the outback, we have the east side.

You have billabongs, we have bongs.

You drive on the left, so do we.

Captain Cook visited often, we cook our police captains often.

You have a great Opera House with terrible acoustics, we have great acoustics with a terrible opera.

You have bars, we have bars on our windows.

You have huge insects, we have Kwame.

Welcome to Detroit Yes !

I wonder how it feels to be on a continent where you're not the most evolved or best-designed mammal. [[depending on your universal view)

I mean, the randomness of adaptation and/or etereal Creator bumped kangaroo and koala moms with built-in child carriers, protecting them from the dingos and such.

It must feel odd to be left less fit in the whole survival circle.

Glad you made it this far without being eaten!
    Last edited by Gannon; September-05-12 at 01:59 PM.

"When you flush the toilet does the water swirl counter clockwise?"

Ha! You beat me to it. Maybe we should call the international Drainage Commission and find out

Quote Originally Posted by ismoakrack View Post
    "When you flush the toilet does the water swirl counter clockwise?"
    Why are all the women there named Shelia?

Do you have a pet Kangaroo named Joey?

Are Koalas really stoned 24/7?

Does anyone really eat Vegmite?

i am an old ex-detroiter. so ask away. I may know more than you want/

Quote Originally Posted by Oldertimer View Post
    i am an old ex-detroiter. so ask away. I may know more than you want/
    Who's your daddy?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I've had it, although I had it in New Zealand. It's not totally disgusting, actually it's kind of tasty, but it is STRONG.

biggest question - Why did the Australians choose to inflict Fosters on us? it's worse than Budweiser

Most Aussie's don't drink Foster's , but we can thank them for inventing social networking lol

Welcome to the Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Welcome to our world! It will be fun to trade information with you. Where in Australia do you live?
    I live in Brisbane or "Bris Vegas" as a lot of people call it..

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    When you flush the toilet does the water swirl counter clockwise?
    Haha!! Can't say I've really noticed and I'm pretty sure my wife would book me a 'special' room somewhere if I took a video for you!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Welcome! Do visit sometime.

I'm intrigued. What was your perception of American people before, and what is it now?

Always keep in mind we are a very disparate nation with a population of over 300 million people, and countless racial, ethnic, economic, regional, lifestyle, and linguistic differences.
    Thinking about it, I've only met Texans that moved over here and a few holiday makers. They seem to be very loud and full of their own importance. It's very easy to typecast people when you don't know them very well. Years ago, I lived in the UK and the English had a saying for the Welsh: "Wales - where men are men and sheep are frightened"! I'm sure this is pretty much worldwide. Australia and New Zealand have a friendly rivalry in a similar vein. Over the last 20 years, Australia has admitted a variety of different cultures, not only to populate this vast country, but for political or refugee status. Trading with China has vastly increased and so has the Chinese population here. Too much to go through in one serving so I'll save this for another time.
    One of the reasons for joining this forum was to find out about you people and your country because the media here are very introvert. If an alligator eats an Ozzie in the USA, then we'll here about it. Your famous hurricanes will be on TV for 30 seconds in our news...You get the gist? I could go to Wiki and source history items but unless you live among the people, you'll never know them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I wonder how it feels to be on a continent where you're not the most evolved or best-designed mammal. [[depending on your universal view)

I mean, the randomness of adaptation and/or etereal Creator bumped kangaroo and koala moms with built-in child carriers, protecting them from the dingos and such.

It must feel odd to be left less fit in the whole survival circle.

Glad you made it this far without being eaten!
    We seem to be 'Shark fodder' at the moment! The continent has been over fished and the Great Whites are coming closer to shore and picking off a few. They are a protected species here - in fact, virtually everything is protected here except Kangaroos, they are considered vermin.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Why are all the women there named Shelia?

Do you have a pet Kangaroo named Joey?

Are Koalas really stoned 24/7?
    Sheila and Bruce were the most common names years ago.
    I would rather eat it than have one as a pet!
    Yes, Koalas are always stoned...they eat Eucalypt leaves [[half their body weight daily I believe) just the smell of them will get you high!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Yummy...I love Vegemite toast. good Ozzie tucker mate!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast