Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit spends $1.35M a year on security for Mayor Dave Bing

The City of Detroit tried to make people think it's broke. There are a couple of stories coming out soon, showing that it is not true. Some employees in the City of Detroit will be at poverty level [[some police, some fire) with the 10% wage cut. Add into that equation a higher percentage for healthcare and some employees may lose their homes, not be able to pay their bills. This is absolutely unacceptable and Detroit should be embarrassed by this.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...it_spends.html

Leaves you shaking your head that it cost 1.35 for security.
    However there is a huge waste going on in the city regarding both the fire and police departments. This is a huge embarrassement as well.
    10% loss in salary is unfortunate but nobody is going to lose their home over it.

I was told that Detroit needed a businessman, someone to run the city like a business. I didn't buy into this, I wanted Cockrel for mayor. However, many more believe that government should run like a business and Detroit got its businessman. Now Detroit looks far worse off now then it did when Kwame was mayor. Where Kwame represented extreme corruption, Bing represents extreme incompetence. Either way Detroit is screwed. The saddest is part is I bet the next mayor will make both Kwame and Bing look like saints. The future certainly does not look good for this city.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I was told that Detroit needed a businessman, someone to run the city like a business. I didn't buy into this, I wanted Cockrel for mayor. However, many more believe that government should run like a business and Detroit got its businessman. Now Detroit looks far worse off now then it did when Kwame was mayor. Where Kwame represented extreme corruption, Bing represents extreme incompetence. Either way Detroit is screwed. The saddest is part is I bet the next mayor will make both Kwame and Bing look like saints. The future certainly does not look good for this city.
    I think KK exhibited both extreme corruption and incompetence, but by and large I agree with everything you said here.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Leaves you shaking your head that it cost 1.35 for security.
    However there is a huge waste going on in the city regarding both the fire and police departments. This is a huge embarrassement as well.
    10% loss in salary is unfortunate but nobody is going to lose their home over it.
    Don't be too sure about the fact of someone losing their homes. A starting recruit with DPD makes $32,000/yr. 10% less, plus more for healthcare brings the salary down to just about poverty level. Unless they apply for State aid, they may fall into that hole and lose much more than their homes. Unless the wife or husband is working and bringing in additional monies, a person can't live and provide for a family. While Bing has his bodyguards and is a millionaire, his employees are working for pennies and there is not much hope for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Don't be too sure about the fact of someone losing their homes. A starting recruit with DPD makes $32,000/yr. 10% less, plus more for healthcare brings the salary down to just about poverty level. Unless they apply for State aid, they may fall into that hole and lose much more than their homes. Unless the wife or husband is working and bringing in additional monies, a person can't live and provide for a family. While Bing has his bodyguards and is a millionaire, his employees are working for pennies and there is not much hope for the future.
    Agree. Many administrative positions within the department may not even make that much. If a person barely qualified for a mortgage under the 38 percent rule, they are going to be in big trouble.

"10% loss in salary is unfortunate but nobody is going to lose their home over it."

I think that without knowing the specifics of someone's financial situation, you have no way of knowing what effect a 10% salary reduction will have on them.

I think Bing's doing OK, given the massive mess. Cleaning out corruption is a multi-year process. Just look how hard everyone is fighting EFMs. That same battle is going on between Bing and the corrupt/stupid/bigoted/stubborn/naysayers. This is a long battle. We've spent years creating a city government that functioned to distribute funds on the basis of patronage. It will take years and years to change that culture back to a government based on competence and honesty. An organizations culture is very hard to change -- and made doubly hard because power is so distributed. Mayor / Council / Committees / Voters / Consultants / Department Heads / Lawyers / and so on.

Also worth noting that while Bing may fit under the 'businessman' umbrella, I don't think you can get him close to Romney or Bloomberg or Gates.

So back on topic.... $1.35m on security is probably a giant step forward in comparison to the costs for Kwame's detail. $1.35m probably represents the cost of about 12 men, all-in. Per the NYTimes, Kwame: 'At times, his bodyguards numbered nearly two dozen.' -- which would likely cost around $2m. So progress is good. But in a city where the Secret Service loses U-Haul's to theft, and carjackings are hardly rare, Bing does need protection. And if he were to really start cleaning up corruption, he'd need even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    "10% loss in salary is unfortunate but nobody is going to lose their home over it."

I think that without knowing the specifics of someone's financial situation, you have no way of knowing what effect a 10% salary reduction will have on them.
    That's correct. Some people who get a 10% increase will still lose their house.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    But in a city where the Secret Service loses U-Haul's to theft, and carjackings are hardly rare, Bing does need protection.
    I live in the same city he does, and I sure as shit don't have twelve bodyguards.

Cockrell??? ROTFLMAO You cant be serious. Talk about embarrasing? Corrupt? he's the most corrupt guy down there. He gave COBO away for nothing in return. He LIED on his paperwork to get on the ballet. He should not have even been on the Ballet for city Council let alone Mayor cause he didnt pay his dues like EVERY OTHER CANDIDATE. He lied on his questioneer and said he did pay it. After the fact they found out he didnt and the man w/ a family of 4 or five that makes 75k a year miraculous came up w/ 42k in 2 days. WTF was that about? When asked why didnt he pay he replied "someone told him he was OK" but refused to name who. But this is the guy you want. I have plenty of other info on this guy and numerous lawsuits that have been filed and settled against him. You Obviously rely on the Media to tell you who's good and bad

1.35m on security for ONE PERSON is rediculous. Where's LeDuff @ on this one. Why hasnt he ran up on Bing for ANYTHING. WTF is that about???

This article is dated Nov 2010. Why is it being brought back up now? Interesting information nonetheless about the cost of security and it does make sense to ask given the lack of resources is this the best use of them.

The City of Detroit tried to make people think it's broke. There are a couple of stories coming out soon, showing that it is not true. Some employees in the City of Detroit will be at poverty level [[some police, some fire) with the 10% wage cut. Add into that equation a higher percentage for healthcare and some employees may lose their homes, not be able to pay their bills. This is absolutely unacceptable and Detroit should be embarrassed by this.

While I agree with much of what has been said about Detroit's waste, I wonder why you didn't point out that you were posting a nearly 2 year old article? If we're going to take pot shots at the city's waste, certainly there are more recent examples. If you still think it's relevant enough to post, it would be nice to find some current numbers, such as what the security detail costs today. Most of us might still think it's too much, but in lieu of all the cutbacks, it would be nice to compare the cutbacks in security against cutbacks in other city departments and services.

Edit: Sorry to be redundant detbest. You posted as I was writing my post.
    Last edited by downtownguy; September-04-12 at 06:13 PM.

Just sick...

I don't think its embarrassing as he is the mayor of a city that has high crime rate of murders and theft.

Unions are more to blame for the wage cut and poverty. Why should a worker be forced to give up part of his wage for the union? If the company goes on strike, the worker is also forced to give up his working hours which also hurts the company and loses profits. Makes more sense for a company to move out of detroit and Michigan to a place where this does not happen. So these people are in poverty due to the union actions.

Quote Originally Posted by detbest View Post
    This article is dated Nov 2010. Why is it being brought back up now? Interesting information nonetheless about the cost of security and it does make sense to ask given the lack of resources is this the best use of them.
    I received the article from a reliable source and never paid any attention to the date. However, if $1.35M was being spent in 2010 you can bet that a lot more money is being spent on security today....not less.

I have a book that the City sends out once in a blue moon giving the financial status of the City...don't know how recent it is but I will see if there is any new amounts on security and post it.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    I live in the same city he does, and I sure as shit don't have twelve bodyguards.
    1) You're not the one who is working to root out corruption, either. Elliot Ness needed more security than the average resident of Chicago, too. OK, Bing's no Ness -- but you get the idea.

Protecting those who are fighting corruption is quite necessary.

[[btw, this is an old article, I see -- so this has nothing to do with what's happening today. We're beating up Dave B while its possible that this figure is a fraction of this today. Does anyone know?)

at least one city councilperson has openly called for an accompanying personal security presence "whenever" they go out to a public event.. alas, more money spent, of course, because some officials occasionally get threats from nuts..

Interesting. I wonder how many 'ghost' employees are on the cities payrolls?

Weed them out and pay police and fire.

The City of Detroit tried to make people think it's broke. There are a couple of stories coming out soon, showing that it is not true.

When KK was in office his security was his entourage, 21 in all. When Bing came in there was probably some spill over. Im curious what the expense for security is now.
    Its amazing how people will drum up anything on Bing that they can use to their advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by 313hero View Post
    He LIED on his paperwork to get on the ballet. He should not have even been on the Ballet for city Council let alone Mayor cause he didnt pay his dues like EVERY OTHER CANDIDATE.
    I seriously could not imagine Kenny "Shreck" Cockrell dancing ballet.

You sniping aside [[the dude has been on Council for about 20 years now and has never been seriously implicated in anything), he was my guy too.

The media drowned him out. The family man from the neighborhood with plenty of experience was overshadowed by the feeble, failed, yet wealthy suburban businessman. I was shaking my head through the whole campaign.

Bing IS absolutely incompetant. He better have that security detail, because I'd like more than anything to knock his old ass out for the way he stared at the wall for the past 4 years [[in Franklin) and did nothing while those of us who still care are fighting the good fight with boots on the ground. It isn't the manner of mess he inherited, it is his inability to follow-through with any tough decision making. His office has become a revolving door thanks to his inept management. His steel firm, which connected folks have widely attested was kept afloat through minority contract awards, went under too. Detroit Works? What happend to that? Officers, city workers, and firefighters in the neighborhood? Those of us with the inside scoop discovered that was nothing more than a press release with nothing behind it. One minute he's working with Snyder, then he double-crosses him with council [[who he has never had any kind of working relationship with). Just take a stand, damnit.

The man is an abject disgrace who was good for nothing but dribbling a basketball. Now he's dribbling all over his suit in the mayor's office while Detroit burns.

Cockrel paid his dues, and to me can be trusted.
    Perhaps paying your dues in Detroit politics is to be corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    It will take years and years to change that culture back to a government based on competence and honesty.
    This statement is hilarious.

What government anywhere is based on competence and honesty?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    What government anywhere is based on competence and honesty?
    Why, in Detroit, Michigan* my friend! You should come visit one day. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself and perhaps decide to stay!

*Posted from the future. Your mission is to make it so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast