Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tailgating lots in Detroit for Lions games

Since the building of the new jail on Gratiot. I have lost my tailgating lot of the past 7 years.

I was wondering if anyone else knows of a good lot to tailgate in [[other tailgaters, busy, passionate fans) with perhaps a port-o-john? I usually pay $30/game and I am looking for something relatively close [[4-5 blocks tops) as a friend cannot walk too far for games.

Any experiences to share?

Thank you all very much! Go Lions!!

Park @ Nemo's and take the shuttle. This will work out well for those with mobility problems, if they are able to board a standard old school-school bus!

Used to tailgate by Eastern Market. It's a bit of a hike for somebody who cant walk far.

the lot in front of rocky's in eastern market are reserved spots. you can get there early and park other places and get a ride on the vivio's shuttle bus. it the official sanctioned tailgate spot. always a lively place with lots of fun happening.

Thanks All. Eastern Market is a tad far [[have tailgated there before).

Detroitplanner, thanks but we like to tailgate. I guess I will drive around and see; thought some folks might know a few good places.

Thanks again.

I'm not into the tailgating scene, but I do recall an article last year from the freep or Detnews, about folks who party inside the old Michigan Theater. You'll recall the Michigan Theater is on Bagley and was gutted and turned into a parking garage circa 1975.

The parking garage has been a fav of filmmakers within the last decade. It was in Emenim's film 8 Mile. So, if I was going to tailgate I'd rather do it in an interesting location. For my money, the Michigan fits that bill.

Gistok knows the folks who own the building, so you might want to pm him for the inside scoop.

A quick googling reveals a lot of info about tailgating at the MT. They even have a Facebook page. Check it out.

Gnome, great find, I never knew that. You can actually cook out in the ramp.
    Never been a big tailgater but that would be cool as hell.
    The last few years I park in the Compuware ramp, go to the Hard Rock, get a drink and they validate the parking ticket. I know, what a cheap bastard...

Default Michigan Theater

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I'm not into the tailgating scene, but I do recall an article last year from the freep or Detnews, about folks who party inside the old Michigan Theater. You'll recall the Michigan Theater is on Bagley and was gutted and turned into a parking garage circa 1975.

The parking garage has been a fav of filmmakers within the last decade. It was in Emenim's film 8 Mile. So, if I was going to tailgate I'd rather do it in an interesting location. For my money, the Michigan fits that bill.

Gistok knows the folks who own the building, so you might want to pm him for the inside scoop.
    That lot is no longer available. It was a great tailgate spot but the owners said they had too much vandalism.

Are you sure the former Michigan Theatre tailgating has closed? They always had a loyal clientele and the building owners son Matt manages the tailgating... and besides... what's there to vandalize.... ornate plasterwork? The indoor parking is secured with security gates at the entrance, so the only thing I can think of is auto vandalism... and with all the security... I don't see trouble makers getting in and out at will... unless they're paid tailgaters there....

And the other reason I believe they're still open is because the Bagley Bar & Grille is only open during tailgating times....
    Last edited by Gistok; September-08-12 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Are you sure the former Michigan Theatre tailgating has closed? They always had a loyal clientele and the building owners son Matt manages the tailgating... and besides... what's there to vandalize.... ornate plasterwork? The indoor parking is secured with security gates at the entrance, so the only thing I can think of is auto vandalism... and with all the security... I don't see trouble makers getting in and out at will... unless they're paid tailgaters there....

And the other reason I believe they're still open is because the Bagley Bar & Grille is only open during tailgating times....
    I talked to both Matt and his brother Mike and they said no more football. I've tailgated there about 5 years and I loved it. I hope they change their minds.