Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Truck with U.S. Secret Service equipment stolen in Detroit

Thieves stole a U-Haul truck in downtown Detroit Saturday night containing equipment for the U.S. Secret Service, which is in town for a Labor Day visit by Vice President Joe Biden.
    “It won’t affect the visit at all,” said Secret Service spokesman Edward Donovan. “We would never compromise the security of a visit.”
    Donovan said the agency rented the truck to haul equipment, some of which was in the vehicle when it was stolen from outside a downtown hotel, near the intersection of Washington Boulevard and Michigan Avenue. The agents left the vehicle Saturday evening and discovered it missing Sunday morning, Donovan said.
    He wouldn’t describe the equipment inside but said the agency will have everything it needs to secure Biden’s visit.
    Detroit police are investigating the theft, but referred all questions to the Secret Service.
    “It’s a local matter at this point,” Donovan said. “We’ll work with them.”

http://www.freep.com/article/2012090...2029/1001/news

I'm sorry, but this is funny to me.

Not laughing at the crime...just the juxtaposition.

Wonder where this'll lead.

Far as I can figure, if the Maker Faire people can turn their loss into a drug bust, this should completely shut down the entire criminal element in Detroit.

Oh boy...

This is going to make for some great political talking points.

To me, this says more about the Secret Service procedures than it does about Detroit. Seems strange that they would leave a truck with secret service equipment relatively unsecured.

Of course, I am not in anyway downplaying the crime rate in Detroit by making the above statement. Just wanted to get that out there before I was accused of blaming the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    To me, this says more about the Secret Service procedures than it does about Detroit. Seems strange that they would leave a truck with secret service equipment relatively unsecured.

Of course, I am not in anyway downplaying the crime rate in Detroit by making the above statement. Just wanted to get that out there before I was accused of blaming the victim.
    Shit, man, our reputation just keeps getting better. Right now, these are two of the top four headlines on the Detroit News web site:

"Secret Service truck stolen in downtown Detroit", the topic of this thread. Then:

"Godbee calls for probe after suspect has to turn himself in twice"

You just can't make this shit up.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Shit, man, our reputation just keeps getting better. Right now, these are two of the top four headlines on the Detroit News web site:

"Secret Service truck stolen in downtown Detroit", the topic of this thread. Then:

The story earlier in the week of the wallet of a carjacking suspect being left in the victims car and undiscovered by the police was bad enough. The story about the cops not showing up to pick up double murder suspect was just unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    The story earlier in the week of the wallet of a carjacking suspect being left in the victims car and undiscovered by the police was bad enough. The story about the cops not showing up to pick up double murder suspect was just unbelievable.
    Ya wonder if they left it with the Book-Caddy's valet, or just parked it at the curb on Washington?!

How amazingly stupid...what is out-of-place more than a U-Haul truck parked outside the Book? It would be greater news if it HADN'T been stolen...

Cheers!

There was a time not too long ago when an unattended rental truck parked outside a downtown building would have gotten a whole LOT of attention.

And people wonder why we have the highest auto insurance rates in the country. What hope does an average guy have when the Secret Service can't keep a truck from being boosted.

Through no fault of his own, Biden looks like a fool, the SS a tool, and the City a stool.

Secret Service was too busy getting high and looking for hookers to notice their crap getting jacked. Welcome to Detroit, ya goons.

I think it's just a scam to get the insurance money.

The theft of a U-Haul truck in the in the general scheme of things is a non event; but when coupled with "Detroit"; "Biden" and "Secret" Service it's a joke. And we know that if the thief has left his wallet on the front seat there's a good chance the "Police" will never find it. The Service report it's loss will have no effect on Biden's visit - so you have to wonder why it was needed in the first case.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post

Keep in mind that it's not the police on patrol or in the districts that are at fault for not picking this suspect up, it's the fault of the Commanders, the Lieutenants, the higher ups sitting behind the desk that are not doing their jobs designating responsibilities. Police Communications are at fault as well. The cops who are taking a huge hit on their pay and healthcare costs can only do what they are told to do. They only act if they see something going on, but if no one tells them where to go for a particular reason, that's not the officer on the streets fault.
    Too many of these hard working men and women on the streets are getting blamed for Godbee's lack of command abilities.

GUSHI Guest

Welcome to Detroit, if in not bolted down, it likely to be stolen, and sometimes if it is bolted down, still may be stolen.

They will scrap the bolts and then steal it.

To Zeidman's Pawn shop......

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I'm sorry, but this is funny to me.

Not laughing at the crime...just the juxtaposition.

Wonder where this'll lead.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-03-12 at 10:54 AM.

AND SOME HAVE GIVEN UP HAVING INSURANCE!

Poetry in motion G. HAH!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Through no fault of his own, Biden looks like a fool, the SS a tool, and the City a stool.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-03-12 at 10:53 AM.

Oh man, this story is everywhere. It only confirms people's impressions of Detroit.

Detroit needs to capitalize somehow on the tag line "Only In Detroit"!

It should be part of the "Pure Michigan" campaign.
    Last edited by Wheels; September-03-12 at 06:24 PM.

This wasnt Detroits fault - it was the Secret Service who was at fault. Are they going to tell everybody what was stolen - i.e. were there weapons taken from the truck ?

Im sure a few HK MP5s and FN P90s on the streets of Detroit wont really hurt anybody...

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    This wasnt Detroits fault - it was the Secret Service who was at fault. Are they going to tell everybody what was stolen - i.e. were there weapons taken from the truck ?

Im sure a few HK MP5s and FN P90s on the streets of Detroit wont really hurt anybody...

I thought they have now reported that it was metal detectors that were on the truck

...and no guns.

superduperman Guest

Truck has been found.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast