Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Graffiti

I dont think I have ever seen anyone discussing graffiti on this forum before, and I am curious what everybodys opinion of Detroit's graffiti is.

After the the Detroit Beautification Project started, I have noticed an absolute explosion of graffiti - both quantity and quality. I have never seen this much in the last 20 years.

I started a FB page for Detroit graffiti here:
    https://www.facebook.com/GraffitiArchive

Actually..... I think it's been discussed quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I dont think I have ever seen anyone discussing graffiti on this forum before, and I am curious what everybodys opinion of Detroit's graffiti is.

After the the Detroit Beautification Project started, I have noticed an absolute explosion of graffiti - both quantity and quality. I have never seen this much in the last 20 years.

I started a FB page for Detroit graffiti here:
    https://www.facebook.com/GraffitiArchive

Short memory?

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-Project/page2

hahahaha ! oh my, it really HAS been discussed before ?

Ms. Netiquette says^, "It's never too nice to post a sarcasm alert."

Nice graffiti collection.

You put the stick in the wasp's nest, mauser, but they didn't really swarm this time. Think they know that's what you wanted..

I wanted people to look at the graffiti link, and they are. The rest can dribble over my dumb intro. Lowell - duly noted, I thought about the sarcasm tag after I posted that...

Mausers back??

I like the newspaper and ink pieces that Ive seen behind Avalon in the alley.

BTW Mauser. Dont forget Dally and the martini couch. Looking forward to
    pouring you one.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Mausers back??

I like the newspaper and ink pieces that Ive seen behind Avalon in the alley.

BTW Mauser. Dont forget Dally and the martini couch. Looking forward to
    pouring you one.
    Ill make a point of it Django !

Wow I would have never thought that the Detroit Beautification Program would increase the rate of obscene trashy graffiti.

I love it. In most cases, it takes drab, dull, unused space, and brings it to life!

My favorite:

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Wow I would have never thought that the Detroit Beautification Program would increase the rate of obscene trashy graffiti.

What are you talking about?! GASM, ELMER, MELO, AIRES and a handful of other Detroit artists have really stepped their game since the DBP. Put it down before you hurt yourself old son......

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    What are you talking about?! GASM, ELMER, MELO, AIRES and a handful of other Detroit artists have really stepped their game since the DBP. Put it down before you hurt yourself old son......
    Could you please explain that to Detroitnerd?

Whoever did this is a social parasite. One with a bunch of wanna-bes hanging on his jock, sure, but nonetheless, a parasite.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Their stuff is still crap in my opinion. Yes, maybe their letters have gotten neater but it is the same old crappy stuff with zero complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post

its not surposed to look like cali style, we are in the D.

that house has been open to tresppass for over a year, on the auction at least once, and completly scrapped before any grafitti went on it, so who ever is all bent out of shape b/c it got painted should chill...painted is way better than burned.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Their stuff is still crap in my opinion. Yes, maybe their letters have gotten neater but it is the same old crappy stuff with zero complexity.

No you're right MELO and AIRES haven't progressed at all and GASM isn't using a completely different color palette while adding a whole new element to his shading. You're right you got me.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Whoever did this is a social parasite. One with a bunch of wanna-bes hanging on his jock, sure, but nonetheless, a parasite.
    I agree - if you are talking about the big stupid red TYREE GUYTON DOT on that house....

Again - do you zealots want his address ? The people on the GASM thread are taking up a bounty on the heads of graffiti vandals. I'll let you collect on "Dr." Guyton.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyarm View Post
    I love it. In most cases, it takes drab, dull, unused space, and brings it to life!
    I agree. We have a beautification program where I live with similar graffiti art pieces. They're beneath viaducts, in alleys, and tunnels. Helps energize what was once drab, dreg-stained concrete. As for illegal graffiti, residents should be able to call and have it laser removed same day. Detroit should do the same for active buildings. Illegal graffiti is a difficult public nuisance to resolve, and residents and business owners shouldn't be expected to have to pay and spend time cleaning it up. That's why "graffiti buster" programs exist and are well funded in many cities. At the same time, cities realize it has its appropriate place and will provide space where appropriate and available.

Art is subjective and there will always be some people that oppose it. But because of the prominence of the legally commissioned graffiti pieces, I would assume there's majority public acceptance.
    Last edited by wolverine; September-04-12 at 06:17 PM.

Very well spoken, Wolverine.

Drive into any neighborhood in the city an you'll see the effects of vandalism, theft and arson. Residential block after residential block has been destroyed, entire business districts lie in ruins. How anyone could condone the wanton defacing of property is beyond me.

I truly believe that there are a lot of people who are completely happy with the current state of the city, some may even have a peculiar type of perverse pride in living in an area so dysfunctional in so many ways.

My favorite old graffiti was on a Lodge overpass.
    One person had painted "Free Chairman Gonzalo" and someone added "with every purchase"

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    I can count the work of at least 5 different painters on that building.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast