Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Freep - Terri Lynn Land won't run for governor

http://freep.com/article/20090625/NE...n+for+governor

Land backs Bouchard, won't run for governor
    Decision a surprise to supporters

BY KATHLEEN GRAY • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • JUNE 25, 2009

Republican Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land surprised supporters today with the decision that she will not run for governor in 2010 and instead will endorse Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard for the state’s top job.

Most people had assumed she would jump in because she chartered a plane to deliver her decision in Grand Rapids and Troy this morning.

But Land, who can’t run for re-election because of term limits, said after months of careful deliberation, she decided against the costly, time consuming and grueling run.

Other GOP candidates who decided to drop out of the race – Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson and U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers – did so in a press release without much fanfare. But Land said she wanted to make the announcement with Bouchard, who traveled to Grand Rapids for her 9 a.m. news conference and was expected to be at her side in Troy at 11 a.m.

“The challenges ahead are great,” she said. “I believe Michigan needs a leader like Mike Bouchard.”

The decision leaves the Republican race without a female candidate and so far includes: Attorney General Mike Cox, Bouchard, U.S. Rep.Pete Hoekstra and state Sen. Tom George. On the Democratic side, Lt. Gov. John Cherry is emerging as the most prominent candidate, but others looking at the race include state Rep. Alma Wheeler Smith, former state Rep. John Freeman, former MSU football coach George Perles and former Flint Mayor Don Williamson.

MIRepublic Guest

This was a surprise, to me. Surprised that she chose not to run, and then surprised that she didn't back Hoekstra, instead. I easily thought her to be the most likely to win if she got the nomination. Boy, am I glad that she threw her weight behind Bouchard, though. If he couldn't even compete with sub-standard Debbie, it actually means that boring-and-uninspiring-as-sin Cherry has a chance. lol

I really do hope that we see surprise candidates on both sides come out of the woodwork, because the current crop on both sides are just plain horrible.

This could shape up to be one of the worst races for governor in recent memory with all these uninspiring candidates.

actually, we have had a string of them

I agree IM, the republican's would have won last time if it was not for their out of the frying pan and into the fire choice. Less of the two evils was the choice we had.

An uninspiring list of candidates, from both parties. I'm from the ABC school. Anyone But Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I agree IM, the republican's would have won last time if it was not for their out of the frying pan and into the fire choice. Less of the two evils was the choice we had.
    Wha?? Look at the voting patterns and totals. The Dems could have ran a trained seal statewide in 2006 and won. In fact, they did with the MSU Board candidates...

Suprised Land didn't back Hoekstra to solidify the west mich, jesus-freak bloc.

She must think Bouchard is best candidate against Cherry.

Unless she thinks Cox and Bouchard will split SE MI and leave Hoekstra path? I think Hoekstra's best candidate. Cherry hasn't distinguished himself besides being Jenny's boy.

I'm sure we're gonna hear how GOP candidates will restore economy by bringing Big 3 market share back up to 70%. Maybe they can make me look like Brad Pitt as well...

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
    ...I think Hoekstra's best candidate...

orly? http://hoekstraisameme.com/

He's barely fit to be a house rep, let alone governor.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    This could shape up to be one of the worst races for governor in recent memory with all these uninspiring candidates.
    Amen to that.... Cherry has an unfortunate resemblence to rival airline owner [[and all around buffoon) "Roy Biggins" from the TV comedy show "WINGS"....

Whether TLL runs for governor or not I thought she did a bang up job as the Secretary of State. The last few times of having to go to their dreaded offices, the lines seem to move a little quicker, there was some automation [[ATM type machines for tabs) and what I liked from a tax payer's POV is that her name isn't plastered on EVERYTHING- unlike Candice Miller who seemed to make all of the offices a billboard for her name.

I can understand some printed things need the person's name on it but Miller dropped her name on everything. And when she left office, whoever the successor had to remove all of that at our expense.

I like politicians who understand the office and title but aren't above it. For years there, I thought I had to go to Candice Miller's place to get my license & tabs. UGH.