Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My original intent for posting this thread was about a small group of taggers who have plastered their banal crap all over the city, clearly the product of their vast wasteland of imagination. Fifth grade bubble letters, repeated hundreds of times all over the city is more territorial pissing than 'art.'

Would anybody here be willing to contribute to a bounty for these hooligans? I will check with the police to see if such a thing is possible. And with police pay cut, perhaps we could offer a reward to the officer who arrests the 'artists,' leading to a conviction?

Talking about Heidelberg is a diversion, to sidetrack the real issue here. Porab/Gasam/Elmer/Chaos have totally defaced entire neighborhoods.
    Last edited by Fulcanelli; September-04-12 at 01:48 PM. Reason: more information

yea its all their fault...wanna buy a bridge??

I would rather chip in and buy them paint!

We dont have art classes for 5th graders here in Detroit, so they have a bit more talent than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworthfarms View Post
    yea its all their fault...wanna buy a bridge??
    Of course it is not ALL their fault, but this gang has been so instrumental is tagging so many locations that starting with them would be a first step...and it would discourage others to step up to the plate and carry on their tradition.

All this tagging is very costly for the city, when they get around to cleaning up their mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcanelli View Post
    My original intent for posting this thread was about a small group of taggers who have plastered their banal crap all over the city, clearly the product of their vast wasteland of imagination. Fifth grade bubble letters, repeated hundreds of times all over the city is more territorial pissing than 'art.'

Would anybody here be willing to contribute to a bounty for these hooligans? I will check with the police to see if such a thing is possible. And with police pay cut, perhaps we could offer a reward to the officer who arrests the 'artists,' leading to a conviction?

Talking about Heidelberg is a diversion, to sidetrack the real issue here. Chaos have totally defaced entire neighborhoods.
    Calm down old son and behave yourself. A bounty?! Are you out of your fucking mind [[pardon my french) but you are retarded. Straight up retarded. I have no idea why I am even justifying a response to a stupid idea, but you sound like moron. The police in this city have more pressing issues to cater to, especially with recent cuts, than chase a bunch of ARTISTS and yes I did say ARTISTS. So please give out of the pool now!

So anybody that is interested in seeing the city progress needs to get out of the pool?? I would bet there are some that would love the total anarchy aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Let me just point out how awesome GASM is, please note the fine picture in the attached article. I met the Cranbrook students that built this house, awesome guys. Now who deserves recognition and praise?

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2012/0...newal-efforts/
    People should me more annoyed with the hack who runs that horrible Motor City Muckraker website than this GASM character.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So anybody that is interested in seeing the city progress needs to get out of the pool?? I would bet there are some that would love the total anarchy aspect.
    Actually dick if you did some research you would see that street art helps preserve and recreate neighborhoods, take Primary Flight/Wynwood of Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Calm down old son and behave yourself. A bounty?! Are you out of your fucking mind [[pardon my french) but you are retarded. Straight up retarded. I have no idea why I am even justifying a response to a stupid idea, but you sound like moron. The police in this city have more pressing issues to cater to, especially with recent cuts, than chase a bunch of ARTISTS and yes I did say ARTISTS. So please give out of the pool now!
    Is flaming your best talent? You need to examine yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I do not agree with many things the state is doing but on the other hand if they had not stepped in what would the results have been?
    >Do you see graffiti in say Birmingham,Romulus,Gross point etc.? .
    There is never an excuse in this nation for suspending democracy. Thats just plain totalitarianism, which I do not subscribe to. The Governor[[s) took over the Detroit Public Schools, and under their Emergency Financial Manager all the same crazy sh*t has been happening, except now some EFM is making huge amounts of money on top of the existing problems.

Yes, I see graffiti in the Grosse Pointes. I have no idea how the population perceives any of it. The police and the municipalities are on top of it so it does not spread like in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    As for Guyton - that I know of , he has never ruined a brick building that does not belong to him with irremovable spray paint. As far as I have seen, his work can all be easily remediated.
    Again: click this link and stop saying that he doesnt ruin buildings that he does not own.

http://goo.gl/maps/WZJPo

Tyree Guyton is not a red herring, he does graffiti. If you folks want to bitch about graffiti, okay - let's do it. But you can not exclude Detroit's #1 vandal in the process without being hypocritical windbags.

You want to be self proclaimed art critics ? Okay fine, then explain to me the artistic merit of the Tyree Guyton slop dots. Those are sure artistic.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Actually dick if you did some research you would see that street art helps preserve and recreate neighborhoods, take Primary Flight/Wynwood of Miami.
    Well if you did your research you would see that at the June 2008 NoGraf Network Conference of experts from the U.S. and around the world, the annual costs of graffiti was now estimated to be $25 Billion in the US.

Just think if that same amount of money was spent on homelessness and education,what about the business owner that is struggling to feed their family and receives that letter from the city requesting that they paint over the graffiti or get fined,real pride in taking food from families.

Maybe you should do a bit of research and realize the impact of a few on so many lives for thier 15 minutes of so called fame .

http://graffiti911.com/costs.php
    Last edited by Richard; September-04-12 at 05:14 PM.

So Richard is saying stop spending money on chasing graffiti and spend the money on homelessness and hunger....?

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    So Richard is saying stop spending money on chasing graffiti and spend the money on homelessness and hunger....?

No,Richard is saying have a Coke and a smile.

Look in the mirror.

We're all laying down graffiti right here, right now.

Orelha Negra - M.I.R.I.A.M. X Vhils

If you're going to do it, do it well.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-04-12 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    There is never an excuse in this nation for suspending democracy. Thats just plain totalitarianism, which I do not subscribe to. The Governor[[s) took over the Detroit Public Schools, and under their Emergency Financial Manager all the same crazy sh*t has been happening, except now some EFM is making huge amounts of money on top of the existing problems.

Yes, I see graffiti in the Grosse Pointes. I have no idea how the population perceives any of it. The police and the municipalities are on top of it so it does not spread like in Detroit.
    The 'graffiti' in the Grosse Pointes is worthless markerscrawls on signs and posts, by a bunch of just-graduated South students who are up the asses of barely better Packard Plant writers. S0o0 talentless and, thankfully, removed quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcanelli View Post

Talking about Heidelberg is a diversion, to sidetrack the real issue here. Porab/Gasam/Elmer/Chaos have totally defaced entire neighborhoods.
    Maybe all you haters can get your "bounty" money together and see if you can't use it to get Gray Ghost [[a.k.a. Fred Radtke) to move up here from New Orleans. For years, Radtke, his trusty .45 always by his side, guerilla buffed the Crescent City, always in gray, most often within 72 hours of the graffiti going up. Then he got busted for going over a legal wall by Harsh and lost his court case. So now he's barely active down there, as he needs permission for every wall he slaps his boring, drab gray paint on.
    If you think the graffiti is vandalism wait until you see how depressing a city looks when the Gray Ghost runs it. And be sure he puts a gray rectangle over all those polka dots! How all you hypocrites on here can call big 5-color pieces people invest hours working on "vandalism", and not some slapdash polka dots, requiring little time and even less talent, that some attention whore has applied by the thousands all over the city is beyond me.
    Fred Radtke, your new hero! Even though he is just another vandal on an ego trip...
    Last edited by KJ5; September-04-12 at 11:46 PM.

One point that doesn't seem to make it into this discussion is the people living in Detroit and the impact all this has on the citizens, some whom are trapped in the city and are unable to move away. Take a drive down Warren from Grand River to Wyoming, and just look how 'beautiful' the area is with Chaos, Gasm, Elmer, etc. plastered everywhere.

Detroit has enough issues to deal with already without the added burden of the expense of trying to remove the 'art' from the walls.
    Last edited by Fulcanelli; September-05-12 at 06:37 AM.

porab elmer gasm and Co. do the community a great service. They should be thanked and paid if anything. Making the thousands of ugly unsalvageable buildings that litter Detroit a little less depressing to look at.

If only there was as much hatred for most property owners that have let their properties languish for DECADES.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    If only there was as much hatred for most property owners that have let their properties languish for DECADES.
    cough...matty...cough

EXCELLENT POINT Islandman. What looks worse, giant blown out buildings, or some words and pictures on said buildings ? Misplaced priorities - gone wild.

A brick surface is inherently pleasing. It doesn't need someone's street name on it.

While I agree with your statement, a brick surface with blown out windows, water damage, no doors, trees sprouting off the roof is no longer so pleasant.

Not condoning the tagging, not at all. I wish that the city would fine every single property owner for the condition of their property. Hell, this could put a big dent in that pesky budget crisis.

Imagine if the city was as energetic with building enforcement as they are with parking enforcement as of late.

Well one thing can be said- these guys spend more time in and around the city than most people. Perhaps we should approach them and discuss the statistics. Billions of dollars that would otherwise be spent on the homeless... give me a break. If you're so passionate about saving the neighborhood, take action. Put down the camera and pick up a club, hot-shot. Otherwise, shut-up and stay on the sidelines with the rest of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by splake View Post
    Well one thing can be said- these guys spend more time in and around the city than most people. Perhaps we should approach them and discuss the statistics. Billions of dollars that would otherwise be spent on the homeless... give me a break. If you're so passionate about saving the neighborhood, take action. Put down the camera and pick up a club, hot-shot. Otherwise, shut-up and stay on the sidelines with the rest of this forum.
    You can't fix stupid with a club. Just ask Tiger's wife.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast