Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Anybody Know Elmer/Porab/Gasm Tag artist in Detroit?

I photograph in Detroit and see certain tag artists' works all over the city. Does anybody know anything about the person who calls him/herself Elmer [[Fudd), Porab, Gasm, Chaos, etc. Who are these people? I am quite amazed that they haven't been caught, or murdered. They must be bombing the city at night and they go into some pretty rough areas of the city. And also, they do some serious climbing to do their thing.

I'm searching for them as well so i can talk to them about a multimedia project I'm working on. Let me know what u find...

That GASM junk is all over the city.

If anyone here knows who they are, they sure aren't going to post their names on a public forum. I take it you are unfamiliar with tagger streetcode.

Loathsome filthy jerks

A young tagger in Montreal was killed and thrown into a canal for tagging over another guy's graffitti a coupla years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    If anyone here knows who they are, they sure aren't going to post their names on a public forum. I take it you are unfamiliar with tagger streetcode.
    That's what I thought, but some weeks back, I received an email about a new urban art gallery on Gratiot near Eastern Mrkt [[I think) that was having a gathering with bands and the email said that Elmer or Gasm or Porab [[can't recall which ones) would be appearing. I can't find the notice I received.

Annoyingly so....

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    That GASM junk is all over the city.

I believe the gallery where they appeared is called Eighteen-Forty Gallery at 1840 Gratiot near Eastern Mrkt. At the time I got that announcement that some of these graffiti ppl would be attending, I wondered if the police knew, would they visit the gallery too?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcanelli View Post
    I believe the gallery where they appeared is called Eighteen-Forty Gallery at 1840 Gratiot near Eastern Mrkt. At the time I got that announcement that some of these graffiti ppl would be attending, I wondered if the police knew, would they visit the gallery too?
    It's actually Fourteen-Eighty Gallery at 1480 Gratiot, between Russell and Riopelle across from Gratiot Central Market. The show was the art of Gasm and Elmer [[probably the most prolific taggers in the city), but I don't think they made their physical appearance known. The gallery just had a second show, Monty and the Booze Hound, about some artists/taggers from Baltimore who moved to Detroit.

Speaking of that block on Gratiot, there is a venue opening at 1464 Gratiot by the dude who ran the Bohemian Home and has been putting on the "Bohemian Home in Exile" shows around the city the past couple years. Pretty exciting stuff. And the restaurant [[third building from Russell) is coming along really well, should be open by the end of the year or early next year.

My invitation said that Gasam and Elmer would be present.

Wasn't one or both of these bombers commissioned to do some art work in the Dequindre Corridor, that stretch of former RR tracks running next to Eastern Mrkt?
    Last edited by Fulcanelli; September-02-12 at 07:18 PM. Reason: More info

My invitation said that Gasam and Elmer would be present.

Wasn't one or both of these bombers commissioned to do some art work in the Dequindre Corridor, that stretch of former RR tracks running next to Eastern Mrkt?
    Present and making their physical appearance known, in this case, are two different things!

To my way of thinking, whatever these people do is pure and simple vandalism. I do not think it is art. I don't find any entertainment or other value in it.

I don't want to sound like some type of a fuddy-duddy. I just hate vandalism

Elmer's name is Cory and Gasm's is Trevor. One has glasses and always has a toothpick in his mouth. The other is tall and skinny with frizzy hair and funny t-shirts.

Elmers name is Bill Gannon, and his partner Gasms name is Joe Friday.
    Friday carries a badge.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    A young tagger in Montreal was killed and thrown into a canal for tagging over another guy's graffitti [sic] a coupla years ago.
    This was just after the same guy bit into a Halloween apple and found a razor blade !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    Elmer's name is Cory and Gasm's is Trevor. One has glasses and always has a toothpick in his mouth. The other is tall and skinny with frizzy hair and funny t-shirts.
    I find it difficult to believe that these guys are free and able to bomb. With the number of instances of their tags in the city, how could they evade police? They paint on main streets. Detroit hasn't turn off her lights yet, so they'd be visible even at night. Or more troubling to them, what about locals who take a disliking to what their doing? Violence lives on the streets.

Cory and Trevor, huh? If I didn't know better, I'd say you were talking about the Trailer Park Boys.
    Last edited by Fulcanelli; September-03-12 at 06:35 AM. Reason: new info

I find it difficult to believe that these guys are free and able to bomb. With the number of instances of their tags in the city, how could they evade police?
    What police are you talking about ? Detroit keeps firing them and chasing them out of their jobs as part of the union busting cult that is sweeping the nation. You want the DPD to chase kids with spray paint cans rather than respond to violent crimes ? You want them to protect [[often abandoned) property instead of people ?

Bemusingly misplaced priorities and rage.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    To my way of thinking, whatever these people do is pure and simple vandalism. I do not think it is art. I don't find any entertainment or other value in it. I don't want to sound like some type of a fuddy-duddy. I just hate vandalism
    How do you feel about Detroit's #1 vandal Tyree Guyton ? He has been tagging buildings and the Detrot landscape longer and more often than all the Gasms and Turtles combined.........Do you all need his address so you can have the police swarm down on him ? I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    This was just after the same guy bit into a Halloween apple and found a razor blade !!!!!
    Yep, the moral is folks shouldnt sneak apples around razor blades!!!

To my way of thinking, whatever these people do is pure and simple vandalism. I do not think it is art. I don't find any entertainment or other value in it.

I agree. If these folks were doing it their own property or doing to others' property at the owners request, it would be one thing.

But when you run around the city spray painting everything it's just vandalism.

i disagree. Most of what gets wrote on are abandoned burnt out or neglected shells of buildings. Their owners long since relented and moved on. I suppose this makes them property of the city. Whats wrong with painting things of this nature. If anything get upset at the city for allowing these surfaces to remain standing. Occasionally the freeway gets it but its pretty unusual for anything nice or an open for business to be hit up. If you dont like it ignore it.

Default You do!

Guess what? You DO sound like a fuddy-duddy!

“Most of what gets wrote on are abandoned burnt out or neglected shells of buildings.

Then you either don’t get around Detroit much or have no idea what “For Sale” means. What gives them the right? Detroit is a hard enough sell as it is. These vandals are doing nothing more than further reducing the value of the property and creating more blight in these neighborhoods. It also sends a “no one cares” message inviting scrappers, squatters and the like. I even see businesses where owners that paint their buildings and keep up their properties, get consistently tagged beyond belief. How long before they give up and move on? I have yet to hear of one instance where a viable business moves in because of the “wonderful graffiti” on the building walls. It only adds extra cost to have this crap removed. If these vandals want to do “art”, great! Buy some canvas or plywood and have @ it. Put it up for sale, turn a profit, contribute, instead of defacing. Tell you what, let me know where you live or park your car. When I see either’s “unoccupied” I’ll put some nice artwork on it for you, N/C!

“If you dont like it ignore it.”

Give me a break……..

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    i disagree. Most of what gets wrote on are abandoned burnt out or neglected shells of buildings. Their owners long since relented and moved on. I suppose this makes them property of the city. Whats wrong with painting things of this nature. If anything get upset at the city for allowing these surfaces to remain standing. Occasionally the freeway gets it but its pretty unusual for anything nice or an open for business to be hit up. If you dont like it ignore it.
    Why did the owners relent? Why is it so hard to open an old building in Detroit? Near the top of the list is absolutely no respect for property. Graffiti and scrappers are on the same level of destruction and are prosecuted as criminals in ANY city with resource to do so. Detroit can't afford to wipe it's own ass and therefore needs help from citizens to control the blight.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast