Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Public School employees to see a wage bonus

Detroit Public Schools expects a multimillion dollar budget surplus this year. In fact, leaders say there's enough extra cash to share.

Emergency Financial Manager Roy Roberts announced Friday morning bonuses for DPS employees who have sacrificed so much to bring the budget deficit down from more than $300 million to $75 million in the last 15 months. Now a projected operating budget surplus of $11.9 million will be shared with the workers.

Full article here...
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-01-12 at 06:22 AM.

Great to hear some good news from DPS. I wish them continued success in educating our youth.

Teachers do not want a bonus, they want DPS to sit down and negotiate a contract.

so is this a bribe to get them to show up?
    I saw a piece on the news last week. I got the impression that teachers were pissed. A bit like: after all the cuts they have imposed it's not that we aren't able to... its that we are unwilling to.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN View Post
    Teachers do not want a bonus, they want DPS to sit down and negotiate a contract.
    They don't have to cash the check.

So its not money then -- so it must be power.

Sorry the Union has little power right now. That'll change in the future. Right now, get to work, educate some kids, impress everyone that DPS can do a good job. Soon enough, the money will be better and you can go back to pillaging the public pockets. But right now is the time for cleaning up messes.

We were promised this money during the last contract negotiations. For every 5 million the district was in surplus, we'd get 1% back [[one lump sum, not added back to our salary each pay). Since the district has an 11.9 million surplus, we get 2% back. It's not a "bonus". It's money we gave the disctrict in negotiations. Not to mention, we were supposed to get this money by the end of August. Then, it was changed to September. Now, it's the end of December. I'll believe I'm getting it when I actually get it. I'm not expecting it...

I'm a little upset that you think it's the TEACHERS that are pillaging pockets. We don't have access to ANY funds, directly. WE didn't misspend millions.

I go to work every day to educate kids. If I wasn't in it for the right reasons, I could be making a LOT more elsewhere. I could teach at a university, could do research, or one of many other careers. I chose to teach. Those of us that are left were selected by our principals because we do a great job, we have excellent attendance and our evaluations met or exceeded standards. I was recently honored to be invited [[and attended) to the Teacher's Breakfast for going above and beyond my job and my teaching duties. I didn't work summer school but yet, I was "working" all summer in the building to get things ready for the kids [[nope, wasn't paid and neither was anyone else who was there with me). See, it's not all about money with us. THAT is the public's perception of teachers, not the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    They don't have to cash the check.

So its not money then -- so it must be power.

Sorry the Union has little power right now. That'll change in the future. Right now, get to work, educate some kids, impress everyone that DPS can do a good job. Soon enough, the money will be better and you can go back to pillaging the public pockets. But right now is the time for cleaning up messes.

The teachers that were on the news were pissed. SOME of them didn't get callback letters and they should have. MOST of them shouldn't have gotten letters because they were rated ineffective by their administration. Those were the people who were really pissed. I never agreed with seniority. I believe that if a person isn't doing his/her job, get rid of them. Ask the kids, they'll tell you who is teaching and who isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    so is this a bribe to get them to show up?
    I saw a piece on the news last week. I got the impression that teachers were pissed. A bit like: after all the cuts they have imposed it's not that we aren't able to... its that we are unwilling to.

Shollin Guest

I remember when I was a kid being a teacher was a respected profession. Now people attack teachers over pay and parents and students don't take responsibility for their poor grades. I still don't get this agenda some people have to drive down wages on people who hold middle class jobs. How does it help anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    It's not a "bonus". It's money we gave the disctrict in negotiations.
    If it were a fair world, teachers would be among the highest paid professionals. Thanks for your dedication, DetroitTeacher. Keep up the good work!

Thank you DT for pointing out that it is really not a bonus. The district took nearly 10K from each teacher 2010-11 as part of reducing the deficit. The 'bonus' wording gives the idea that once again 'over-paid' teachers are just getting more money on top of the tons they already make. Yeah, right....

It's not a "bonus". It's money we gave the disctrict in negotiations. Not to mention, we were supposed to get this money by the end of August. Then, it was changed to September. Now, it's the end of December. I'll believe I'm getting it when I actually get it. I'm not expecting it...

Thanks for the kind words DTGuy and Shollin. Like most teachers, I didn't get into this to become rich. I did expect that if I worked hard and got good at what I was doing there would be some sense of job security. I never would have believed the amount of anger and resentment toward the profession that I see today. I confess that I am baffled by the "I don't get those benefits, so why should they?" attitude that I see so often. For me the silver lining has been that I love teaching more than I ever thought I would. Teaching in Detroit Public Schools can be incredibly rewarding and I wish I could continue here for the rest of my career. Unfortunately, the last several years of pay cuts have put me in a position where I'm not sure how much longer I can stay. This is not a hobby, this is my livelihood. As much as I love working with my students, at some point I may be forced to leave for purely economic reasons. I truly hope this day never comes.

Make that almost 20 grand. We gave up almost 10 grand with the TIP [[in 2010-11). We also took a 10% cut last year [[2011-12). I'm making less now than I was in 2005.

Unlike DetroitFats, I'll be sticking with it for the long run. I love my job far too much. I'll supplement my income in other ways [[most likely tutoring or working extended day programs) in order to keep teaching my kids. I've cut way back on my spending. I don't spend as much on my classroom as I have in the past. I don't order supplemental materials out of pocket anymore [[ok, maybe a few). I drive a 10 year old vehicle [[which was given to me by my father recently because mine was on its last legs) and don't make unnecessary trips [[saving on gas). I hope my car doesn't need repairs anytime soon. I just scrimp and save as much as I can to afford the things I really need. I have to pay my mortgage and bills, just like everyone else. I seriously thought about buying a cheaper house [[and mine is no castle, believe me) and walking away from mine but that would only add to the problems, not solve anything [[in society, not personally). I repeatedly get my loans put into forebearance or deferrment [[I'm paying on the one that I can manage). I'm no different than many people out there. I am just thankful that I have a job that I love, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Thank you DT for pointing out that it is really not a bonus. The district took nearly 10K from each teacher 2010-11 as part of reducing the deficit. The 'bonus' wording gives the idea that once again 'over-paid' teachers are just getting more money on top of the tons they already make. Yeah, right....
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; September-02-12 at 11:19 AM.

We were promised this money during the last contract negotiations. For every 5 million the district was in surplus, we'd get 1% back [[one lump sum, not added back to our salary each pay). Since the district has an 11.9 million surplus, we get 2% back. It's not a "bonus". It's money we gave the disctrict in negotiations. Not to mention, we were supposed to get this money by the end of August. Then, it was changed to September. Now, it's the end of December. I'll believe I'm getting it when I actually get it. I'm not expecting it...
    I would prefer to think of it as taxpayer's money, if you please. You didn't give the district anything. You got less from the nearly broken entity with whom you have a collective bargaining contract. From your posts, you would seem to be a great teacher. I hope a future system allows you compensation that reflects your dedication. For now, you're stuck with a system where job performance isn't a major factor. That has been your collective decision.

My opinions on the system aside, thanks for your hard work.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; September-02-12 at 11:18 AM.

Job performance IS a factor now. Seniority is out the window. I am evaluated on my classroom teaching as well as student test scores, my attendance, and a host of other things. If I am not "highly effective or effective" in all areas, I am out of a job. It's only fair, though. Those who are doing their jobs are rewarded with keeping their job, those that aren't are let go, just like in the real world. I've never been an advocate of seniority for the sake of keeping a job.

It was MY money, as I worked for it and was promised a salary as compensation. It was in my paycheck and then it was deducted from my paycheck. The union had nothing to do with it since the EM could do as he pleased. Sort of like a normal person going to work and their boss giving them a paycheck with a deduction to help pay a deficit that person had no part in creating [[and finding out a former boss had embezzeled monies from the company to help create the debt). It's actually a deduction on my check! I would say that is pretty much MY money and not taxpayer money...as the taxpayers are paying money to the district and the district pays me. It's money I EARNED [[and believe me, I earn every cent I make).

I would prefer to think of it as taxpayer's money, if you please. You didn't give the district anything. You got less from the nearly broken entity with whom you have a collective bargaining contract. From your posts, you would seem to be a great teacher. I hope a future system allows you compensation that reflects your dedication. For now, you're stuck with a system where job performance isn't a major factor. That has been your collective decision.

My opinions on the system aside, thanks for your hard work.

Job performance IS a factor now. Seniority is out the window. I am evaluated on my classroom teaching as well as student test scores, my attendance, and a host of other things. If I am not "highly effective or effective" in all areas, I am out of a job. It's only fair, though. Those who are doing their jobs are rewarded with keeping their job, those that aren't are let go, just like in the real world. I've never been an advocate of seniority for the sake of keeping a job.

It was MY money, as I worked for it and was promised a salary as compensation. It was in my paycheck and then it was deducted from my paycheck. The union had nothing to do with it since the EM could do as he pleased. Sort of like a normal person going to work and their boss giving them a paycheck with a deduction to help pay a deficit that person had no part in creating [[and finding out a former boss had embezzeled monies from the company to help create the debt). It's actually a deduction on my check! I would say that is pretty much MY money and not taxpayer money...as the taxpayers are paying money to the district and the district pays me. It's money I EARNED [[and believe me, I earn every cent I make).
    DT -- Help me understand --
    1) Does the DFT favor using job performance as a criteria in pay, or were they dragged kicking and screaming to the current status. I've heard Weinstein and Co. scream loudly against pay for performance -- and pay lip service to the idea that there's a problem. I do hope the Union is opening the door to some job performance measurement, with reasonable protections for teachers.

2) I'm certain that you earn your money -- but nonetheless, the money comes from taxes paid by citizens -- with a little bake sale funds tossed in here and there. But as a result, your salary is 100% paid by taxpayers. Every dollar you get paid comes out of the pockets of someone. Even if the feds print the money and give it to the school district, this is a dilution of taxpayer wealth.

Can you provide any background on the mechanics of how this is 'deducted' from gross pay on your check? I wonder why its being done that way. Perhaps this allows the world to recognize the 'fair value' of teachers, so when the crisis is over its easier to 'stop the deduction' than it would be to 'increase pay' back to 'fair' levels? In that case, the deduction method is a very smart way to get teachers pay back up when economics permit it.

Thanks again for your hard work. Education is a critical social contribution to our future. I do appreciate your posts -- even where I disagree. Well, that's the value of this forum. A chance to understand the opinions of others.

Shollin Guest

I don't think DetroitTeacher understands that when you work for an entity funded by tax dollars you are enslaved to the almighty tax payer and any increase in pay, bonus etc is too much.

When I was a kid teachers were thought of in the same respects as doctors. I remember hearing how teachers and doctors were our heroes and role models and how they didn't get paid enough. Boy how times have changed.

I do understand, all too well. You forget, I also pay taxes which pays part of my salary. I work so I can pay part of my own salary in taxes. Do you not think that teachers pay taxes so yes, it IS my money...either way you cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I don't think DetroitTeacher understands that when you work for an entity funded by tax dollars you are enslaved to the almighty tax payer and any increase in pay, bonus etc is too much.

When I was a kid teachers were thought of in the same respects as doctors. I remember hearing how teachers and doctors were our heroes and role models and how they didn't get paid enough. Boy how times have changed.

1) No, the DFT is not in favor of the evaluation system. It is state wide, though. The DFT is in favor of AN evaluation system, just not the one that is in place now. It was thrown together rather haphazard and those that evaluate us are in and out in about 10 minutes...not a fair representation for the classroom part. I've always been in favor of an evaluation system and never did favor the seniority [[and I should, since I now have it).

2) I understand this. I also pay taxes, which pay part of my salary. It IS my money, any way you cut it. I'm also required to pay 3% of my pay to the Health Care Tax [[in addition to paying for my own medical and dental).

As for the mechanics of the deductions, I am not sure why they did it this way. I know that the 2010-11 school year was the TIP fund. It's all on a deduction line on my check [[supposedly, we get this back when we retire or die...but it's all taxed). The pay cut was just a pay cut...they just took it without warning. I don't think we are going to get a raise anytime soon. Haven't had one since the early 2000s. I can't even give you an exact year because I don't remember the last time we got one. They stopped all step increases [[you don't get anything extra for years of service). I don't get anything extra, like we used to, for advanced degrees [[even though we are required to get them and keep up with classes to keep our certification...which we have to pay for).

I also agree that it's great to be able to disagree while still seeing the other person's viewpoint. I guess it's neither here nor there where the money comes from, exactly...I just know that they keep taking it from the compensation that I was offered for doing my job. DPS has borrowed money from teachers for years with the promise to pay us back and I have yet to see anything that they borrowed returned. They even took more than a few of our sick days with the promise to return them...haven't gotten those back either. So yes, they are taking from us and calling it borrowing but they never follow through with returning what they borrow. Pretty soon, one gets tired of lending all of the time to folks who never return anything.

DT -- Help me understand --
    1) Does the DFT favor using job performance as a criteria in pay, or were they dragged kicking and screaming to the current status. I've heard Weinstein and Co. scream loudly against pay for performance -- and pay lip service to the idea that there's a problem. I do hope the Union is opening the door to some job performance measurement, with reasonable protections for teachers.

2) I'm certain that you earn your money -- but nonetheless, the money comes from taxes paid by citizens -- with a little bake sale funds tossed in here and there. But as a result, your salary is 100% paid by taxpayers. Every dollar you get paid comes out of the pockets of someone. Even if the feds print the money and give it to the school district, this is a dilution of taxpayer wealth.

Can you provide any background on the mechanics of how this is 'deducted' from gross pay on your check? I wonder why its being done that way. Perhaps this allows the world to recognize the 'fair value' of teachers, so when the crisis is over its easier to 'stop the deduction' than it would be to 'increase pay' back to 'fair' levels? In that case, the deduction method is a very smart way to get teachers pay back up when economics permit it.

Thanks again for your hard work. Education is a critical social contribution to our future. I do appreciate your posts -- even where I disagree. Well, that's the value of this forum. A chance to understand the opinions of others.

more than anything i was struck by how unprofessional the DPS teachers or perhaps ex DPS teachers were on the news. After seeing that pretty much the only thing that I was thinking was: that person should never be employed as a teacher anywhere ever again. I understand they are upset but I would expect them to have a little more class whilst under the spotlight. Beyond that I have nothing but respect for the profession. My mom, 2 aunts, 2 sisters, and uncle teach. I know first hand that a lot of nights they work 2 or 3 hours when they get home.
    Last edited by rex; September-03-12 at 12:32 AM.

more than anything i was struck by how unprofessional the DPS teachers or perhaps ex DPS teachers were on the news. After seeing that pretty much the only thing that I was thinking was: that person should never be employed as a teacher anywhere ever again. I understand they are upset but I would expect them to have a little more class whilst under the spotlight. Beyond that I have nothing but respect for the profession. My mom, 2 aunts, 2 sisters, and uncle teach. I know first hand that a lot of nights they work 2 or 3 hours when they get home.
    Its a mistake to think that the media selects people on any basis other than ease and ignorance.

I would expect that most competent teachers would avoid the media like black plague.

1) No, the DFT is not in favor of the evaluation system. It is state wide, though. The DFT is in favor of AN evaluation system, just not the one that is in place now. It was thrown together rather haphazard and those that evaluate us are in and out in about 10 minutes...not a fair representation for the classroom part. I've always been in favor of an evaluation system and never did favor the seniority [[and I should, since I now have it).

2) I understand this. I also pay taxes, which pay part of my salary. It IS my money, any way you cut it. I'm also required to pay 3% of my pay to the Health Care Tax [[in addition to paying for my own medical and dental).

As for the mechanics of the deductions, I am not sure why they did it this way. I know that the 2010-11 school year was the TIP fund. It's all on a deduction line on my check [[supposedly, we get this back when we retire or die...but it's all taxed). The pay cut was just a pay cut...they just took it without warning. I don't think we are going to get a raise anytime soon. Haven't had one since the early 2000s. I can't even give you an exact year because I don't remember the last time we got one. They stopped all step increases [[you don't get anything extra for years of service). I don't get anything extra, like we used to, for advanced degrees [[even though we are required to get them and keep up with classes to keep our certification...which we have to pay for).

I also agree that it's great to be able to disagree while still seeing the other person's viewpoint. I guess it's neither here nor there where the money comes from, exactly...I just know that they keep taking it from the compensation that I was offered for doing my job. DPS has borrowed money from teachers for years with the promise to pay us back and I have yet to see anything that they borrowed returned. They even took more than a few of our sick days with the promise to return them...haven't gotten those back either. So yes, they are taking from us and calling it borrowing but they never follow through with returning what they borrow. Pretty soon, one gets tired of lending all of the time to folks who never return anything.
    DT -- thanks for the good info. Its very interesting to hear some of the details of how this is all happening -- and what is happening to the people involved.

I do hope DPS can remake itself. Hearing about the bonus gave me some hope that DPS can turn things around. Good luck on the adventure.

I totally agree and was embarassed by their actions. I NEVER allow myself to be filmed. I don't go picket, don't go to any events where the media might be [[unless it's something positive...like the Excellence Awards Banquet), and run the other way when I see media trucks at the school. They are not a fair representation of the decent teachers who really care about the kids. MOST of those on the news are the people who can not even interview because of negative evaluations. They don't belong in the classroom anyway.

Thanks! The last 17 years have been an adventure and I am sure the next 17 will be much the same. I just believe in the kids...or else I really wouldn't be where I am.

DT -- thanks for the good info. Its very interesting to hear some of the details of how this is all happening -- and what is happening to the people involved.

I do hope DPS can remake itself. Hearing about the bonus gave me some hope that DPS can turn things around. Good luck on the adventure.