Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Micro-Pressure Barometer?

Is this what I've become?!

I have been searching for some correlation why my sinuses seem to know when it is evening. Even imagined it had something to do with sunshine and melatonin. Didn't get far with that.

But on the way to searching out something else, I noticed this graph of barometric pressure trending by hourly readings over the course of a few days. It looks like a report of my sinus quality.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.p...time_label=EDT

Miserable until about midnight every night...then gradually improving until it is actually time to wake up. Occasional relapse in the mid-morning hours. Repeat.

One of the only things that helps I actually discovered by mistake...those Mack's silicone earplugs that keep the hum out. They keep the inner-ear pressure stable, I guess.

Thought this might help someone...or at least ruin lunch.

Cheers,
    John

I had the same problem. Went to see my doctor about it a year ago. He gave me an injection in the butt which has lasted until now. Unfortunately don't remember the name of the shot but I'm sure all docs have them.

Gannon, I ran your problem past my wife who is a wort. She brought up a couple of other brain storming possibilities but didn't dismiss your theory.

1. You are outside during the day and pick up pollens or other things until your body has had its fill and starts to work them out of your system.

2. Your house has cat dander, a mold, or other such thing that is not so present in your bedroom.

Thanks for the link, I never heard of a wort before...although it seems I've met a few over the years!

Got one thing backwards, though...the problems start when the Sun goes down no matter where I am.

So, the lack of comfortable sleep extends through the night...and although it is controversial, we let my darlin''s two tabbys sleep with us. But my issues exist whether I'm home or travelling.

Best sleep I got in the past year was camping up north in a rustic area of the Porcupine Mountains, near Wisconsin in the UP. That was also the furthest I've ever gotten from the electrical grid, other than driving through the desert. I could still hear the Hum from it [[as far as I can deduce), but it was distant and finally 'directional'.

I've dealt with this for years...but lately it seems worse and needs to be fixed, if possible. I was reading up on goiter when Barbara Nadel mentioned it on her thread on Connections, when something made me notice symptoms of an over-active thyroid. It may be something as simple as a vitamin deficiency.

It was simply strange how the graph of atmospheric pressure change so closely tracked my every-evening misery, even the little relapses in the mornings! All around that zero mark...seems to always be the toughest transition, positive to negative.

Oddly...and I've love to hear what your wife says about this...when I put those earplugs in, my sinuses calm down immediately as I am no longer plagued by that damn hum.

Found an article that dealt with 1800's experimentation on 'sensitives'...darned if it didn't ring true to me. There is some fun stuff in this piece.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; September-02-12 at 12:47 AM.

Here is a quote from it:

Through his very extensive collection of case studies, the Baron was able to predict the profile of persons most susceptible to this strange malady with an equally curious precision. He quickly discovered that such "sensitivity" was not at all uncommon. In fact, he was thoroughly surprised to find that such sensitivity permeated all classes and nationalities. It was easy to find subjects. Chaperons always present, the experiments were conducted in all dignity and scientific rigor. The Baron was meticulous and patient, recording everything that he observed with a special penetrating clarity, which became his own unique trademark.

This peculiar neuro-sensitivity lay at the very bottom of their equally peculiar condition. This neuro-sensitivity was an organismic state with which they were each born. The first group comprised individuals of a very nervous and sickly nature whose extreme neuro-sensitivity commenced only with illhealth. These were termed his "sick sensitives". The second group was comprised of vibrantly healthy individuals having extreme sensitivity to all stimuli: "healthy sensitives". When sensitive states were examined, the Baron found a series of amazing and unsuspected correlations.

Sensitive individuals evidenced special neurological states: heightened states where feeling was easily stimulated and prolonged. Sensitive persons felt and sensed more of the world than most other persons could. In this sense they were indeed "special and distinct". The Baron registered a large population of sensitives, first from his own districts and provinces. These could be summoned to the Baron's estate for an exhaustive series of qualitative observations.

He now had lists of many hundred reliable and true sensitives from all classes and European nations. This, for the time period, was a remarkable feat. Moreover, he had the financial means to maintain his controversial work, besides transporting and housing his sensitives throughout the lengthy examination periods required by his rigorous and thorough qualitative methods.

The Castle Reisenberg could comfortably house his guests under supervision and safety, servants supplying all required needs throughout the many days of research. He was best suited for such a task, having the time, wealth, and academic position to engage the undertaking. He carefully arranged observation of such sleepwalkers with an aim toward dispelling the problem completely.

Reichenbach's "sensitives" were the "extremely susceptible persons" treated by Franz Anton Mesmer. Persons prone to "hysteria" and "neurasthenia" were those later examined and treated by Sigmund Freud. What is generally not well known is the historically strong connection among these three personages.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I had the same problem. Went to see my doctor about it a year ago. He gave me an injection in the butt which has lasted until now. Unfortunately don't remember the name of the shot but I'm sure all docs have them.
    Thanks, Coracle. I'd love to learn more, although this is more likely a treatment of symptoms instead of a cure of the problem. To most people it looks the same. Unless, of course, it was a simple Vitamin B shot which my doctor used to give out with every visit. He was always adamant that everyone had a Vitamin B deficiency, due our American diets.

Either way, I would like to know what they injected you with...I don't take needles unless I know what is coming through them!