Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default We Almost Lost Detroit- Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. Music Video

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet on this site, but the famous song originally by Gil Scott-Heron, We Almost Lost Detroit, was remade by a local band called Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. back in 2011.

They uploaded a music video to YouTube on April 4th of this year for their remake. If you haven't seen it watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh0WOhbGlvk

It's a very unique music video showing the diversity of local Detroiters in the Downtown/Midtown/Corktown areas.

What are your thoughts?

Very cool music video. Not my kind of music, but I still enjoyed it. I loved all the scenes and real people.

Somebody wrap Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. in a huge cellophane award for Most Overrated Band and dump them in the Detroit River.

Thats so 2011.

The song is, of course, about the 1966 partial meltdown at the Enrico Fermi 1 nuclear plant. The title comes from the 1975 book about the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The song is, of course, about the 1966 partial meltdown at the Enrico Fermi 1 nuclear plant. The title comes from the 1975 book about the incident.
    I don't think that was in their Hipstery books...

Back in 2011?

I like their version of the song, but nowhere near as much as the original. As for the video, always nice to see Detroit clips. However, when will the MTV style 2 second image clips be over with? I guess attention spans are still short these days.