Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Downtown Development Rumor [corner of Broadway and Grand River]

An acquaintance of mine just told me that someone is trying to develop the parking lot at the corner of Broadway and Grand River, as well as the lot at Gratiot and Library [[also parking). From what he’s been told, the plan would call for a mixed use development, with street level retail/office, parking on the next four floors and residential on the top floor[[s). He also claims that this mystery developer is looking to break ground late next year. Earlier this summer I saw a crew surveying both spots. Has anyone else heard this rumor?

This would be a complete disaster. Where else could someone find surface parking in downtown?

/sarcasm

It wold be cool if it was Taubmann

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    This would be a complete disaster. Where else could someone find surface parking in downtown?

/sarcasm
    LOL

That's a great location. It's near lots of CBD employers, near stadiums, and between two DPM stops.

I think it would make a great place for apartments\condos. Maybe a nice mid-rise building with retail\eats on Broadway.

I like the sounds of this rumor. This would help to complete the street wall of the once famous Broadway street in Downtown Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    Taubman don't do residential.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    nothing cool comes from Taubman

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    nothing cool comes from Taubman
    I respectfully disagree.
    http://www.taubman.com/leasing/421.html

not sure what's cool about that. just another snob haven

Is this acquaintance a reliable source? I would love to talk with this acquaintance about what he/she has been hearing

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Is this acquaintance a reliable source? I would love to talk with this acquaintance about what he/she has been hearing
    Reliable to the extent that he would not make-up a story , but I’m not sure how reliable his source is.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    not sure what's cool about that. just another snob haven

I concur...that is pretty damn ugly....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    I concur...that is pretty damn ugly....
    I am looking at more than just the type of stores or the skin of it. Remember I am the guy who typically pushes for such posh stores as the Family Dollar or Dollar General in the CBD!

If you look at it critically it is borrowing a lot of its design elements from the great arcades and gallerias. It mixes uses very well, with retail, and existing offices and hotels. It provides pedestrian streets and semi-private spaces where the public can enjoy the City without having to worry about being deluged by bums.

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    Reliable to the extent that he would not make-up a story , but I’m not sure how reliable his source is.
    I would love to talk with this person, I'm a student journalist and this could be a great story.

It would be great if it happens but wouldnt hold my breath. This is the first I have heard of this and usually we would have some info by now. Its worth inquiring about.
    I like the idea of new buildings with parking built in. Kind of like the original plan was for the Book Cad parking deck

I’ll be seeing him again today, so I’ll try to find-out more. I live in that area, so I’ll be able to update the board as I find-out more. Also, to Zads07 – I’ll ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    An acquaintance of mine just told me that someone is trying to develop the parking lot at the corner of Broadway and Giver River, as well as the lot at Gratiot and Library [[also parking). From what he’s been told, the plan would call for a mixed use development, with street level retail/office, parking on the next four floors and residential on the top floor[[s). He also claims that this mystery developer is looking to break ground late next year. Earlier this summer I saw a crew surveying both spots. Has anyone else heard this rumor?
    I've also seen surveyors at the site, but haven't heard any scuttlebutt.

I will find the article for this development, I believe this are Gilbert's properties. He acquired both properties when he announce buying others downtown buildings awhile back. His planned on developing a mix-used mid-size building and mentioned also that it will start construction sometime in 2013. I will find the article..

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    It provides pedestrian streets and semi-private spaces where the public can enjoy the City without having to worry about being deluged by bums.
    AKA a faux-urban environment, AKA snob haven

I gotta say Gilbert knows what he is doing. Young, educated people don't want Novi or South Lyon, or Shelby Township, they want Manhattan.

Now Detroit won't ever really be Manhattan. But Gilbert is trying to make Downtown Detroit at least RESEMBLE a big city. I give him props for that.

If it is a Gilbert property then this would warrant some excitement. I dont recall that happening but with all the things he has purchased maybe this parcell wasnt really noticed.

I was told this is not a Gilbert property. Also found out today that the property recently changed hands [[sold) this year.

Why don't more buildings incorporate the parking structure into the building with residential on top? Kinda like The Fifth in Royal Oak. Is it cost prohibitive?

I asked someone I know with a good ear to the ground, and he says the only thing pending down there he knows of is some street-scape work

The answer to this is probably obvious, but why don't we build new construction with parking underground?

The answer is likely, "too expensive".

But seriously, isn't this a possibility? I'm not talking a huge underground garage, but just one level, enough to park the cars of the tenants above.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast