Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default How would you feel about a dueling piano bar?

I am shocked downtown Detroit doesn't have one yet. Even Grand Rapids has one.

So does pontiac.

I'm not allowed to drive to dueling piano bars

I'm for any new business opening in the D but I have been to a couple of dueling piano bars and it was cool for about an hour and then the novelty wore off for me

I have seen dozens of closed piano bars all over the country in the last 20 years!

Wouldn't it be cool if Glee came to Detroit to film an episode in front of the train station?

There isn't one because they are horrible ><

[[Obviously that is my opinion, but still... HORRIBLE)

Probably would be hard to find players once they shot enough of them.

At least they wouldn't have to pace off 10 steps, just run the scales, and bang!

what is a dueling piano bar?

Two assholes saying innane things between singing out of tune and banging on the keys instead of one [[or more blessedly, none). Stereo annoyment, if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Two assholes saying innane things between singing out of tune and banging on the keys instead of one [[or more blessedly, none). Stereo annoyment, if you will.
    Spot on response!

Ferndale had one for a hot minute [[Boogie Fever) and the establishment quickly became a regular club. I like piano music, and it was too much for even me after awhile.

I have a hard time finding them tolerable when they play the Michigan State and Michigan Fight songs back and forth to drum up tips quickly. [[The more money they get the longer they play said fight song.) I was at the bar in Royal Oak and in a two hour span they did that 3 times.

I like the ones that have patron participation nothing like a whole club full of people singing "Bye Bye Ms American pie ,drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry" . Kinda makes for a fun night out.

One piano is fine, thank you. Nothing like drowning your sorrows over some bittersweet piano music. Tom's Tavern on Saturday nights is good for this.

From what I remember from the last time I was at one, I would feel like driving my car through the front window.

Went to the one out in Pontiac twice in one year. Will never set foot in one again.

Piano bars are fun for people who like traditional piano music. And when applied to a dueling piano format, it becomes enjoyable.

Doesn't work well in Detroit because you can't reproduce RAP on a piano. There also exists a huge disconnect between those who like R&B and the availability of R&B piano players who would take on such a role.

Right, because most of the songs played are "traditional" piano music, not rehashed pop music and Americana tripe.

Too bad there isn't more rap in traditional piano music, piano bars would be like mushrooms growing in poo in Detroit.

Piano bars are just not interesting. I've been to a few in various cities. for the most part, the pianists aren't great. I've heard the worst renditions of Joplin in piano bars, unbearable versions of Lara's Theme, er, Somewhere my Love. can't imagine these people doing better with more complex music. Two of them would make me shove knives in my ears to make it stop

...unless the pianos are manned by Albert Ammons & Meade "Lux" Lewis, I ain't interested...

If it is anything like this, then count me in!

ah, Donald and Daffy, yes I would go for that.
    With more and more people living downtown I think there will be more entertainment venues popping up. I would rather see a mixture of things.
    I dont see any place concentrating a one thing like a piano bar.
    Somebody restore the National theater and put comedy or some mix of entertainment in place, that would be cool

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Piano bars are fun for people who like traditional piano music. And when applied to a dueling piano format, it becomes enjoyable.

Doesn't work well in Detroit because you can't reproduce RAP on a piano. There also exists a huge disconnect between those who like R&B and the availability of R&B piano players who would take on such a role.
    When was the last time you hung out at a social establishment in Detroit?

To be blunt, there are dozens of establishments in the city that essentially cater to a Caucasian clientel. There are dozens upon dozens more than do not cater to hip-hop enthusiasts. There are dozens more still that cater to a diverse clientel. As I said, there is traditional piano music at Tom's Tavern just to name one [[which caters to mixed clientel and I am certain has never heard rap within its walls). Seven Mile and Wyoming is in Detroit.

All white people don't just hang out in Oakland County. In fact, plenty of us can't stand it. There is also a social scene outside of "game day" in Detroit which does not include hip hop.

"traditional piano music" please. Yeah, like they're playing Chopin at piano bars. I guess to the nouveau riche in Metro Detroit Billy Joel is now "traditional piano music"
    Last edited by poobert; August-31-12 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    When was the last time you hung out at a social establishment in Detroit?

To be blunt, there are dozens of establishments in the city that essentially cater to a Caucasian clientel. There are dozens upon dozens more than do not cater to hip-hop enthusiasts. There are dozens more still that cater to a diverse clientel. As I said, there is traditional piano music at Tom's Tavern just to name one [[which caters to mixed clientel and I am certain has never heard rap within its walls). Seven Mile and Wyoming is in Detroit.

All white people don't just hang out in Oakland County. In fact, plenty of us can't stand it. There is also a social scene outside of "game day" in Detroit which does not include hip hop.

"traditional piano music" please. Yeah, like they're playing Chopin at piano bars. I guess to the nouveau riche in Metro Detroit Billy Joel is now "traditional piano music"
    I realize I'm new here, and maybe I missed something but where did anyone make the claim that white people just hang out in Oakland County? I don't even see Oakland County [[or any County for that matter) mentioned in this thread.

Seems to me that there are things in the entire metro area to enjoy. Regardless of race, regardless of where you choose to reside. I never understand this on going thought that some seem to have that in order to be pro-Detroit, you must be anti-Suburb and vice versa.

Having said the above, there are no piano bars in Detroit because of hip hop? Thats just silly