Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Silly Downtown and New Center historical question....

Was there ever a Neisner's in either downtown Detroit or New Center? My memory says no to downtown, but yes to New Center, on the east side of Woodward, south of Grand Blvd.

Is my memory correct? Thanks in advance.

Wasn't there a Neisner's at the location of the Crowley's on Woodward [[@ Milwaukee)? Maybe that was Demery's?
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; August-29-12 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Wasn't there a Neisner's at the location of the Crowley's on Woodward [[@ Milwaukee)? Maybe that was Demery's?
    It was Demery's before Crowley's.

My mind wants to say it was between Grand Blvd. and Milwaukee on the east side of Woodward in that little 1 block long retail district.

I remember the Neisner's on Jefferson, which was right down the street from my great-grandmother's and great aunt's house. There was also one on Jos. Campau in Hamtramck that I remember. I can even still smell that wood and glue smell that all of those old 5 & 10s seemed to have, but I don't know if there was one on Woodward in the New Center.

Ahhh, here is, I believe, a picture of the Neisner's in question. During a strike, no less! This is, I think, mid-block on the east side of Woodward between Milwaukee and the Boulevard. The still-standing store building in the background has a very distinctive pattern on its facade that is the tip-off, and there is a large bank building at the corner in the background that is also still there. I believe the former Neisner's building is still standing as well.

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...y=1;view=image

I just took a "walk" down Woodward [[thank you, Google maps) and I think you nailed it. I always liked that little shopping area. Worked for a bit at the Mary Jane Shoes on the northwest corner of Woodward and Milwaukee. Wish I could remember all the stores on that strip.