Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Isaac to pay a Labor Day visit to Detroit?

By the looks of this projection cone it lookS like Isaac will arrive here on Monday. This is a massive storm so be advised that it should still have some mischief left by the time it arrives.
    Name:  210834W5_NL_sm.gif
Views: 469
Size:  41.3 KB

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...daynl#contents

Around here these things tend to circle for days causing rainy overcast days that seem to stick around for a long time.

The Weather Channel is recommending this map from Google Crisis.

We had it here in SE Florida on Sunday. It is still trailing bands of heavy rain here while it hits New Orleans. There was not much wind, but the storm was huge in area and pulled in a lot of moisture. The size made it difficult for the storm to ramp up in intensity. It is so huge in area and so slow moving that it is primarily a rain event [[except for the storm surge on the gulf coast). It does pack lots and lots of rain. We flooded here more than were blown away. Most of the trees that toppled had their root system soaked and undermined by water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The Weather Channel is recommending this map from Google Crisis.
    Ooo nice map. Love all the extra layers and earthquake notices.

This is the true story of how our family survived Hurricane Betsy in New Orleans in 1965. It has become a permanent record in our genealogy.
    Despite the Hurricane

Despite the Hurricane, we feel we have been blessed beyond measure, for we are safe and even our home and belongings and cars are safe. We know of many wonderful people who have lost everything, but even they are grateful for their lives. We have two broken windows, some roof damage, electrical wires, fuse box, and television aerial blown away, and there is a tree lying against the front of our house, which will have to be cut away before our electricity and telephone can be put in again. Even though we are next to Lake Pontchartrain, we had no flooding in our immediate neighborhood. Actually, the ground along Hayne Blvd. is higher than the land behind us, and the small airport across the way also protected us from water. We are close to the Industrial Canal which caused most of the flooding, but close enough to the lake and levee that the water stayed to the south of us. The electrician told me he didn't know what kept our house from burning down for the wind shorted out the meter box and caused the wires INSIDE THE WALLS to burn away. Beside that, there was a dangling high tension wire sparking against the corner of our house from Thursday night until Tuesday afternoon when finally a crew of workers who had been flown in from Houston disconnected it.

We had intended to ride out the storm at home since we are in a sturdily built brick building on the second floor. However, about 11:00 PM a civil defense truck came by and would not leave until we got on--they just kept blowing their horn for us to come out and we couldn't risk the lives of others by keeping them waiting for us. We grabbed 4 rain coats and my purse on the way out. The truck was a high one which necessitated climbing a steep ladder and after we got on the wind all but blew us out; our clothing blew up over our heads and we had to hang on to our glasses to keep them from blowing off. Even my purse was hard to hold on to, and the strap snapped in two before it was over. Broken limbs and electrical wires flailed around overhead and flying objects hurled themselves through the air; the rain came down in sheets. The truck took us to a sturdy, brick restaurant on the highway. There we settled down to wait out the storm; they gave us hot coffee and cocoa and t. went to sleep in one of the booths with a table cloth for a cover. We had only a couple candles for light. Despite the trees crashing and windows shattering and roofs blowing off the adjoining buildings we were not very worried until the flooding began. Ten minutes from the time it first seeped under the doors we were wading in it up to our waists and the civil defense truck came as close as possible to load us on again to seek higher ground. [[There just is not such a thing as high ground anywhere in New Orleans.) We half waded and half swam to the truck about 100 feet from the restaurant and one lady was knocked over by the swirling currents. J. pulled her up and still held on to j., m., and l. I carried t. [[and didn't put him down until about 45 minutes later.) The ladder to the truck was difficult to climb in the fierce wind and water. People began to come from all directions and we waited for what seemed an eternity until 75 people were loaded onto the truck. We fully expected to be washed into the canal [[The levee had broken on the east side--we were less than a block from the east side of the canal.) Finally the truck began moving slowly out through the water--through the darkness--over the bridge--and on down the highway four or five miles to Franklyn Street, then up 3 or 4 blocks to a school, three stories high. Once we hit a pole but backed up and got under way again. We dodged hanging tension wires and limbs as best we could--a few were hit by flying objects but we experienced no serious injuries. Down the ladder again, the Civil Defense workers all but carrying l. down the ladder this time, through the water--around wires--and finally into the school, where we groped our way through other refugees huddled on the stairs and in the corridors--back through the crowded cafeteria to some empty chairs, where we sat and waited out the storm. t. went to sleep on top of the table--drenched to the skin [[as were we all) with no blanket but a sopping wet rain coat. However, the rain coat happened to be a nylon one J.'s mother gave me several years ago and miracle of miracles, it was warm--even though sopping wet. Windows continued breaking and trees continued crashing but finally the wind became calm. The water rose higher and higher and more refugees came in--this time in boats and a few even swam in. By morning we had about 500 in our building with no food, no blankets, no dry clothing, and not even water that was drinkable. At noon we found a few supplies such as cheese and bread in the kitchen of the cafeteria and rationed it out to babies and children. By afternoon we were able to light the gas stove and boil water which we dispensed in soft drink bottles. [[I've never tasted better water.) After dark Friday night someone came in with a boat load of boiled shrimp and crab, still in the shell. Saturday morning someone came in with a boat load of milk and dry cereal, enough for everyone. The water began to recede and we heard our neighborhood by the airport on Hayne Blvd. was dry so J. put t. on his back and we all took hold of hands and waded out. For the first block the water was to our waists, but became more shallow as we neared the highway and there a car came by with neighbors who took us home. The underpasses were flooded but we were able to drive up and over the railroad tracks. I cannot describe the feeling when we found our home was safe. We still do not have a telephone or electricity, but the water is now safe without boiling. Last Sunday J. was able to find a telephone on the highway that worked and stood in a long, long line to make a few calls to let you know we are safe. Schools will be closed indefinitely, many schools were destroyed. t. has had just one day of kindergarten as school had opened the day of the hurricane [[last Thursday, Sept. 9.) We sang happy birthday to m. Saturday morning while we were still in the shelter. The children slept on table tops Friday night--J. and I took turns sleeping for short periods on another table near by--the other stayed awake to watch the children from rolling off the tables. J. went back to work Monday but many have not yet returned and many with whom J. works have lost their homes.
    In the car on the way home I recall someone saying that the kids should stay on the floor and not look out the windows because when the water recedes, bodies can be left perched in the trees.

My father was in New Orleans to work for NASA/Boeing on the Saturn V booster that launched the Apollo missions to the Moon. It was too large to ship by rail so it had to be built near New Orleans so it could be shipped by barge around Florida to [[then) Cape Kennedy for launch.

Our house still stands.
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-29-12 at 08:30 PM.

During my half century in Detroit, I recall a number of Labor Day weekends turning to shit weather wise. That's why I use to call summers in SE Mich "the six weeks of summer." Now with climate change, it's up to seven weeks with eights in the forecast in coming years.

The remnants of Isaac will be a far more welcome guest on Labor Day than Biden. We need rain; we don't need Biden!
    Last edited by coracle; August-30-12 at 05:44 AM.