Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Concrete Block Wall Replaces Storefront Space on Woodward

While walking by this week I noticed construction taking place on the vacant lot next to the Broderick on Woodward. Many of you will remember that as the storefront space that collapsed a year or two ago.

Great I thought, they're building something there - that is until I walked by on the other side and noticed it was simply a featureless concrete block wall.

Does this seem a bit blunt and unaesthetic to anyone else? Or is this a 'better-than-what-it-was' situation?

I would imagine they would dress it up a bit when finished. Perhaps it is temporary.

perhaps ask the contractors

perfect for the graffiti guys

That is to conceal the HVAC units, but I agree - it does not integrate well with the surroundings. Even the berms in front of the RenCen [[designed for same purpose) had "some" esthetic appeal.

Jeeze, do you think maybe they aren't done with it?

I would imagine they're going to put something over it.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I would imagine they're going to put something over it.
    Yeah, that makes sense. The skills needed to set brick are expensive. Likely they'll coat it with a few panels of "brick" cladding.

Interesting. Attached is one of the early sketches from Kraemer Design Group…

Name:  exterior_from_across_woodward_10-12-07__detail.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  75.5 KB

There will be a granite wall featuring a "Broderick Tower" lit sign.

You can tell from the setback alignment of the tower this is the subwall. However, this is a missed opportunity for future economic activity. It could have been a storefront with a mechanical mezzanine. Either consciously eliminated through value engineering or else shortsighted design with a sign wall as the excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    You can tell from the setback alignment of the tower this is the subwall. However, this is a missed opportunity for future economic activity. It could have been a storefront with a mechanical mezzanine. Either consciously eliminated through value engineering or else shortsighted design with a sign wall as the excuse.
    I agree.

Hopefully one day when retail is booming on Woodward is booming they'll go back and correct their mistake.

I agree.

Hopefully one day when retail is booming on Woodward is booming they'll go back and correct their mistake.
    Maybe, but the more mistakes of this sort are made there, the less likely it is that retail will ever boom [[IMO).

Beautiful. Plain wall along Woodward. Reminds me of a Party Store that was bricked up long ago.

I agree.

Depending on the equipment that's definitely possible. Most of it is designed to be swapped out after a life cycle and anyway

eh, more late-stage capitalism.