Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wayne Co. jail costs run $65 million over budget

Unreal. Not only is everything about this jail corrupt, it is now $65 MILLION DOLLARS over budget?!?! There are no words left to describe what we witness day to day in city and county government around these parts.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Ficano has to be on his last leg, he needs to go.
    What a complete joke Wayne County Government is. Just look at all the appointees making all that money. It makes me sick

Wayne County has the greatest population declines of any county in the U.S. Why do they need a fancy new megajail?

They already have three facilities. County crime is flat or declining and population is declining. This means fewer cells, so close one of the current three and renovate/consolidate in the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Wayne County has the greatest population declines of any county in the U.S. Why do they need a fancy new megajail?

They already have three facilities. County crime is flat or declining and population is declining. This means fewer cells, so close one of the current three and renovate/consolidate in the other two.
    You must not understand how government works.

New is always better than old.

Bigger is always better than smaller.

The past is always better than the future.

My friend's benefit is always more important than yours.

Never say no to construction. It means jobs [[for friends), contracts [[for friends), staff jobs [[for friends), property acquisition [[for friends), demolition work [[by friends), and then even nice new furniture [[from friends).

My friend's wife is a cop who babysit's nights in that jail. The benefits are beyond ridiculous, like 5 to 1 401k matching [[for example). These guys will retire with more income than the average joe could dream of making as an active employee. As long as citizens keep voting retarded nothing will change.

Quote Originally Posted by wvernon View Post
    My friend's wife is a cop who babysit's nights in that jail. The benefits are beyond ridiculous, like 5 to 1 401k matching [[for example). These guys will retire with more income than the average joe could dream of making as an active employee. As long as citizens keep voting retarded nothing will change.
    All attempts to right-size compensation are labeled as attacks on workers.

If you're not for 5 to 1 401k matching then you must be anti-worker and pro-crime!

From the Detroit News
    Sheriff blasts Wayne County jail plan

Detroit — Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon says a county jail under construction — whose costs are rising just months after work began — still won't be big enough

<snip>

"It was bad planning. People who wanted this did it in a vacuum and didn't bring in other people until it was way too late," said Napoleon, who has feuded with Ficano over his budget and has publicly said he's mulling a run for Detroit mayor next year.

"The conventional wisdom was, 'Get it started and we can always come back and ask for more money.' That's lunacy to me. You should do it right from the beginning."

anyone have any renderings of this thing? i see it whenever i leave the house so im curious what ill be looking at for years to come.

Unless there was an unrealistically lowballed bid, how is this remotely possible? And why wouldn't the contractor be on the hook for the difference?