Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default WSU breaks into top 100 Universities, Improves from 123 to 95

Good news for blue collar Wayne State University whose reputation is now enhanced by being ranked 95th among America's top universities rated on an interesting set of factors.

The Washington Monthly rated the universities based on their contribution to the public good in three broad categories: Social Mobility [[recruiting and graduating low-income students), Research [[producing cutting-edge scholarship and PhDs), and Service [[encouraging students to give something back to their country).

Other high finishers include metro Detroit's University of Michigan at number 13 [above all Ivy League Schools except number 11 Harvard]. MSU at 34 and Western Michigan at 90 round out the State honorees.

Great news.

I think if there's anything that's going to accelerate "Detroit's" comeback, it'll be Wayne State and DMC.

There's really nothing like what Detroit has with the DMC/WSU in the country.

Shollin Guest

Really? No other major city has an urban college?

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Really? No other major city has an urban college?
    There are plenty of urban universities but what 313WX is saying the combo of DMC/WSU is quite unique. There is nothing that compares to the clinical training that DMC/WSU provides especially emergency training [[Detroit Receiving)! I had surgery this past July and was very happy when I found out most of my doctors were WSU grads. I had a employee who is finishing up his residency, he and his colleges all agreed if you want research you go to UM if you want clinical you go to WSU.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Great news.

I think if there's anything that's going to accelerate "Detroit's" comeback, it'll be Wayne State and DMC.

There's really nothing like what Detroit has with the DMC/WSU in the country.
    Medical College of Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA comes to mind just ioff-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Medical College of Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA comes to mind just ioff-hand.
    Definitely not as good as Wayne State