Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just to add a bit of levity:

170 Greatest Clint Eastwood Quotes

Clint it best short and to the point!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-31-12 at 12:09 PM.

It really did seem, during CE's speech, that he is beginning to lose some of his faculties. There were parts of the speech for which the term gibberish would be charitable. It's sad, regardless of your politics.

Well stated, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    It really did seem, during CE's speech, that he is beginning to lose some of his faculties. There were parts of the speech for which the term gibberish would be charitable. It's sad, regardless of your politics.

From Romney's speech-
    My favorite parts-

"Many of you felt that way on Election Day four years ago. Hope and Change had a powerful appeal. But tonight I'd ask a simple question: If you felt that excitement when you voted for Barack Obama, shouldn't you feel that way now that he's President Obama? You know there's something wrong with the kind of job he's done as president when the best feeling you had was the day you voted for him.

The President hasn't disappointed you because he wanted to. The President has disappointed America because he hasn't led America in the right direction. He took office without the basic qualification that most Americans have and one that was essential to his task. He had almost no experience working in a business. Jobs to him are about government.
    I learned the real lessons about how America works from experience."

“It's the genius of the American free enterprise system – to harness the extraordinary creativity and talent and industry of the American people with a system that is dedicated to creating tomorrow's prosperity rather than trying to redistribute today's.

That is why every president since the Great Depression who came before the American people asking for a second term could look back at the last four years and say with satisfaction: "you are better off today than you were four years ago."

Except Jimmy Carter. And except this president.
    This president can ask us to be patient.
    This president can tell us it was someone else's fault.
    This president can tell us that the next four years he'll get it right.
    But this president cannot tell us that YOU are better off today than when he took office.
    America has been patient. Americans have supported this president in good faith.
    But today, the time has come to turn the page.”

My idea of the worst part of his speech. Here Romney is beating the durms of discord and war and we have enough of that already.

“In his first TV interview as president, he said we should talk to Iran. We're still talking, and Iran's centrifuges are still spinning.

President Obama has thrown allies like Israel under the bus, even as he has relaxed sanctions on Castro's Cuba. He abandoned our friends in Poland by walking away from our missile defense commitments, but is eager to give Russia's President Putin the flexibility he desires, after the election. Under my administration, our friends will see more loyalty, and Mr. Putin will see a little less flexibility and more backbone.

We will honor America's democratic ideals because a free world is a more peaceful world. This is the bipartisan foreign policy legacy of Truman and Reagan. And under my presidency we will return to it once again.”

Full transcript of speech at- http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/previ...5#.UEESqkKIB8t

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    From Romney's speech-
    My favorite parts-

The President hasn't disappointed you because he wanted to. The President has disappointed America because he hasn't led America in the right direction. He took office without the basic qualification that most Americans have and one that was essential to his task. He had almost no experience working in a business. Jobs to him are about government.
    I learned the real lessons about how America works from experience."
    what a totally empty, untrue statement. if the Republicans hadn't blocked removing the huge tax credits for moving jobs overseas, and replacing it with one for creating jobs here​, or if they hadn't filibustered most of the jobs programs, we'd be in FAR better shape. The last presidents we had with business experience were Hoover and Dubya. 'Nuff said

That is why every president since the Great Depression who came before the American people asking for a second term could look back at the last four years and say with satisfaction: "you are better off today than you were four years ago."
    Four years ago the country was shedding 3/4 million jobs per month. Unless you have an odd definition of better, I'd say we are significantly better

But this president cannot tell us that YOU are better off today than when he took office.
    My stocks are way up compared to 4 years ago. Housing has come back. Private sector profits are way up. GM & Chrysler aren't on the mat

President Obama has thrown allies like Israel under the bus, even as he has relaxed sanctions on Castro's Cuba. He abandoned our friends in Poland by walking away from our missile defense commitments, but is eager to give Russia's President Putin the flexibility he desires, after the election.
    [quote]

The sanctions on Cuba were the single LEAST effective foreign policy initiative since WWII, and the vast majority of Americans, even Cuban-Americans, are against them. Netanyahu himself [[Romney's bud), says Obama has been a great friend to Israel. This is a statement clearl bought by uber-zionist Adelson. At the last meeting between them, Obama read Putin the riot act. Romney didn't even have the balls to take on a lower tier right-wing radio hack

From Lindsey Graham:
    “The demographics race we’re losing badly,” said Sen. Lindsey O. Graham [[S.C.). “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...3a7_story.html

The democrats could win everything just by constantly running a reel of what comes out of this jackass' mouth

“The demographics race we’re losing badly,” said Sen. Lindsey O. Graham [[S.C.). “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”
    Gag. That's about as close as he could get to confessing that they have been deliberately generating angry white guys. Exactly how is more anger a good thing for this country?

That makes me so angry! Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

That makes me so angry! Oops.
    I'm sure he didn't mean to create angry white men like me. Republicans have no clue about the law of unintended consequences

rb: what a totally empty, untrue statement. if the Republicans hadn't blocked removing the huge tax credits for moving jobs overseas, and replacing it with one for creating jobs here​, or if they hadn't filibustered most of the jobs programs, we'd be in FAR better shape. The last presidents we had with business experience were Hoover and Dubya. 'Nuff said
    So the first four years of Obama's failures are all the fault of Republicans? Obama created 3 new NAFTA like free trade agreements so US workers could compete with Korean workers. I agree about removing tax credits for shipping overseas. Too bad that couldn't have been accomplished with a Democratic Congress in his first two years. Please remind us that Obama needs a super majority or to declare himself a benevolent dictator to be the least bit effective. Too bad he gave money to wall Street bankers instead of using more of it on infrastructure projects. I wasn't aware that Hoover was a businessman. I thought he was an engineer who distributed food for the government.

Four years ago the country was shedding 3/4 million jobs per month. Unless you have an odd definition of better, I'd say we are significantly better
    "
    Returning to the worst employment rate of any day during the Bush administration, bad as Bush was, would be an improvement. Lowering the national debt to Bush levels would mean a $5T less weighty ball and chain to fasten to our children.

My stocks are way up compared to 4 years ago. Housing has come back. Private sector profits are way up. GM & Chrysler aren't on the mat
    Dumping $16T of credit on the market did temporarily lower interest rates and some of the money found its way into the stock market to boost prices [[supply - demand). It's phony prosperity and has to be paid for like other loans; think Nasdaq bubble, housing bubble. Retirees are having a difficult time living off the interest on their nest eggs from this distorted market. Maybe we can put them on a new government program to make up for the mess the government caused them. If we get QE3, stocks should go up even more. Wheee! Investing with the winds of government money buffeting our backs is fun.

Chrysler bond holders were defrauded and Chrysler is now a foreign company. Pontiac, Hummer, Saturn, and a lot of GE dealership jobs are gone. Bain Capital couldn't have done a better job except GM still has taxpayers about $20B in the hole. Bain wouldn't have done that to us. GM isn't in the best of shape now either.

The sanctions on Cuba were the single LEAST effective foreign policy initiative since WWII, and the vast majority of Americans, even Cuban-Americans, are against them. Netanyahu himself [[Romney's bud), says Obama has been a great friend to Israel. This is a statement clearl bought by uber-zionist Adelson. At the last meeting between them, Obama read Putin the riot act. Romney didn't even have the balls to take on a lower tier right-wing radio hack
    I'm not defending either of them on any of this .They are both hawks. Obama has too many wars and Romney is talking war trash talk suggesting he would be worse than Obama.

you really are clueless, ola, aren't you? You can't blame a person for something someone else did. Can you blame Obama for a republican/blue dog coalition that purposefully blocked almost everything he did? Can you imagine where this country would be if Obama hadn't taken the actions he did? are you serious about things being better on Dubya's worst day? Do you seriously NOT understand that the single biggest issue with the debt is carryover from the Dubya years? that chart posted here a number of times makes it quite clear. get over your ill-placed, fact-resistant Obama hatred and get real.

I'll step past your name calling. Yes, I can imagine a country that hadn't been screwed up by Bush and Obama. Clinton, whatever his faults, didn't carry on for four years whining about Reagan. Instead, he managed to cut deals with Gingrich that balanced the budget. Things? No I said specifically,"Returning to the worst employment rate of any day during the Bush administration, bad as Bush was, would be an improvement". That was in response to your comment, "Unless you have an odd definition of better, I'd say we are significantly better". There was never any 8% unemployment under Bush. I think unemployment under Bush averaged 5.6%. 8%+ unemployment is not better than 5.6% unemployment. What debt carryover from Bush's years? The 2010 -2013 deficits are ones Obama signed on to averaging about $1T/year. I wasn't referring to the 2009 Bush budget carry over. Remember, the President has a veto and can refuse to sign budgets until they get changed. Get over your ill-placed responsibility hatred and get real. Regarding budget matters, Obama is Clinton's inferior. Gingrich probably wasn't fun to work with but Clinton balanced the budget. So did Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Clinton, whatever his faults, didn't carry on for four years whining about Reagan. Instead, he managed to cut deals with Gingrich that balanced the budget.
    Different time different strategy by the Repubs. It takes two to tango when it comes to cutting deals. The strategy as it relates to Obama is not to compromise. The strategy is to say no

See 2:53 at Papantonio: GOP's Pale, Frail & Stale - Bound To Fail

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Different time different strategy by the Repubs. It takes two to tango when it comes to cutting deals. The strategy as it relates to Obama is not to compromise. The strategy is to say no
    You nailed it man. The RepubliCONS are intent on blocking everything Obama does.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    You nailed it man. The RepubliCONS are intent on blocking everything Obama does.
    You guys are heavy into excuses and cliches. The Simpson Bowles plan went down by a fairly narrow margin. "To have the proposal sent to Congress for a vote, 14 out of 18 members had to vote yes.That didn’t happen, because in the end, only 11 members supported it.

Three of the "no" votes were liberals: Democratic Reps. Xavier Becerra of California and Jan Schakowsky of Illinois, plus Andy Stern, former president of the Service Employees International Union. One was a more moderate Democrat, Senate Finance Committee chairman Max Baucus of Montana. And three were conservative Republicans, all from the U.S. House of Representatives: Ways and Means chairman Dave Camp, Rep. Jeb Hensarling of Texas and Ryan."
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2012/aug/30/ryan-and-simpson-bowles-commission-full-story/

Ryan was one of the seven voting the wrong way but
    candidate Obama called a $10 trillion national debt ‘unpatriotic’ in 2008; four were Democrats.

We have guilt on both sides but still there was a majority supporting Simpson Bowles on that Committee. Obama seems to have gone AWOL on this plan. When was the last time we've seen Obama railing about how Ryan and some other Republicans voted against it. He isn't leading any charge to promote this or any other long term solution. Obama shelved Simpson Bowles and is not leading. Obama is no Clinton.

Poor Clint was shut up by an Obama-chair repeatedly. He must be getting senile. Just a couple of years ago, he stood up to some punk kids in Detroit without flinching.

Nothing beats a fucked-up moment like that to spruce up Obama's image.

Oladub, as a casual reader, I think you should hang it up. You lose far more often than you win, by a large margin. But I accept your right to post. Frankly, I enjoy it. Nobody is right all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Oladub, as a casual reader, I think you should hang it up. You lose far more often than you win, by a large margin. But I accept your right to post. Frankly, I enjoy it. Nobody is right all the time.
    Big Dog, Is that your response to why President Obama is isn't pushing Simpson Bowles forward and is instead whining that "The RepubliCONS are intent on blocking everything Obama does" even after having a Democratic Senate for his entire term and a Democratic House for more than half of his term? I hope it is because everyone who participates gets a star .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2