Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The 2012 Republican National Convention

This is a thread for anything to do with the Republican National Convention and comments. No rules here. Flame all you want.

DAILY TV SCHEDULE all times EDT

The prime time seems to be 10pm. That is when Ryan and Romney will be presented. Worth noting is that Mario Rubio will be presenting Romney. Conventions spotlight rising politicians who might someday play a more prominent role. Mario Cuomo and Barack Obama were both given national recognition at conventions.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    This is a thread for anything to do with the Republican National Convention and comments. No rules here. Flame all you want.
    I see they popped in a national debt clock, Actually two of them. One represents the national debt as it stands today. The other represents the debt accumulation from when the convention kicked off.

So are they blindly attributing all debt to Barack Obama now? Do the republicans not take any ownership of our national debt? Are the various wars which went unfunded [[and kicked off by the Bush Admin) not a large portion of that debt?

Also, it's kinda sad that all those brown nosing tea partiers think that their shit doesn't stink. When in fact it is congress that has a super low approval rating. All time low. So go ahead and point your sharp little fingers across the aisle. Cry wolf and sound the alarms. The tea party was elected on the promise of jobs, and now they have morphed that expired, hollow promise into their platform against the president this time around. We all get it. Obama should have this economy humming on all cylinders by now. It's not like years of rampant deregulation had that long lasting of an affect on our economy, did it?

For those that think Capitalism is invincible and can be manipulated, deregulated, defunded and pushed to the brink without consequence, I have some land for sale. You cannot diminish manufacturing and offshore tech jobs without undermining the system. And we wonder why there is a revenue/spending debate.

Ironic Hypocrisy. A new low.

On a more positive note..... I am anxious to hear the right's platform develop. Perhaps they will lay out some definitive plans or proposed policy. Anything that develops from the one-trick pony that has fueled this hate monger group would be a breath of fresh air.

The national debt is a straw man. Throw a big number on a screen, watch a bunch of mathematically illiterate Bubbas shit themselves and pray themselves into submission. Lawd-a-mercy.

Then their Republican Masters have free reign to cut government spending, and simultaneously line their pockets by cutting taxes for themselves. AGAIN.

Welcome to the Plantation, assholes. Better get used to picking cotton so Massa Romney can keep his fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    The national debt is a straw man. Throw a big number on a screen, watch a bunch of mathematically illiterate Bubbas shit themselves and pray themselves into submission. Lawd-a-mercy.

Then their Republican Masters have free reign to cut government spending, and simultaneously line their pockets by cutting taxes for themselves. AGAIN.

Welcome to the Plantation, assholes. Better get used to picking cotton so Massa Romney can keep his fortune.
    I seriously LOL'd.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    I seriously LOL'd.
    I'm not laughing one bit. Students of history would recognize that the GOP is reintroducing the Southern Plantation labor system on a nationwide scale. Profit for the few off the backs of the many, using fear, outright lies, and legalized discrimination to maintain control over the masses.

Think it can't happen here? Those think tanks, right-wing newspapers, and cable news networks aren't there by accident. PATRIOT Act, anyone? Want to distract from economic reality?--just say the words "abortion", "rape", or "gay", and scare otherwise well-intentioned common folk into voting for you.

The candyasses like Paul Ryan may not come with Army divisions like the Khmer Rouge in the 1970s, but they'll use every dishonest bone in their scrawny bodies [[apologies to Chris Christie) to mindfuck you into economic submission.

It's up to us to protect our democracy--FOR the PEOPLE, NOT the FEW. Demanding HONESTY and DECENCY out of everyone we meet is a good start.

it is called the "corporate feudal state," and the ONLY party that is truly running counter to the tide are the Greens. The Republicans and their pot-smoking allies want to cram it down our throats, the Dems want a more gradual transition. I vote for Dems because they will give us longer to fight it.

Under Republican rules, any candidate with a majority of delegates in five states is entitled to be nominated and give a speech. Ron Paul won six states. The RNC did not approve of the way Republican caucus members voted in those states so it performed some intra-Party coup d'tats. Ron Paul votes were invalidated by the RNC and the RNC filled the vacancies with its own pick of Romney supporters. The remaining delegations with a lot of Ron Paul supporters were seated in the back corners of the Convention where they were less likely to be seen and heard. Nevertheless, a the chairperson of the Nevada delegation did get in a zinger when Nevada announced its delegate votes, publicly mentioning the vote fraud.

part of Wayne Terhune's speech:
    "In Nevada freedom is not just a word, it is a way of life. The Silver State is well-represented here at the National Convention... Six states nominated the champion of the Constitution Congressman Ron Paul for President of the United States. Iowa, Minnesota, Alaska, Virgin Islands, Oregon, and Nevada. In the spirit of freedom that inspired the founding of our country and in honor of the liberty that has made the United States the greatest country on Earth, we proudly cast 17 votes for Ron Paul, 5 abstentions, and 5 for Romney."

So I'm pretty disgusted with the Republican Party. If team Romney disenfranchises Republican votes, one can only surmise how Romney will deal with other Americans. This isn't to say Obama is better, his dictatorial penchants and economic shortcomings are huge problems with me, but Romney also seems willing to cheat to do his paymasters' bidding.

I'm pondering how to respond to these bad choices. One thing that I am considering is approaching a Democratic friend who is having serious misgivings voting for Obama again because of NDAA, other Obama police state enhancements, and all the wars. Maybe we can agree to each vote for a third party candidate of our respective choices, instead of canceling each other out while holding our noses voting for the lesser of two evils. The net result would be the same with regards to Romney/Obama but neither of us would have to cast a vote for evil.

You Used to Need Five States to Be Officially Put in Nomination for President at RNC. Ron Paul Gets Six. Rule Change! Now You Need Eight!

Anger Erupts At Convention Due To GOP Corruption

Ron Paul Delegates Cause Mayhem At Republican Convention

[[edited to add) To better facilitate the Team Romney coup d'tat at the Convention - Romney Camp Removing Rules Committee Members
    Ron Paul Revolt Blows Up GOP’s Unified Convention

Last edited by oladub; August-29-12 at 11:37 AM.

Under Republican rules, any candidate with a majority of delegates in five states is entitled to be nominated and give a speech. Ron Paul won six states. The RNC did not approve of the way Republican caucus members voted in those states so it performed some intra-Party coup d'tats.
    I'm obviously not a Ron Paul supporter, but I find this entire situation infuriating and quite scary. I know better, but it's almost shocking.

Classy!
    There’s nothing like politics to bring out the crazies in people — and celebrities are not immune from this often unflattering affliction. Against the backdrop of the Republican National Convention, actor and strident conservative Jon Voight unleashed a diatribe saying the Obama Administration has "taken over" mainstream media in the U.S. in the same way Hugo Chavez’s has in Venezuela. "The Republican Party is a victim of a bias, of a destructive bias against the Republican Party," Voight, in part, frothed. Meanwhile, as Hurricane Isaac loomed, threatening to take the convention out, actress Ellen Barkin re-tweeted this controversial message: "C'mon Isaac! Wash every pro-life, anti-education, anti-woman, xenophobic, gay-bashing, racist SOB right into the ocean!" And Samuel L. Jackson spat via Twitter: "Unfair S**t: GOP spared by Isaac!" Guys, stick to pretendin'.[Source]

UPDATE: After receiving a stack of angry @-replies, Jackson sent out an apology to "God, Tampa, da GOP& Isaac!" for what he called his "bullish*t tweet." He later added "Be Safe & be Smart wherever you are & whatever your Politics!" Barkin remains unrepentantly crazy.
    http://now.msn.com/republican-nation...1-0032229bdd23

Name:  ELLEN BARKIN.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  28.0 KB

A nation divided is easier to control!

What's classless about wishing horrible people would disappear?

Is it as class as this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1838249.html

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    What's classless about wishing horrible people would disappear?
    The difference between these two incident is that the nut tossing attendees were removed from the Convention by police and the Convention issued this statement,
    "Two attendees tonight exhibited deplorable behavior. Their conduct was inexcusable and unacceptable. This kind of behavior will not be tolerated."

You, on the other hand, tolerated and supported a statement wishing for others to die without any condemnation.

Which response is classless?

The difference between these two incident is that the nut tossing attendees were removed from the Convention by police and the Convention issued this statement,
    "Two attendees tonight exhibited deplorable behavior. Their conduct was inexcusable and unacceptable. This kind of behavior will not be tolerated."

You, on the other hand, tolerated and supported a statement wishing for others to die without any condemnation.

Which response is classless?
    If that's what I wished, Sarah Palin is the reason Gabby Giffords was shot. You are certifiably crazy.

I'm fairly confident that both these guys [[Obama and Romney) are having their strings pulled by people beyond them. Both are signed onto selling our country out, moving the country closer to abandoning it's sovereignty, and quite likely both are intentionally going to move the nation closer to total bankruptcy.

Global Government looks a lot better to the world with the US in it, and the way to get the US to sign on is for the rest of the world to bail it out. The US standard of living has to drop significantly, as it has been doing, and our Government has to spend spend spend.

We sell our secrets to our enemies and to countries that are economically agressive, then sign free trade deals with them and tank our own economy in the process. We hold our energy sources hostage, leave them untapped, and let the rest of the world flourish and surpass us by letting them be unleashed while we show restraint.

Both of them [[Obama & Romney) [[and every other past President) are doing deals to ensure their financial future post-Presidency, in return for campaign dollars and government contracts.

In the meantime, the media and the candidates get the people all riled up, make the people feel as if they actually have some kind of say in the nation's future. Keep the focus on Democrat V Republican and vice versa, not the fact we ALL are bipartisanly getting our country destroyed right under our noses and pointing at the other party and blaming them.

So here we are, bickering between two parties when ultimately they do differ on some issues but both are pushing toward the same goal.

“It will be just as easy for nations to get along in a republic of the World as it is for us to get along in a republic of the United States.”
    - Harry Truman, 33rd US President, June 28, 1945
    Last edited by Papasito; August-29-12 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    The national debt is a straw man.
    It's a straw man until the annual debt hits 100% of GDP. Then, historically, bad things start happening. It happened to Japan in the 90's. It happened to Greece a few years ago. It's happening to Spain and Italy right now.

The only reason the US isn't defaulting on loans left and right is the use of the US dollar as the standard currency for several types of international trade, so there's still demand for dollars. As the fed has been pumping currency out there, that has been changing quickly [[just one of the reasons we've been messing with countries in the middle east - attempting to make sure the dollar will continue to be used to trade oil)

Once people get fed up [[hah!) of the continual devaluing of the dollar, that'll be it for our blank check for national debt.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    It's a straw man until the annual debt hits 100% of GDP. Then, historically, bad things start happening. It happened to Japan in the 90's. It happened to Greece a few years ago. It's happening to Spain and Italy right now.
    Japan's gdp/debt ratio is still around 200%. The developed countries with the best gdp/debt ratios are all European social democracies. The countries with the best health care? The countries with the least violence? those same social democracies. The Ryan/Romney plan for the economy is the EU's plan for Greece, Spain, Italy, Portugal - and that plan has proven to be a failure

I don't know what the discussion about international GDP's has to do with what Ryan specifically said at the convention last night but here is a list of about 125 national GDP to Debt ratios. The US is already in the 11th worst position in one ranking and 10th worst on the other. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...by_public_debt

Back to the convention: A sample of Paul Ryan's speech:

"President Obama is the kind of politician who puts promises on the record, and then calls that the record. But we are four years into this presidency. The issue is not the economy as Barack Obama inherited it, not the economy as he envisions it, but this economy as we are living it.

College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life. Everyone who feels stuck in the Obama economy is right to focus on the here and now. And I hope you understand this too, if you’re feeling left out or passed by: You have not failed, your leaders have failed you.

None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers – a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us.
    Listen to the way we’re spoken to already, as if everyone is stuck in some class or station in life, victims of circumstances beyond our control, with government there to help us cope with our fate.

It’s the exact opposite of everything I learned growing up in
    Wisconsin, or at college in Ohio. When I was waiting tables, washing dishes, or mowing lawns for money, I never thought of myself as stuck in some station in life. I was on my own path, my own journey, an American journey where I could think for myself, decide for myself, define happiness for myself. That’s what we do in this country. That’s the American Dream. That’s freedom, and I’ll take it any day over the supervision and sanctimony of the central planners."

Full text: http://www.nationaljournal.com/2012-...0120829?page=1

It looks like your fellow cheesehead is the GOP's next rising star. This may be a dress rehearsal for 2016 when he gets to throw his hat into the ring for President. He will have plenty of money backing him. Good luck with the Paul's or any other Libertarian making any headway within the Repub party.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    It looks like your fellow cheesehead is the GOP's next rising star. This may be a dress rehearsal for 2016 when he gets to throw his hat into the ring for President. He will have plenty of money backing him. Good luck with the Paul's or any other Libertarian making any headway within the Repub party.
    Thanks, Ryan is on the ascendent. His competitors at this moment in 2016 seem to be Christie, Jeb Bush, Rubio, and I'd like to believe, Rand Paul; the only strongly libertarian in this field of big government Republicans. Should we be guessing that Hillary will represent Democrats in 2016?

I watched Rand Paul's speech. I didn't think he was as good of an orator as Christie and Ryan. Part of the audience seemed visibly cold or hostile to him early on in his speech sitting as rigidly as possible. By the end of the speech, the crowd seems to have warmed to Rand pretty well though. On some issues, libertarians agree with a lot of Democrats while on other issues, Democrats are closer to neocon Republicans. Here are some snips of Rand's speech:

"Republicans and Democrats alike must slay their sacred cows," "Republicans must acknowledge that not every dollar spent on the military is necessary or well-spent, and Democrats must admit that domestic welfare and entitlements must be reformed."

"Republicans and Democrats must replace fear with confidence, confidence that no terrorist, and no country, will ever conquer us if we remain steadfast to the principles of our Founding documents." "We have nothing to fear except our own unwillingness to defend what is naturally ours, our God-given rights. We have nothing to fear that should cause us to forget or relinquish our rights as free men and women." "To thrive we must believe in ourselves again, and we must never -- never -- trade our liberty for any fleeting promise of security."

full speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=insWYy4ewUQ

Rand Paul Says Paul Ryan's Budget Is 'Too Tepid' On Eve Of Paul's Convention Speech

I couldn't edit this into a previous post but the videos below show the deceit at the Republican Convention aimed at Paul supporters. This should help Obama. The first is a well produced video of the c--p that Paul delegates ran into. Unbelievable coup d'tat stuff that CNN, Fox, and MSNBC didn't cover.
    RNC Sham 2012

This second is boring but makes the point that even one of the votes seen on the previous link were scripted. I've never seen proof of vote fraud like this before. Skip to near the end for a civics lesson.
    The Republicans' 2012 Teleprompted Convention

"Somewhere backstage, Clint is still talking to the chair."

Had to pass this along.

Clint Eastwood was an embarrassment, trying to ad-lib and stammering over words, he should have read from a teleprompter like every one else. They might as well had that "turncoat" Kid Rock speak instead.

Now the Conference is over I see Mitt has gone to New Orleans and Oblama has gone to Texas for golf or campaigning or to explain how his followers can vote for him without ID's.

Good ol' Clint.

P.S.
    HOW DARE THE PRESIDENT GO GOLFING!

I enjoy many of Clint Eastwoods films and his acting but this was a hot mess!! He's fumbled and seemed a bit incoherent at events receiving his own awards!!

He's not the greatest public speaker. Never has been... Umm, he really does not talk much in his films!!! He should have had a teleprompter, with statements re. his opinion on why Romney and Ryan are the ticket and ditched the 'talking to the chair' thing!

Funny how the repubs are trying to damage-control and smooth over this. Ok - strap in folks, to see what the fun the dems will provide at their convention behind this!

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Clint Eastwood was an embarrassment, trying to ad-lib and stammering over words, he should have read from a teleprompter like every one else. They might as well had that "turncoat" Kid Rock speak instead.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-01-12 at 05:49 AM.

Clint Eastwood went off script and advocated returning the troops home from Afghanistan now when he was talking to his chair. The RNC wasn't expecting that I'll bet and after trying so hard to keep Ron Paul from saying such heretical things on stage.

"What the RNC did to Ron Paul was the height of rudeness and stupidity." -Michael Steele, former RNC chairman on the Daily show at 4min.

By Snubbing Ron Paul, the RNC May Have Cost Romney the Election -Huffington Post

Freudian slip:
    Speaking of mainstream Republicans when he was introducing Romney, Senator Rubio correctly stated,

"We chose more government instead of more freedom."

Such candor at the Romney convention was refreshing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast