Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Leopold's Bookstore On Woodward Is Closing

Greg, the owner of Leopold's, is a good guy and ran an interesting store. It was a great addition to Midtown. I feel bad for him.
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...ore_is_closing

Just like Borders, Leopold's just can't compete against e-books media market. If only he could gain support for WSU professors that issue textbooks. Students will come and that store will get half the profits.

Marwil's hang on because its WSU professors and instructors trust their quality mom and pop liberal service than Barnes and Noble across the street from W. Warren and Cass St.

It looked like a nice store but every time I went by in the last year or so the store was always closed during regular business hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Just like Borders, Leopold's just can't compete against e-books media market. If only he could gain support for WSU professors that issue textbooks. Students will come and that store will get half the profits.

Marwil's hang on because its WSU professors and instructors trust their quality mom and pop liberal service than Barnes and Noble across the street from W. Warren and Cass St.
    Have you been in Leopold's? Their market wasn't selling textbooks. It was more of a niche comic book/ graphic novel shop. So unless some Wayne State professor was teaching some pop culture thing, there's no way a student would pop in there for textbooks.

Want to compare them to Marwil's- you can't. Look at the space required for Marwil's to survive. See the square footage it takes to stack all of those books [[new AND used) and it's nothing remotely close to what Leopold's could do.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sad to see Leopold's folding because I thought they had an interesting niche and a great location. But I personally would've liked to have seen them get more aggressive in bringing in artists & authors for exclusive signings. I think that would've brought more exposure and business to them. Other independent book sellers like Green Brain Comics and even the long standing Book Beat in Oak Park have still found a way to survive that way.

I've driven by this store a number of times and couldn't tell they were open. It's a shame as I really enjoy bookstores. Let's keep in mind we still have one very excellent indie bookstore in the area, the Book Beat in Oak Park on Greenfield. Great store. They always have very interesting books, definitely not the run of the mill. The art section is great. So is the children's books. And where else will you find a section for beatnik literature and thought? They just celebrated their 30th anniversary. We must continue to support them so we don't have to read a story about why they had to close...