Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default How is the area to the east of U of D [[Martin Park?)

Google Maps says that area is called 'Martin Park'. It seems to have some very beautiful homes by looking at it in Google Streetview.

Has proximity to U of D helped this area remain relatively together? Or is it really not that good of an area?

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    Google Maps says that area is called 'Martin Park'. It seems to have some very beautiful homes by looking at it in Google Streetview.

Has proximity to U of D helped this area remain relatively together? Or is it really not that good of an area?
    Hopefully someone who lives there will answer. I stayed there for a while some years ago and it was OK. However, I don't know now--I just drive through it. My impression is that the part immediately adjacent to U-D isn't bad unless you object to students, but as you move south and east some of the streets look sketchier to me. Puritan looks pretty desolate.

I'm biased, but given the number of relatively cheap houses available in the University District, especially at the south end of the neighborhood, I would look there first.

I grew up there. Several of my childhood friends still live there so I'm in the neighborhood at least once or twice a week. Martin Park is bordered by Log Cabin/Highland Park on the east, Puritan on the south, U-D/Fairfield on the west and McNichols on the north. The area is still pretty solid although I am noticing a lot more abandoned/neglected homes than ever before. Drive down any block and you'll see 90% of the homes are well kept, but it's the other 10% that stands out.

It was a great neighborhood to grow up in.

I lived there until ten years ago. There were a few nice streets, however, the area was in decline.

Around the time that I moved, there was a feature article on the area just south of Martin Park. At that time, it had the highest concentration of drug houses in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post
    I lived there until ten years ago. There were a few nice streets, however, the area was in decline.

Around the time that I moved, there was a feature article on the area just south of Martin Park. At that time, it had the highest concentration of drug houses in the city.
    The area you speak of just south of Martin Park is known as Pilgrim Village. It's been known as a rough area since the 60s.