Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Harbor Island

Default Harbor Island

Looking at a rental house on Harbor Island for me and the dog. Know nothing about the community or neighborhood. Any insights? Thank you!

Harbor Island is located in zip code 48215...I don't know where you live now but when my father bought a new house in that zip code from a Macomb county zip code his auto and home owners insurance doubled.

Its a private street and everyone knows who, what, where, and how, on the Island. If they do not know you they will stop and ask who you are. Besides some of the gated subs its the one of few places in the city where you might find the front door or windows open. As mentioned above some of your costs will go up but if you have a boat and access to one of the wells you have a great location right at the mouth of the Detroit River. Have you been to the Island? Getting there can be quite interesting.

I live in the FD Lofts at Eastern Market now. I would be renting, not buying. Don't have a boat, the whole feel of it really appeals to me. I think I'll take a drive over there right now.

Back in the 60's a friend of mine used to live there. It was a very quiet street and I thought only the rich lived there, the Stroh Family lived there, too. The area was where I lived after getting married for a couple of years. It was great. I wouldn't worry too much about safety, I think it's a dead end street with only one way out....not too many criminals would venture into an area where they either had to swim to get away or be trapped. It's one of the best kept secrets in Detroit.

I grew up just around the block from Harbor Island, its a great little untouched [[by decay) pocket on the lower east-side. Like many of the posters have said its a unique water community...I don't think you'll be disappointed, go for it... not to mention you will have Alfred Ford Brush park footsteps from your home at the foot of Lakewood Ave to walk your dog. Hope you like the sound of freighters because you will hear them daily as they traverse the lake and river straits.

I know and have known people who lived in roughly 6 houses on that street.

What everyone else said. It's a quiet street with Lakewood Park basically within rock throwing distance. I don't know about swimming in the canals, but having a boat is very manageable.

Friendly neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    I don't know about swimming in the canals, but having a boat is very manageable.

Friendly neighbors.
    Not sure how I survived it but I swam everyone of those canals as a kid, it was our short cut over to angel park. I also used to own a small rowboat with a 8HP outboard engine that me and my buddies would carry down Chalmers onto to scripps then down Lakewood to the bridge at Harbor Is, then we would lift it up over the fence into a boat well, load her up head over to Tommys, fill up on gas and go play dodge the freighters on our way to Pesche Is. I was amazed the owner of that corner lot never gave us little Huck Fins any grief over using his yard as our gateway to adventure I was probably 12 maybe 13 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    I was amazed the owner of that corner lot never gave us little Huck Fins any grief over using his yard as our gateway to adventure I was probably 12 maybe 13 at the time.
    Maybe he did the same thing when he was a boy and didn't mind. Growing up in that neighborhood, on the canals, was wonderful. I don't think I'd want to swim in any of them, no telling what's under the water. There were quite a few drownings back in the 40's, 50's and early 60's.

We spent many a Friday night either at the foot of Alter or the foot of Lakewood watching the submarine races.

Did you end up moving there? Do you like it. I was looking at it on Google street view and it looks like an oasis in the ghetto.