Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default GE to bring 1200 jobs to metro-Detroit

Earlier I posted on auto suppliers looking to relocate in the metro-Detroit area and how they would probably end up in Oakland County. What do you think Detroit leaders are doing to land this GE Research Center? Is anyone doing anything to land this facility? City Council? Bing? This is exactly the type of research center that Detroit needs. It's knowledge based work in an emerging field that attracts young, educated people while also building upon the strengths we already have with all the laid off engineers and auto workers.

I'm an engineer that has many opportunities out of state and none in Michigan. I would love to stay in Michigan and work for GE. What are they planning to use this facility for and when can we start?

MIRepublic Guest

MotownSpartan,

From what I understand, they've already chosen a location. That they say it's in Wayne County kind of tells me that it's not going to be in Detroit. These choices are usually made far before they get to announcing these things.

bu, bu, but the cold weather sucks and the taxes are high and th the there is no talent left in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    MotownSpartan,

From what I understand, they've already chosen a location. That they say it's in Wayne County kind of tells me that it's not going to be in Detroit. These choices are usually made far before they get to announcing these things.
    "The operation will be in either Oakland or Wayne county. Given that GE chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt will be speaking at the Townsend Hotel tomorrow for the Detroit Economic Club, it is believed the location will be in Oakland County."

I 'm getting an Oakland county vibe from the article.

Regardless, this is excellent news. But considering all the empty industrial acreage in the city proper, it would make extra sense to have it there.

This, the GM announcement re: Orion, and the Cobo deal from Lansing make this a fairly hopeful day.

Now I'm just waiting for the first steam-shovel to arrive on Woodward Avenue for what we all know we need...

Stabenow reports that facility will be at Visteon site in Van Buren. That was a guess I had but LBP implies that the OC isn't off the list.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...ounty-facility

With these announcements, I always wonder if the jobs "being brought to Michigan" are actually brand new positions that can be filled by some of the unemployed folks here, or are they current positions of people getting transferred from another location?

MIRepublic Guest

In this case, I'm pretty sure most of the jobs associated with this will use unemployed auto engineers, in particular. In fact, I think one of the articles said that that was a factor [[though the biggest factor was that the state and feds presented GE with a detailed package of incentives).

Announced that the location will be in Van Buren Twp.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aQ4xSbC0Ykro

Default reGE

The day has even gotten sunnier with Monica Conyers and her guilty plea, which means , the crook cannot hold public office, with a felony....Good for GE and GMs decisons.. As for no talent left,,, that is a very wrong..
    Its about time we get some good news. hang in there Detroit, we are a tuff bunch.
    Last edited by DetroitBill; June-26-09 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling

So Obama "pushed" GE to take Michigan. Wonder what other states were in the running? Wonder of KY or TN tried to lure GE with millions in incentives? Michigan is a logical choice since there are so many engineers here though.

"The Advanced Manufacturing and Software Technology Center will be about 25 miles [[40 kilometers) outside Detroit in Van Buren Township, the Fairfield, Connecticut-based company said today in a statement."

What is with building this stuff so far out in BFE? Are we not spread out enough already?

It's a short drive to Metro and right at the intersection of I-94 and I-275. That gives them quick access to all of the current modes of transportation and within a reasonable driving distance of the suburbs where most of the 1200 employees will live.

My wife is an EE looking for work. Any word on when they will start hiring?

LBP sucks!

Huh? What does L. Brooks Patterson have to do with jobs coming to Washtenaw County?

Still doesn't have anything to do with LBP, but I'm pretty sure this will be located in Wayne County.

My mistake. It is right on the edge there.

Lorax Guest

Great news, we'll take it.

Now lets work on twenty more moves like it.