Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A record number of freshman living on campus at Wayne State.

I know they're excited.

I've lived on campus at East Lansing in addition to taking classes at LTU, WSU and Detroit Mercy.

There really is nothing like it.

And the transition of WSU from a commuter school to more live on campus has been a sight to behold.

Finally!!!!!

More good news for the cultural center area. The article notes that there will be 3000 on WSU residences. Some time back I remember Irving Reid saying that the plan was to increase that to 10000. So the trend should continue to grow.

There is also a large, and I would guess also growing, number of students living in the immediate off-campus neighborhoods, not to mention a sizable number of WSU staff and personnel who choose to live nearby.

I would be curious to know if anyone knows those numbers. The economic impact of that combined number has to be a substantial and positive influence over the rise of the New Center to Downtown axis.

I am a proud grandmother to one of those new freshmen!

Shouldn't they be freshpeople?

Danged if I know how these kids can afford dorm housing, much less tuition. But I wish them well [[especially paying off their student loans for the next twenty years)

I totally agree, Ray! $7000 per year for dorm housing. Tried to talk my grandson into staying with me and commuting, but he was having none of that! So, he got a student loan for it. I hope he will change his mind for next year!

I wonder if this is happening at UDM, CCS, and Marygrove too....

I never understood the push for lots of housing at campus. The thing that set WSU apart from the other schools was that it was for the working class kids, so they could get educated without going broke. A push for so much housing no doubt eats into this culture.

That being said, I am glad that there are people living on campus. It should make things safer, particularly for the working class students who are in class until 9 pm or later.

I always tell my students to live on campus for at least a year. They really need to get out of their parent's house and experience fending for themselves [[at least a little). They always let me know that it was the best decision they made. It gives them a bit of independence and responsibility. Plus, all of the family drama with students watching younger siblings and having to do things at home, instead of going to class, is eliminated.

"I never understood the push for lots of housing at campus. The thing that set WSU apart from the other schools was that it was for the working class kids, so they could get educated without going broke."

That is a distant memory. Too much "Wayne Way" makes for a bloated and top-heavy organization, and they keep that beast fed through nickle and dime-ing the students.

Reid was one of the worst things to happen to that place.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I never understood the push for lots of housing at campus. The thing that set WSU apart from the other schools was that it was for the working class kids, so they could get educated without going broke. A push for so much housing no doubt eats into this culture.
    Frankly, I've never understood why they didn't have tons of housing on Campus. What you describe is the niche local community colleges, satellite [[um dearborn/flint Oakland U), and to some extent the compass colleges should be filing. WSU with it's location, size, funding, and graduate programs should be a tier one state school....not a majority commuter school for part-time students. That "thing that set them apart" as you put it, set them way apart reputation-wise as well.

I'm not saying "working class" or "urban" kids shouldn't go to Wayne, I'm saying that there is a tiered system that is supposedly set up to accommodate them. Want value for tuition dollar? Get pre-reqs or remedial classes done at the local CC and THEN go to Wayne...or MSU...or UM...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Frankly, I've never understood why they didn't have tons of housing on Campus. What you describe is the niche local community colleges, satellite [[um dearborn/flint Oakland U), and to some extent the compass colleges should be filing. WSU with it's location, size, funding, and graduate programs should be a tier one state school....not a majority commuter school for part-time students. That "thing that set them apart" as you put it, set them way apart reputation-wise as well.

I'm not saying "working class" or "urban" kids shouldn't go to Wayne, I'm saying that there is a tiered system that is supposedly set up to accommodate them. Want value for tuition dollar? Get pre-reqs or remedial classes done at the local CC and THEN go to Wayne...or MSU...or UM...etc.
    What about working class folks who want to go beyond Associates Degrees? It seems to me you are talking from two sides here. You are saying it is good to save money by going to a junior college [[which I agree with), but the culture of Wayne needs to change leaving its traditional base [[working class just out of high school or extended education for older adults) in the dust in favor of being a cookie cutter university. I went to Wayne and found the diversity in ages and socio-economic backgrounds one of its biggest strengths. I also went to Hank's on the Highway and WC3 prior to WSU to do exactly what you outlined. All I said was I would hate to see that culture replaced.