Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What do you all think about schools like Ross, Dorsey, Everest, et. al?

I don't know firsthand, but I know those types of schools have bad reps. Ross has been around for a long time but I don't know anyone who actually graduated from there and went on to a successful career.

My daughter wants to be a dental assistant and she was thinking of trying one of these schools, but I think she might be better off going to a community college. However, these schools promise a fast track to certification so you can get to work. I know at the community colleges, you waste a lot of time taking irrelevant classes.

Any opinions on these schools? Do any of you know people who have gone there and actually did well?

Eh, already did some searching and found tons from both students and instructors, just what I thought.

Think I'll look closer at the community college option for her.

Skip these schools! There's whole forums devoted elsewhere on their academic merit, scholarship and relevant education alignments. Questionable often... it's an ongoing debate.

Setting that aside, schools of this nature cater to the belief that there's a SHORT CUT to education IMO. From my experience [[teaching college courses, etc) those thinking they can get something from these 1 year, short semester set-ups sometimes ACTUALLY need and do better in the traditional 15-16 week, two or four-year time frame the community or four-year college/ university provides.

What you do not hear is that there's a high level of 'drop out' from these fast-track schools, which by their shorter semesters and time frames are accelerated by definition. Everyone is NOT an accelerated learner. They do not care if you are or not.

Further, schools like Everest do not provide transferable credits. It is a 'closed' system, often as expensive a university once you read the fine print and get into it programs.

Far better to get a certificate from a four-year college which has a reputation than toil with this stuff. A specialized certificate goes even further when you already have an associates or bachelors degree and you need additional certification.

For those considering these 'schools' as the fast-track "magic bullet" advantage over those spending time in a two or four-year college, CONSIDER THIS:

- What do employers look at when hiring?

- Employers weigh potential candidates based on where they attended school - and they have plenty of options to choose from! Some employers judge these 10 month certificates as cursory 'over view' surface-based certifications, not indepth. They do not consider the training to be very thorough. It usually is not.

- When presented against those candidates with college and university degrees, associates and above, employers will choose the degree holding candidates first. Why shouldn't they?

- There's no UPSIDE for them to choose the candidate with less education from these institutions when they do not have to. That's a hard fact.

I work at a community college and we get many students presenting with fast-track certificates - having to start over to get their associates degree or specialized certifications, or both. Money and time was wasted.

Also, a good community college provides transferable credits and in many cases articulations with universities towards a four-year degree.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-28-12 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks a ton, Zacha! Great detailed opinion, and I agree. It seems tempting for someone not wanting to put in the work, and of course young people see that 2-4 year commitment as a lifetime, even though they will still be in their early 20s when they finish!

Are there any actual good technical schools? I don't care for ITT Tech either.

I've shared your thoughts above with my daughter. I think I have her convinced to do community college for at least a year, and then she's talking about trying to get into OU.

Thanks again!

I'd go the community college route. I try to sway students away from these types of schools. I've had a few try them and they promptly transferred to a community college.

unaccredited. Bad idea

Detwa-

I have a step-daughter who attended just such an establishment. She is looking at 30k in debt, no hope of getting a position in her chosen field and essentially a black hole of opportunity.

Please avoid these places.

If your daughter wants a particular profession, have her speak with folks in that field and ask them how they got where they got. You should speak with them as well. You do not want to have your daughter saddled by a huge debt and no hope.

Those for-profit recruiters are all paid on commission. They will tell your daughter anything to get her to sign. Anything from the joys of campus life, to bright limitless career opportunities.

I suggest you bring a small micro tape recorder to the interview and make sure the recruiter knows it is sitting in the middle of the table. Then ask pointed questions. Any hemming or hawing will speak volumes.

Thanks for all of the feedback! I had a feeling that was the case with most, if not all of these types of schools.

We're looking at the community colleges now. Several of her friends have also gone to Ross and another similar school and they all dropped out within a short time, so that's telling also.

Yeah those recruiters 'behave' like folks on commission. They push and call and don't let up. Worst than MLM pyramid sales people... I'm sure they would enjoy the microphone. The criticize the two and four year colleges and university and end up cost as much if not more - delivering very little.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I suggest you bring a small micro tape recorder to the interview and make sure the recruiter knows it is sitting in the middle of the table. Then ask pointed questions. Any hemming or hawing will speak volumes.

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier, but let me chime in anyway. As gnome & Zacha stated, these are for profit schools, looking to make a profit off you. MY sister-in-law taught at one for a semster. She took the job out of desparation after moving to Virginia for my brother's job. She was paid poorly, but what was worse were the students. She told me they were mostly folks were ill prepared for college level courses, & were reading at a middle school level. She also told me how they were apathetic & disrespectful to her. She had money stolen from her bag once. It was an awful experience for her. However, I guess this is type of student you get when the school will accept anyone who'll pay. For many folks this is the only school they can get in because they are low performing students. Now the question which I hope you've evaluated is "Do I want my kid going to such a school?"