Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Downtown Apartment Development

Spoke with a couple of construction workers about the building they were working on, 735 Griswold, and they said that the building was becoming apartments.

Anyone else have more deets?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes, two other buildings including the Farwell are being converted to to apartments as well. Over 200 in all and some retail space.

Used to be a Hardees back in the day..... The Corner was Olde, a stock brokerage.

It seems like a strange building to convert to residential, but I'm glad something is happening with it.

each building is supposed to start 6 months after the one before it. So the next building should be Farwell in February and then the other next August. I would not be surprised if some type of loft/apartment plan is implemented for the Book or David Stott...perhaps even both. These three buildings, the Broderick, and the David Whitney are all currently being redeveloped. I believe they will fill up quickly.

I tried a google search on this and it came up with no information about the buildings actually being developed. was anyone else successful?

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    each building is supposed to start 6 months after the one before it. So the next building should be Farwell in February and then the other next August. I would not be surprised if some type of loft/apartment plan is implemented for the Book or David Stott...perhaps even both. These three buildings, the Broderick, and the David Whitney are all currently being redeveloped. I believe they will fill up quickly.
    This building is not one of the three Capitol Park buildings to be developed. This one isn't in Capitol Park.

Oh Whoops! I thought this was one of those three. Sorry! I have no clue what this is then..

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    This building is not one of the three Capitol Park buildings to be developed. This one isn't in Capitol Park.
    Yeah, this building is the one just north of the Dime Building [[or Chrysler House...whatever) on Griswold...across from E&Y Building. This would be a new development that I hadn't heard of yet.

So, the Capital Park Building and the Farwell are to be developed...what is the third one or is their a link to any info on the "plan" for residences in the Park? I thought a prior thread mentioned up to 400 units in the 3-4 block area between Michigan and the end of Griswold.

I hope that extensive background checks would be done on potential residents who want to reside in these upcoming downtown developement. Apartment and condos developements in the areas around downtown detroit had drug dealers resided in them during the 70s and 80s which had brought down the standard of living in them

I have never heard of background checks being done for apartments.
    Last edited by Islandman; August-24-12 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    I have never heard of backgorund checks being done for apartments.
    For the Broderick they just wanted my pay stub. So if the drug dealers don;t also have a legit job allowing them to pay $1000 and up per month they aren't getting in. Also, there is a really large police presence Downtown. I am not sure if it has always been that way, but I wouldn't think dealers would wanna deal with that.

Many mid-to-higher end apartment communities conduct not just income verification but also a brief background check.

In the 3 larger communities I lived in in Chicago, 2 of the 3 [[One East Delaware and 445 E. Ohio) ran a criminal/background check.

And when I sublet a place I was living in, I ran a background check on the potential subletters for like $20-30.

Interesting. I lived in 2 high end buildings in Charlotte and all they cared about was money.

Does anyone know who owns this building?

Man, i hope they do something about that ugly 60s addition that was built on top of the building.

superduperman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    For the Broderick they just wanted my pay stub. So if the drug dealers don;t also have a legit job allowing them to pay $1000 and up per month they aren't getting in. Also, there is a really large police presence Downtown. I am not sure if it has always been that way, but I wouldn't think dealers would wanna deal with that.
    Hate to break it to you but drug dealers live in every new development that has sprung up in Detroit and out in the burbs, from the low end to the high end. And a large police presence is plus, drug dealers generally don't deal where they lay their heads and want to be safe just like the rest of us at night. And as far as a legit job saying they make X ammount of dollars, is that joke because it sure isn't a hurdle.

I have worked for two major multi-family property management companies and both ran credit checks, income verifications, prior rental history verifications and criminal background checks.

Both companies did not allow anyone with a prior felony conviction or sexual misdemeanor to live in their communities.

I have worked for two major multi-family property management companies and both ran credit checks, income verifications, prior rental history verifications and criminal background checks.
    Both companies did not allow anyone with a prior felony conviction or sexual misdemeanor to live in their communities.

The Wayne County Treasurer lists 5 taxpayers for 735 Griswold, including several that seem to be associated with the school that formerly occupied the building and the amorphous, "Griswold Holdings, LLC." This building seems unlikely to become apartments, based on what little one can discern of the floor plan from the outside, but perhaps someone has been inside and has more intelligence on the matter?

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    The Wayne County Treasurer lists 5 taxpayers for 735 Griswold, including several that seem to be associated with the school that formerly occupied the building and the amorphous, "Griswold Holdings, LLC." This building seems unlikely to become apartments, based on what little one can discern of the floor plan from the outside, but perhaps someone has been inside and has more intelligence on the matter?

I also agree that the apparent floor plan for this building isn't conducive to apartments. Just merely reporting the brief conversation I had with construction workers on site. However, because of the building's old commercial floor plan, the apartments carved out of it should be pretty sweet.

Also, I got the same info you did about the owner, I used SiteControl.us [[ran by the WhyDontWeOwnThis and Loveland guys).

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-08-27 at 3.24.08 PM.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  50.5 KB

I've heard of it, even some running ICHAT and OTIS runs to see if they get a hit. OTIS if free.