Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Masonic Temple in trouble with DTE

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Who owns this place now? I seem to remember Ilitch was running it for awhile but then that stopped. I saw the Jack White show there a few months ago in the Scottish Rite temple, which is an amazing room.

This was never an LCE/OAI [[Olympia Arenas) property. It was managed for quite some time by Nederlander and used for shows that were too large for the Fisher.

The Metropolitan Opera performed in Detroit at the Masonic Temple until about 1985. Mom and I would attend two or three operas every year, after dinner at Mario's, of course.

Maybe they should go with a power company that offers cheaper rates?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    This was never an LCE/OAI [[Olympia Arenas) property. It was managed for quite some time by Nederlander and used for shows that were too large for the Fisher.
    Illitch ran it from 2007 until 2010.
    From the Free Press
    The Masonic was operated for several decades by the Nederlander Organization, which struck a deal with Olympia in the 1990s to share costs for the building’s lease and operations. Olympia gained exclusive rights to bring music events to the venue.
    Olympia took over full operations in 2007, when Nederlander pulled out of the Masonic to devote its resources to the Detroit Opera House and the Fisher Theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    Maybe they should go with a power company that offers cheaper rates?
    You'd think as Masonics they'd be connected.

As for the power...will the Derby ladies have to skate by moonlight?!

Is it still the largest Masonic Temple anywhere?
    The power bills have got to be HUGE.

Either way, I can't imagine that there isn't the money somewhere to pay this bill [[If the Masons are really going broke, then 2012 really might be the Apocalypse )

My guess is they're doing what banks do.
    Accept money as quickly as possible, disperse money as slowly as allowable, and make fat interest in the middle.

Who is paying fat interest these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    You'd think as Masonics they'd be connected.
    I was thinking the same exact same. I'm surprised they have to pay any sort of utility to be honest. They have to have people on the inside.