Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default New Business opens in Detroit

I'm surprised that no one cares about a company that expect to hire 600+ good paying union/professional jobs that opened yesterday.

""This is the largest number of newauto jobs in the city of Detroit in over 20 years," Louis Green, president of the Michigan Minority Supplier Council"
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012082...-expects-surge

I saw this as well! Keep them coming, it is fantastic news.

We care, its just we all dont read the FREEP.
    I hope they have success, its a real tough battle

Great news, but I thought it had been covered already. There were several prior announcements about this development.

It's also less exciting to attract old economy auto supplier jobs than to attract fewer, new economy jobs.

I did think it was funny that the Faurecia rep said he was glad to bring a taste of France to Detroit, as though he were unaware of our heritage as a French city.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    It's also less exciting to attract old economy auto supplier jobs than to attract fewer, new economy jobs.
    Manufacturing is still the dominate part of the regional economy. Its part of the catch 22 we find ourselves in: Do we go after new business sectors or do we keep the ones we know we do well? I vote for both.

Public radio had it covered yesterday as well. Andra Rush is quite an impressive businessperson. I didn't realize until reading the Freep article that the Rush Group is the largest Native American enterprise in the country. I was a bit taken aback by the photos of her in protective eyewear. She looked too much like Sarah Palin. Yikes!

..I hope the company continues to grow/thrive.. on their webpage they list detroit works as the contact-site for future jobs..

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Manufacturing is still the dominate part of the regional economy. Its part of the catch 22 we find ourselves in: Do we go after new business sectors or do we keep the ones we know we do well? I vote for both.
    Agreed. Both is the only way to go. It's absurd to think we're going to abandon manufacturing. It's also absurd to bet the farm on it being here forever.

I saw a news report on this where they interviewed a few people who were recently brought on board with this company. The feedback they provided was borderline comical.

The general consensus was that this plant opening was a symbol that Detroit was returning to a job creation environment and that it signified that "things were turning around in the city".

Not to be too cynical, but is 600 jobs finally returning to Detroit really foreshadowing of things getting better? In an economy that could slash 100x that next week on the flip of an executive wrist?

Maybe we should be looking at details like:

Why did this company open it's doors in Detroit? What spurred it?

Was there an economic advantage to this opening?

Who owns it, and what else do they already own?

Just trying to be a realist. Don;t think I don't appreciate the creation of jobs. I just want to put it into the bigger picture.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Not to be too cynical, but is 600 jobs finally returning to Detroit really foreshadowing of things getting better? In an economy that could slash 100x that next week on the flip of an executive wrist?
    Better than 600 leaving for Mexico, Canada, or Korea!
    http://www.starrbrite.com/starfish.html