Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Victims of shooting near Detroit Princess demanding justice

UPDATE:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...anding-justice

About two weeks ago, Latoiya Mitchell is accused of opening fire into a crowd, shooting six people following a fight aboard the Detroit Princess. She eventually turned herself in, but later released. The prosecutor's office said there was not enough evidence to charge her, although police claim they had given them more than enough.

"It has come to my understanding that the suspect's grandmother has a close personal relationship with Kym Worthy," said attorney James Galen. [victims attorney]....

Sounds fishy but I dont buy the conspiracy theory.
    This whole case is a head scratcher though, doesnt make any sense.
    Give it time and it will play out.

i think this case is similar to stand your ground... as the grandmother clearly states that if she hadn't had access to a gun, she and her boyfriend would be dead right now.... so luckily she was able to leave and come back and shoot the people that were going to harm her....

nothing to see here.

Somethings wrong with the sequence of all of that. If the woman was able to get off the boat she was out of harms way. She could have gotten into her car and drove off and let things cool down in the context of a family feud.

Instead she allegedly went to her car and GOT A GUN to shoot and folks in masse. Someone that was on the boat firing back seemed to be what stopped it after her husband caught a bullet in the back.

What a mess. I see nothing here relative to 'standing ones ground'. Nothing.

According to Wikipedia:

A stand-your-ground law states that a person may use force in self-defense when there is reasonable belief of a threat, without an obligation to retreat first. In some cases, a person may use deadly force in public areas without a duty to retreat.
    And from the Fox story:
    That argument carried over to land where police have said Mitchell went to her car, grabbed her registered revolver and fired into the crowd, striking six people...
    How is this stand your ground, when she was able to retreat to her car and avoid the threat? And where does stand your ground say you can shoot into a crowd of innocent people?

It sounds to me the term that applies here is careless and irresponsible revenge.
    Last edited by downtownguy; August-22-12 at 12:25 PM.

I think Goose may have forgotten to click the sarcasm button.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    It sounds to me the term that applies here is careless and irresponsible revenge.
    I think ALL of them should be punished for letting a disagreement escalate to a point where any party felt the need to get violent.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I think Goose may have forgotten to click the sarcasm button.
    b i n g o

the grannie is claiming some sort of self defense plea

superduperman Guest

When and where did the people who are victims get their gun?

I can see a scenario where the larger group had her husband surrounded and she ran to the car to get the gun to defend him. There's probably more to this than meets the eye and Kym Worthy has proven to be a very cautious prosecutor, not wanting to being charges that won't stick.

UPDATE:

Woman acquitted of attempted murder, assault in Detroit Princess shooting

Even though she shot first, Mitchell-Thomas claimed the shooting was in self-defense because she was trying to stop people from beating up her husband. A jury believed her.

WOW! must be a charming lady.

So now in the city of Detroit it is OK to shoot recklessly in to a crowd to defend yourself or a family member? Shameful!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    So now in the city of Detroit it is OK to shoot recklessly in to a crowd to defend yourself or a family member? Shameful!
    That's what I was thinking. The door's wide open.

^^^ Well I think I am done with the Princess DJ party "Cruises" since it is laying like this. Or maybe I will stick to the senior events when they have them on all decks, though I am not quite that old yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Well I think I am done with the Princess DJ party "Cruises" since it is laying like this. Or maybe I will stick to the senior events when they have them on all decks, though I am not quite that old yet!
    I'd still be careful. A lot of those seniors carry canes and have trouble seeing. There's no telling where you might get hit!

^^^ I thought about that......!