Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Nope, but it was the topic of this thread as opposed to everything else. Yes, I do pay attention to hypocrisy, irony, and double standards.
    I'd recommend, for the sake of productivity, to stick with the topic instead of trying to relate it to unrelated topics. Otherwise, we're not getting much done outside of inflammatory, circular discussion. Then again, we're all guilty of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    could it be possible he misspoke??

kinda stupid for sure, like whomever titled this thread

he said "legitimate rape", not forcible

seems you have mischaracterized his words.... perhaps like he did...
    There is rape and there is ..rape. There is no forcible rape or legitimate rape. Rape is rape, and a woman's body doesn't not "shut that stuff down" in any case. Republicans, or at least the two running for office, want to get rid of the option of abortion in all cases, including rape and incest. They also want to not give women the right to have birth control covered by a national insurance policy. That is what I meant by the attempt by the GOP to take possession of women's bodies and their ability to control their own lives.
    We already don't get paid the same as men in many cases; it appears that they want to go back to the days when men were men and women were property

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I'd recommend, for the sake of productivity, to stick with the topic instead of trying to relate it to unrelated topics. Otherwise, we're not getting much done outside of inflammatory, circular discussion. Then again, we're all guilty of that!
    You wrote in post # 25, "Is the GOP in bed with China?"

Are you exempt from your own rules?

pro-life now means that we are going back to the stone age and dragging women to our caves by their hair after clubbing them on the head....

amazing that on one hand the left wants all govenmental contol off womens bodies particularly in regards to abortion and birth control...

yet they are more than willing to hand over the entire health care system to this same government

DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY WON'T BE TELLING YOU WHAT AND WHAT YOU CANNOT DO IN A FEW YEARS, WHAT TYPE OF HEALTH CARE IS APPROVED???

seems very hypocritical... either government out of your body and health or not... seems like you want the benefits and none of the responsibility....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    pro-life now means that we are going back to the stone age and dragging women to our caves by their hair after clubbing them on the head....

amazing that on one hand the left wants all govenmental contol off womens bodies particularly in regards to abortion and birth control...

yet they are more than willing to hand over the entire health care system to this same government

DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY WON'T BE TELLING YOU WHAT AND WHAT YOU CANNOT DO IN A FEW YEARS, WHAT TYPE OF HEALTH CARE IS APPROVED???

seems very hypocritical... either government out of your body and health or not... seems like you want the benefits and none of the responsibility....
    Frankly, I don't need the birth control or abortion; I'm well past that age. What is needed is for women to not be second class citizens who are treated as chattel. I don't see the conservative right butting into men's forms of birth control. Maybe men shouldn't be allowed to have vasectomies at the whim of the government.
    When men are raped and impregnated by their rapists, then you can come and tell me how fair it is to not be able to have an abortion or the morning after pill. Perhaps I'll listen to you then.
    Last edited by jcole; August-22-12 at 10:56 PM.

You wrote in post # 25, "Is the GOP in bed with China?"

Are you exempt from your own rules?
    This is the 2nd time you've completely misunderstood a post of mine in 2 days. You seem to lack the ability or interest in reading the entire thread and picking up the context of any comments.

Here's why Akin's comments affect the GOP and Romney, in particular:

The source of Akin's ridiculous belief that the female body knows when it's been raped and can prevent pregnancy is Dr. Jack Willke. Dr. Willke was an important part of Romney's 2008 campaign. His campaign claimed, "Dr. Willke is a leading voice within the pro-life community and will be an important surrogate for Governor Romney's pro-life and pro-family agenda."

What I don't understand is what is the difference morally between forcible and non forcible abortion?

Note that in Pam's video, Ron Paul, an OB, said that he would offer estrogen to a woman who had been raped. That would abort the baby. Yet, he was lumped in with the the message that Republicans are always against the right of women to kill their babies. I guess viewers are considered too stupid to notice.

Meanwhile, I already mentioned the specter of an alleged rapist [[Bill Clinton>Juanita Broaderick) and the personification of Julia, Sandra Fluke, taking the stage at the Democratic convention and Democrats not being concerned with the irony. Today, I received an email from Sandra Fluke from barackoboma.com doing exactly what I predicted; using the Akin comment to tar every Republican. "In a recent statement that was both factually inaccurate and horribly offensive, Republican Missouri Senate candidate Rep. Todd Akin said that victims of "legitimate rape" don't get pregnant because "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down." Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan tried to distance themselves from the remark -- but the fact is they're in lockstep with Akin on the major women's health issues of our time."

Democrats have no idea what a spectacle 30 year old student Sandra Fluke was to many non-Democrats when she spoke to a photo-op gathering of Democratic Senators and demanded the federal government and her pricey Jesuit Georgetown University provide her with birth control. It turned out that that would have cost her $9/month at Walgreen. This was just before she took a trip to Europe. It's all about lifestyle. In the Democratic Party Julia ad, we followed Julia's life as she was provided a life of dependency by a hubby government. Here is Sandra Fluke promoted as being the ideal dependent role model being made a Democratic Party spokeswoman. Incredible. Don't Democrats realize how absurd and distasteful Sandra Fluke seems to the rest of America?

I guess that Joe the Plumber and Joe Biden are supposed to appeal to white male blue collar workers so the two parties can pretend they give a d--- about them. Sandra Fluke, in the same condescending fashion, is delegated with outreach to some base of women and her present job is to do the dirty work of tagging all Republicans with the Akin comment.

For the record, before everyone starts yelling at me, I support state legislation allowing women to kill their babies believing that there are legitimate reasons for doing so although I don't want to be forced to pay for it. Why can't Democrats just set up a fund to abort each other?

Note that in Pam's video, Ron Paul, an OB, said that he would offer estrogen to a woman who had been raped. That would abort the baby. Yet, he was lumped in with the the message that Republicans are always against the right of women to kill their babies. I guess viewers are considered too stupid to notice.

Meanwhile, I already mentioned the specter of an alleged rapist [[Bill Clinton>Juanita Broaderick) and the personification of Julia, Sandra Fluke, taking the stage at the Democratic convention and Democrats not being concerned with the irony. Today, I received an email from Sandra Fluke from barackoboma.com doing exactly what I predicted; using the Akin comment to tar every Republican. "In a recent statement that was both factually inaccurate and horribly offensive, Republican Missouri Senate candidate Rep. Todd Akin said that victims of "legitimate rape" don't get pregnant because "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down." Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan tried to distance themselves from the remark -- but the fact is they're in lockstep with Akin on the major women's health issues of our time."

Democrats have no idea what a spectacle 30 year old student Sandra Fluke was to many non-Democrats when she spoke to a photo-op gathering of Democratic Senators and demanded the federal government and her pricey Jesuit Georgetown University provide her with birth control. It turned out that that would have cost her $9/month at Walgreen. This was just before she took a trip to Europe. It's all about lifestyle. In the Democratic Party Julia ad, we followed Julia's life as she was provided a life of dependency by a hubby government. Here is Sandra Fluke promoted as being the ideal dependent role model being made a Democratic Party spokeswoman. Incredible. Don't Democrats realize how absurd and distasteful Sandra Fluke seems to the rest of America?

I guess that Joe the Plumber and Joe Biden are supposed to appeal to white male blue collar workers so the two parties can pretend they give a d--- about them. Sandra Fluke, in the same condescending fashion, is delegated with outreach to some base of women and her present job is to do the dirty work of tagging all Republicans with the Akin comment.

For the record, before everyone starts yelling at me, I support state legislation allowing women to kill their babies believing that there are legitimate reasons for doing so although I don't want to be forced to pay for it. Why can't Democrats just set up a fund to abort each other?
    Yes, I can certainly see how a well-to-do individual's belief that the government should fund contraception is the EXACT SAME as a politician quoting the stupidly erroneous account of a former/current Presidential candidate's key surrogate.

B
    efore Al Franken was a senator [[D-MN) "he was a writer for Saturday Night Live. Then, he joked about raping CBS reporter Lesley Stahl."

And, ‘I give the pills to Lesley Stahl. Then, when Lesley’s passed out, I take her to the closet and rape her.’ Or, ‘That’s why you never see Lesley until February.’ Or, ‘When she passes out, I put her in various positions and take pictures of her.’” -[[future) US Senator Al Frenken [[D-MN)

"Earlier this week, Senator Al Franken of Minnesota joined Vice President Joe Biden for a campaign event in Minnesota."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...en_650609.html

Unlike some who try to smear all Republicans with Akin's comment, I think Al Franken's humor is his alone but it is evidence of a double standard. How is Sandra Fluke is going to spin this at the Democratic convention?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Very effective.

Good symbolism at the end but I keep thinking she's holding up one too many fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Akin is woefully misinformed and is an idiot for publicly speaking about such a sensitive subject without checking his facts, but calling him "evil" or suggesting that he is a rapist is just as idiotic and offensive as his comments. It is true that abortions that are performed due to rape are not very common [[Most studies show them to be less than 1% of all abortions performed in the U.S). If he wanted to express his pro life views he should have highlighted that fact instead of some pseudo science rumor that he had heard.
    They are evil.

can't WAIT to see the Clinton/Fluke photo opportunities at the DNC convention... they will look great together!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Very effective.

Good symbolism at the end but I keep thinking she's holding up one too many fingers.
    BUT notice which finger is "red"

It doesn't matter if Romney or Ryan are staunchly pro-life or even casually pro-life, whether there's a rape exemption or not [[there isn't one on the D side either) ... it isn't going to change Rowe V Wade.

Reagan was pro life, Bush I and II were pro life, and guess what? Rowe V Wade still stands.

This recent media frenzy is just another effort for politicians to scare women and teenage girls into thinking their rights are going to be taken away.

The entire recent abortion debate is theoretic and hypercritical, there is no threat to women's rights and abortion isn't going anywhere.

So how about focusing on the unchanged unemployment numbers and the fact our economy is showing indicators it may be lapsing into another recession? Keep your eye on the ball, people. Things aren't good, and people are wasting their time on things that are already settled - like Rowe V Wade.

"Is the GOP in bed with China?"

EVERYONE is in bed with China.
    Last edited by Papasito; August-28-12 at 12:33 PM.

Rowe v Wade is a divided Supreme Court decision. There have been several runs at overturning it or limiting it, but fortunately the SCt has not done anything to it. Yet. Let a president appoint a justice with severe leanings to anti-abortion at whatever cost, with a vehemently pro Life Congress, and Roe v Wade could indeed fall. So, women's reproductive right cannot be ignored in an election that has the potential to load the process against women.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    No, he did not misspeak. He clearly, along with other thugish repubs, thinks that if a woman is really raped, her body can stop the pregnancy. The only thing he apologized for was the use of the word "legitimate."
    I hadn't heard about the other repubs that agree with him on this particular statement. Who are they?

Very common belief among evangelicals and the Xtian right:

http://www.christianliferesources.co...s-are-rare-461

I listen to some conservative news and many of the repub front runners have had to distance themselves from Atkins, who's comments beyond ridiculous are useless to ANY prolife cause. Politics is the crazy dance of lead and follow, push and pull... so of course the dems will say that Akin's comments represent ALL conservatives 'evil' male and female [[especially great that a man said it - more the better). We need neat boxes like this especially around election time.

The repubs are not the only folks on the planet suggesting at least some push back on the number of abortions performed. Repub men are not the only gender weighing in. It's not a simple issue, or one that can be fully accommodated at the partisan level.

As Papisito stated, Roe v Wade is not going to be overturned - whichever side you take, pro or against. However, more individual women and families are making other choices as information about abortion becomes more prevalent. The law is the law, then there is the individual, their informed conscious and reckoning - one woman at a time - looking deeper into this issue withstanding the politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    I hadn't heard about the other repubs that agree with him on this particular statement. Who are they?
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-29-12 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    Akin was just quoting an important Romney surrogate.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Akin was just quoting an important Romney surrogate.
    Source?

The Supreme Court couldn't even get Obamacare overturned.
    There's no way they will overturn Rowe V Wade.

Everyone got all hyped up for Reagan's 2 terms, Bush I's term and Bush II's 2 terms because they were Pro-Lifers. Got the bleeding hearts all riled up.
    "They're going to take away women's rights!"
    "They're going to ban abortion!"
    The abortion debate was much, much hotter in the 80's and 90's than it is today. And yet - Nothing changed.

I don't see Rowe V Wade being overturned.
    This is just scare tactics to play to a voting block.

ok, oldrefordette, that went a little to the extreme, although I can certainly understand how infuriating these nutjobs can be, especially when the subject here is rape. can't condone the "kill yourself" comment, though

Yeah, it's always a good time when you suddenly feel you've stumbled into the base, crass and personal-attack 'youtube' style of responses/ comments...

We can do a better job of disagreeing here at detroityes!

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    ok, oldrefordette, that went a little to the extreme, although I can certainly understand how infuriating these nutjobs can be, especially when the subject here is rape. can't condone the "kill yourself" comment, though
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-29-12 at 01:30 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast