Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default "Forcible Rape" I Have No Words..

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/21/us-usa-politics-abortion-idUSBRE87J04A20120821

As someone with close female friends who have been raped..this is beyond defense. I understand that people are pro and anti-choice but this would hopefully be over the line for most sane adults. I'm just disgusted. The good ole days! When men could be men and women could be property!

Hopefully he will step down.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    If Akin has to step down, so should Paul Ryan. They cosponsored an abortion bill. How is he so stupid as to think women can't get pregnant from rape??

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014199858

These awful old men must have actually committed rape in their past. No one could be this dumb or evil.

Ryan didn't say what Akin said.

In other news....
    DFL House Minority Leader Paul Thissen and DFL Party Chair Ken Martin have joined a growing chorus of politicos from both sides of the aisle calling on DFL Duluth Rep.Kerry Gauthier to either stop campaigning or resign from the Legislature altogether after he was investigated — but not charged — by the police for having oral sex with a 17-year-old boy at a public rest stop.
    http://politicsinminnesota.com/2012/...owing-scandal/
    Less than an hour later, state Democratic Party Chairman Ken Martin echoed Thissen's comments, although neither man asked Gauthier to leave office before his term ends in January.
    "His actions are inexcusable," Martin said. "No one in our party condones what he did, nor will we defend him in this matter."

Gauthier hasn't commented to reporters about the incident. A call to his cellphone rolled to voicemail Monday. Thissen's statement said he expects Gauthier to "address these issues publicly and soon."
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/m...7#.UDPTsKllToM

Well... at least he didn't talk about rape.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    These awful old men must have actually committed rape in their past. No one could be this dumb or evil.
    Akin is woefully misinformed and is an idiot for publicly speaking about such a sensitive subject without checking his facts, but calling him "evil" or suggesting that he is a rapist is just as idiotic and offensive as his comments. It is true that abortions that are performed due to rape are not very common [[Most studies show them to be less than 1% of all abortions performed in the U.S). If he wanted to express his pro life views he should have highlighted that fact instead of some pseudo science rumor that he had heard.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; August-21-12 at 03:40 PM.

Hang in Akin. Don't let them force you to dropout.

Well stated. My thoughts are similar on this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Akin is woefully misinformed and is an idiot for publicly speaking about such a sensitive subject without checking his facts, but calling him "evil" or suggesting that he is a rapist is just as idiotic and offensive as his comments. It is true that abortions that are performed due to rape are not very common [[Most studies show them to be less than 1% of all abortions performed in the U.S). If he wanted to express his pro life views he should have highlighted that fact instead of some pseudo science rumor that he had heard.

The faster the better. He's a 'sea anchor' bottoming any reasoned discussion or debate on the subject from the right. Just GO now!

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The faster the better. He's a 'sea anchor' bottoming any reasoned discussion or debate on the subject from the right. Just GO now!
    Too late, he missed the dropout deadline. YAY!

He can still drop out, but Republicans can't appoint someone to run in his place.

Some women believe that men should not weigh in or have 'any' opinion on the subject of abortion.

Akin proves that point emphatically!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-22-12 at 09:24 AM.

Whatever happened to Juanita Broaderick who went silent about her Bill Clinton rape allegations after Bill Clinton settled out of court with her for $850,000? One politician says something incredibly stupid and another settles out of court for rape. Akin effectively destroyed his campaign but Bill Clinton is a Democratic hero. Am I detecting a double standard?

Am I detecting another attempt at deflecting the attention from the idiocy of this particular GOP Congressman by bringing up something that happened over 10 yrs ago?
    Also, the out of court settlement of one particular woman doesn't really affect the attempt by the GOP to take possession of women's bodies and their ability to control their own lives.

Sure it's a double standard but Akin still has to go. Clinton got his pass, that was then and well this is now.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Whatever happened to Juanita Broaderick who went silent about her Bill Clinton rape allegations after Bill Clinton settled out of court with her for $850,000? One politician says something incredibly stupid and another settles out of court for rape. Akin effectively destroyed his campaign but Bill Clinton is a Democratic hero. Am I detecting a double standard?

jcole, You are detecting an observation about hypocrisy and double standards. Let's fast forward from Bill Clinton to four years ago when Senator Obama was promising to bring us all together. Instead, the Democratic Party and your last paragraph seem intent on using a metastasized version of inductive reasoning to link an idiotic statement which ruined Akin's senate run with "the attempt by the GOP to take possession of women's bodies and their ability to control their own lives." Because a Democratic State Legislator in MN had sexual relations with a minor a couple of weeks ago [[true story) or a woman accused President Clinton of rape ten years ago does not mean that Democrats, in general, are pedophiles and rapists. Yet, in the minds of Democrats and CNN producers, one Senate challenger's idiotic babbling means that the GOP is going "to take possession of women's bodies and their ability to control their own lives." This brings us back to the politics of division and fear mongering, not of bringing us together, at which Democrats excel.

Fast forward to the 2012 Democratic Convention at which Sandra Fluke and alleged rapist Bill Clinton will be speakers. Not having a Democratic Party perspective, it seems ironic to have the poster girl for government dependency, a real life Julia, on stage with an alleged rapist maybe talking about women's" ability to control their own lives.

Yet, in the minds of Democrats and CNN producers, one Senate challenger's idiotic babbling means that the GOP is going "to take possession of women's bodies and their ability to control their own lives."
    Woah, you think this situation is the only one that demonstrates this belief? Have you been paying attention?

You're right. The largest take over of women's reproductive rights is China were women are coerced and often forced to have abortions ala their strident one-child per family rules [[preferably boys) by their smart 'men' in power.

But that's not our business [[sic) and we best say nuthin' 'bout it considering how indebted we are to them.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Woah, you think this situation is the only one that demonstrates this belief? Have you been paying attention?
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-22-12 at 12:24 PM.

Neither party excels at bringing us together on much. Many are split down the middle where there should be more bi-partisan agreement on some issues or at least some reasoned conversation. Not happenin'...

Only by stepping out of the partisan box can these very sensitive issues be fully examined outside of their partisan coatings. So long as folks like Akin say stupid things as he did the debate will be distorted and extreme.

Yet, in the minds of Democrats and CNN producers, one Senate challenger's idiotic babbling means that the GOP is going "to take possession of women's bodies and their ability to control their own lives." This brings us back to the politics of division and fear mongering, not of bringing us together, at which Democrats excel.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-22-12 at 12:23 PM.

Neither party excels at bringing us together on much.
    Most people aren't really looking for a political party to bring us together. That's just a talking point that people use to attack the other party. It's fine to be divisive if it gets me my way, if unity is the route I need to take to get my way then I'll start singing about unity. Politics is so see through.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Nope, but it was the topic of this thread as opposed to everything else. Yes, I do pay attention to hypocrisy, irony, and double standards.

Well yes, I agree. But the 'parties' often tout that they are attempting it... usually for political motives.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Most people aren't really looking for a political party to bring us together. That's just a talking point that people use to attack the other party. It's fine to be divisive if it gets me my way, if unity is the route I need to take to get my way then I'll start singing about unity. Politics is so see through.

could it be possible he misspoke??

kinda stupid for sure, like whomever titled this thread

he said "legitimate rape", not forcible

seems you have mischaracterized his words.... perhaps like he did...

No, he did not misspeak. He clearly, along with other thugish repubs, thinks that if a woman is really raped, her body can stop the pregnancy. The only thing he apologized for was the use of the word "legitimate."

You're right. The largest take over of women's reproductive rights is China were women are coerced and often forced to have abortions ala their strident one-child per family rules [[preferably boys) by their smart 'men' in power.

But that's not our business [[sic) and we best say nuthin' 'bout it considering how indebted we are to them.
    Is the GOP in bed with China?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast