Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jack in the Box in Detroit area? Was one at 12 Mile/Orchard Lk near Olde Tyme Deli?

I'm wondering where any JITB were located? I seem to recall one being on Orchard Lake near 12 Mile back in the early 80s maybe [[?), I mean back when Olde Tyme Deli was there, or earlier. That place, I recall going there a lot when I was a kid, until my parents saw them recycling the sliced pickles served in those plastic wood bowls. The servers would dump them back in a big barrel! My mom said never again to the deli!

Went to a JITB in Lake Tahoe, got me thinking about them back here. According to their site, closest ones are in Indiana.

Thanks!

There was one at 13mile and Coolidge where the White Castle is now back in the 70s.

I can remember going to the one at Plymouth and Evergreen as a Cub Scout and taking a tour.

Utica and 13 Mile Rds in Fraser

Ryan and Eight Mile Rd in Detroit

Allen Rd/Goddard Rd in Southgate. Since JITB left many years ago there have been at least a dozen or more independents that have tried to make a go of that location. None lasted more that a year. And now a bbq joint just opened there. I wish them luck.

Mack Avenue 1 block south of Vernier on the west side of the street across from Parcells Middle School Grosse Pointe Woods. Now a closed bank building. Very good "bad" Tacos.

There was one on Mack and Chene.

North side of Michigan Avenue, just west of Outer Drive...in Dearborn. Don't know what the place is now, but remember they closed after some food poisoning debacle.

Back when AMC was still making cars.

JITB was the 1st Drive-thru fast food around Detroit, maybe nationally?
    There was indeed a JITB at 12 Mile Orchard Lake. East side of Orchard Lake, South of 12 Mile. Between the Mobil Gas Station and Steak and Ale. Closed years ago, maybe mid to late 70's. Sat empty for years, eventually demolished for more parking at the Steak and Ale and to expand the Gas Station.
    I don't know when it closed. But do recall going to that JITB when it was across the street from Biff's. The Biff's that became Old Time Deli, then Silverman's [[I owned that Silverman's franchise late 90's, the JITB bldg was gone by then)

As I recall, JITB had a bit of a scandal for allegedly serving kangaroo meat back in the 70s or 80s. They ended up closing a lot of stores. Still see them on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    As I recall, JITB had a bit of a scandal for allegedly serving kangaroo meat back in the 70s or 80s. They ended up closing a lot of stores. Still see them on occasion.
    I remember that as their reason for closing up in Michigan, also.

First drive-thru we went to ever was JITB at 10 Mile and Kelly.

8150 Telegraph Road, Taylor [[north of Wick Road, is now Thrifty Florist)
    25827 W. Warren, Dearborn Heights [[corner of Beech-Daly, now a liquor store)

It should be remembered that Orchestra Hall was to be torn down to build a Jack in the Box restaurant. Given the short stay JITB enjoyed in the area this would have been truly a tragedy. The steel ball came pretty close to the job before the hall was saved.

Used to frequent the JITB at 13 Mile & Utica Road in Roseville. They had a great breakfast sandwich..long before McDonald's did, I think.

The Breakfast Jack!

Who remembers the Red Barn?

I remember going to the JITB at 11 and Greenfield up until the mid 70s. I also remember going to the Red Barn at 10 and Woodward [[or at least right around there) during the same time frame. Good memories!

Following Sonic Drive-In, JITB may be returning to Michigan in the near feature. There are 4 restaurants that have recently opened in and around Indianpolis. They are also opening their first location in Ohio next month.

Quote Originally Posted by sarge View Post
    I remember going to the JITB at 11 and Greenfield up until the mid 70s. I also remember going to the Red Barn at 10 and Woodward [[or at least right around there) during the same time frame. Good memories!
    We went to the Red Barn at 10 and Woodward all the time when I was a kid. Actually we begged to got there! lol There was one at 12 and Dequindre also, the building is still there as a cell phone store.

There was a JITB at 14 and John R too, it's also a cell phone store or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    The Breakfast Jack!
    You remember too! Soft hamburger bun, no english muffin or biscuit. Used to stop at least once a week!

I havent thought of the Red Barn in a long time.
    Then there was Burger Chef, barf

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I do. I think the Shish Kebab place at Nine-mile and Harper in SCS used to be e Red Barn, it looks like one.

As for Red Barn, there was one on Jefferson near St. Jean.

It was torn down a few years ago and is now a Legends Diner.

There was a Jack-in-the-Box at Mack and Van Dyke too.

The speaker for the drive-thru at JITB was in a clown head [[which instead of saying "Welcome to Jack-in-the-Box, may I help you?" as it did on the TV ads, said "What you want?" in true Detroit fashion). Drive-thrus were a very novel new thing then, and my friends and I were all brand new drivers who actually knew a couple of kids with their very own old rust-bucket cars. It became a sort of ritual of passage for us to go goof on the clown at the Mack-Van Dyke JITB and make up the stupidest orders we could think of to see if they would fill them [["I'd like 5 buns and a raw onion, please"). Of course, some fun '70s era substances were often involved.

They were always out of everything anyway, so after making a long, involved, stupid order, you would very often get an answer like "all we have is tacos and vanilla shakes." Alas, the place soon closed, burned, and was replaced with a gas station.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Red Barn was a personal favorite when I was a teenager. They were all over the east side. They used to give away coupons for discount burgers with the tickets back when the Pistons played at Cobo, and threw in free french fries if the Pistons scored 110 points [[the scoreboard would flash "Free Fries" over and over again as the score neared, and passed, the magic number - it usually got the loudest cheer of the night). I went to a lot of Piston games back then on their $1.75 half price student tickets, and even worked at Cobo for a while, so I ended up eating a lot of Red Barn.

The Red Barn on Woodward and Temple was a big hangout for some of us Cass students for a while. It was the closest fast food joint to Cass, other than the execrable White Castle at Woodward and Sproat [[which had no seats). We would hang around in there until it got late or they'd throw us out, and then go take the Woodward bus in our various directions home.

For entertainment, there were always some interesting characters around there - like the transvestite who would obsessively change clothes [[taken from a big plastic garbage bag) in the dining room while talking to him/herself as if she was announcing a fashion show.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast