Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default African World Festival location change - no longer at Hart Plaza!

This year the African World Festival - CELEBRATING 30 Years - will be held Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History. NO LONGER AT Hart Plaza!

http://thewright.org/african-world-festival

African World Festival location change

http://blogs.metrotimes.com/index.ph...cation-change/
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-18-12 at 10:43 AM.

That's probably a good thing. Might eliminate the "Riff-Raff" that goes on at Hart Plaza.

Not sure if you are 'joking', but over the years the AWF has been one of the popular and largest festivals at Hart Plaza. With over the 29 years at HP the AWF did not have the history of extreme drunkenness or crime and showcased many headliners including Isaac Hayes, Hugh Masekala, Third World, and other local musicians.

I've always enjoyed this festival which provided events and themes for the whole family. I never had any problems... except over-spending.

My main complaint has been the increase of junk vendors selling the crappy sunglasses and junk you could find at any carnival, and the lack of musical headliners and events as time went on. I recall back in the day there was always an exhibit, and mini concerts in the lower levels of the plaza, even plays.

The AWF at HP usually had at least two book vendors and a health and wellness set up.

I've always enjoyed the vendors local and from out of state selling unique art and clothing. I wonder what's going on at Hart Plaza today to replace the AWF which had been there for 29 years?
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-18-12 at 12:25 PM.

I find it perplexing why so many of summertime outdoor events on the riverfront have been moved to parking lots or inside.

Granted, I think the Wright Museum has excellent venues for concerts, and is itself a great museum, but I feel as though the riverfront in this city, as per usual, is being shortchanged and taken for granted.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; August-18-12 at 09:50 PM.

All I can say is thank god. It will help the museum and it will help with the traffic downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    It will help the museum
    The museum is in trouble? Quick! Let's pass a tri-county millage and make everyone pay for it!

superduperman Guest

Default Had a Blast

I just came in from the festival, at first I didn't know what to expect because it wasn't at the riverfront but I gotta say I had a wonderful time. The food, the performances and the people were great. Kem is supposed to perform there tomorrow and I'm thinking of swinging by there again. Oh, and its free.

I was at the festival well into the evening. It was really nice to have the festival at the museum, but the Hart Plaza river front setting will be missed. I talked to several vendors who told me they got the venue change news late, which suggests their may have been an attempt for the event at HP.

There'd been a struggle back and forth between the city and the museum regarding HP for years. It was nice to have to festival at its place of sponsorship, the Charles H. Wright Museum, one could say. But parking was horrendous! WSU benefited by having thier lots open which have the WSU One Card or $5.00 bank card option. The CCS lot was available for free thankfully if you worked or a student there with ID.

In between the concerts on the stage there were announcements of towing and ticketing, which seemed to be going in a timed rotation, particularly the towing. No surprise there. What was really nice was the participation of the neighbors who otherwise may have not gone to the festival.

The festival events are free. To enter the galleries and exhibits you have to pay a reduced fee of $8.00 for individuals and groups I think. I saw yellow arm bands and hear that was the pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I find it perplexing why so many of summertime outdoor events on the riverfront have been moved to parking lots or inside.

Granted, I think the Wright Museum has excellent venues for concerts, and is itself a great museum, but I feel as though the riverfront in this city, as per usual, is being shortchanged and taken for granted.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-19-12 at 08:35 AM.

Traffic around the cultural center was a bit rough... especially by Warren and Woodward. The WSU lots were open so that helped, and unlike the dirt lots that spring up out of no where downtown with their $20+ instant rates, the WSU lots all have a flat bank card swipe rate of $5 dollars.

Arrive early to park where you can legally. Meter folks were out - tow trucks too.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    All I can say is thank god. It will help the museum and it will help with the traffic downtown.

From the point of view of uniting in with the wder community I think it was a step in the wrong direction to move the AA Festival to the CHWMoAAH. I've been to several of them in Hart Plaza and would like to go again if it ever returns there. I'll still go to some of the others so long as they continue to
    present their culture to me in a multicultural "public" environment. I don't want it "shoved" at me.
    Last edited by coracle; August-19-12 at 01:02 PM.

^^^^ Well it is a traffic and parking mess of sorts. Had I not parked in the CCS lot from working there part-time and having an ID I would have gone home, after circling the local many times to park. Also there are less vendors too and well the food, uh, the usual carnival fair, less choices, with a bit of few things decent to eat. Tickets for that as usual. But that was the scene at HP too.

I for one miss the river front local, I always walked to the water to catch a look across to Canada and here the music in the background. I missed that.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-19-12 at 12:43 PM.

The City moved all the events from Hart Plaza due to budget issues. Can no longer supply traffic and security forces, maintenance of the Plaza, clean- up, etc. Even if fees increased, no manpower.

^^^^ They did not move the Ribs and Soul festival. It was there last weekend.

^^
    Damn, I forgot about that one, was over at Gannon's, too.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Was anyone there?

superduperman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    It cost $3 to get in.

It seems like nothing's at Hart Plaza anymore. They still got a fountain down there or has that been moved too? Oh, well, I'll always have my memories of watching Femi Kuti's set from up in my favorite stage-side tree down there.

The city has started charging big money for organizations wishing to hold events at Hart Plaza, or cancelled them altogether on very short notice early this summer. This has forced organizations to move their scheduled events at nearly the last minute, and/or forced them to charge admission for formerly free events.

This may save some budget cash, but it is extremely short-sighted IMO. Since these are the very events that draw people into the city, and help support local tax-paying businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The city has started charging big money for organizations wishing to hold events at Hart Plaza, or cancelled them altogether on very short notice early this summer. This has forced organizations to move their scheduled events at nearly the last minute, and/or forced them to charge admission for formerly free events.

This may save some budget cash, but it is extremely short-sighted IMO. Since these are the very events that draw people into the city, and help support local tax-paying businesses.
    The security for Hart Plaza events is very costly and with a lack of police in the city the costs have gone up.
    However we need these events at Hart Plaza, that is what the Plaza is for. And honestly I have always felt safer for the African Festival then events like the Hoedown.
    There have been rumors for a couple of years of a change to Hart Plaza, maybe this is coming sooner then later.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    From the point of view of uniting in with the wder community I think it was a step in the wrong direction to move the AA Festival to the CHWMoAAH. I've been to several of them in Hart Plaza and would like to go again if it ever returns there. I'll still go to some of the others so long as they continue to
    present their culture to me in a multicultural "public" environment. I don't want it "shoved" at me.
    How does someone "shove" culture? What is a multicultural "public" environment?

...I read in the free press article that there was an issue with the kitchen booths all being shut down in Hart Plaza.. I wonder are they to be renovated or removed entirely?

Nice photos. Thanks. There some from previous AWF event years on that site as well. I was there Sat and Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post