Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Did the DIA tax pass, and WJS piece supporting it...

I was back in town when the tri-county DIA tax was being debated. After returning to Washington state, where I know reside, I spotted this Wall Street Journal article that gave surprising support to the DIA tax. As a libertarian, I typically oppose such taxes being spread populace-wide and favor user fees and donations, instead.

Even though I moved out of Detroit after being born there and residing in the city for nearly a half century, I remained a member of the DIA in recent years. Though still torn over a property tax to support the DIA, I probably would have voted for it had I still been living in Detroit. The below WSJ piece swayed me in favor of the tax...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...here%27s+a+way

I see that the tax measure passed. But what was the county-by-county for and against count? If folks in Macomb County voted for it, I'd be surprised.

Quick and to the point... Wayne County passed it, Oakland County passed it, although the outlying burbs were against it. Macomb County passed it by a meager 51%... everything north of M-59 and Warren were against it... everything south of M-59 it just squeaked by. The heavy pro votes in Macomb County were in St. Clair Shores and Eastpointe... without their larger plus votes it would have failed.

So when St. Clair Shores and Eastpointe voters go to the DIA... they get the "imported" cheese with their light refreshments....

My family members out around Hall Road have Lakeside Mall to go to rather than the DIA, so it seems. Visiting Royal Oak or Birmingham are rather exotic affairs for them, from what I gather.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    ........If folks in Macomb County voted for it, I'd be surprised.
    My family members out around Hall Road have Lakeside Mall to go to rather than the DIA, so it seems. Visiting Royal Oak or Birmingham are rather exotic affairs for them, from what I gather.
    The voters in Macomb passed the tax increase, yet instead of simply acknowledging it as a positive sign and moving on, the Macomb-bashing continues. Perhaps you could do us another favor and instead of dumping on your allegedly small-minded relatives, you can work on convincing them to follow your lead and also move 1,800 miles away.

The same people bashing the Macomb County folks are the one's that are so pro working man and pro union. phoneys

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Martha Stewart Collection vs. Diego Rivera Collection

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    The same people bashing the Macomb County folks are the one's that are so pro working man and pro union. phoneys
    I'm not sure if this is sarcasm.

Aside from the fact that the county is very blue collar, there's absolutely nothing liberal about it.

Funny! ---- ! Sometimes my tastes run in both directions!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Lol, nice!

Default Macomb County surprise...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    The voters in Macomb passed the tax increase, yet instead of simply acknowledging it as a positive sign and moving on, the Macomb-bashing continues. Perhaps you could do us another favor and instead of dumping on your allegedly small-minded relatives, you can work on convincing them to follow your lead and also move 1,800 miles away.
    My comment about Macomb County residents voting in favor of the tax is no more bashing of that area than my occasional comment about Detroiters seeming to have an aversion to getting involved in small business ownership and at all small business owners in Detroit that live outside the city.

When I was at the Italian festival in downtown Mt. Clemens last month, I remark to several county residents that were with me that it was too bad that the county didn't have a town with a real downtown for folks to gather in for commerce and culture. Warren certainly has the population size to fill a downtown seen but unfortunately the leaders of Warren going back to the '60s never bothered to lay one out for folks to come to.