Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Belle Isle Aquarium Re-opening on August 18th

http://www.belleisleconservancy.org/...um_Opening.pdf

It's going to be completely volunteer run and will only be open from 10-3 on the first Sunday of the month and 2nd and 3rd Saturdays of the month, but hey. IT'S OPEN! No admission fee. I look forward to seeing it open on a more regular basis if/when [[hopefully, when) the state takes over management of Belle Isle.

Fantastic News!

It is! I plan on going next month.

YAY! I haven't been the Belle Isle Aquarium in 17 years.

lame practical question: do the fish stay in the tanks the entire time or do they take them out while the doors are locked?

I'm not certain but I believe that they will not move the fish. Incredibly fish are pretty sensitive to changes in water temp and Ph. Changes can cause stress, shock, & death. I was saddened to hear of the closing. I had visited the aquarium many times in my youth. Glad that it is re-opening.

Will they restock all the tanks?

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Will they restock all the tanks?
    Yes, they are restocked with fish caught in the Detroit River. Nothing but Carp and Walleye!

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    http://www.belleisleconservancy.org/...um_Opening.pdf

It's going to be completely volunteer run and will only be open from 10-3 on the first Sunday of the month and 2nd and 3rd Saturdays of the month, but hey. IT'S OPEN! No admission fee. I look forward to seeing it open on a more regular basis if/when [[hopefully, when) the state takes over management of Belle Isle.
    Did not know it was shut down again. I took some people who where here from Sweden from work in the spring time to the Belle Isle Aquarium. They loved it and we found NEMO.

Default Belle Isle Aquarium reopens

The aquarium was to reopen yesterday. Did anyone attend and if so, how did it go? Was there a large crowd in attendance?

reopen as in FOR GOOD reopen? or just another here and there opening?

will DEFINITELY be making a trip down if its open for any length of time/regular hours...

Funny how I didn't go there for so many years, but now I'm going to take pains to make it there during their extremely limited hours. You never know what you got..

Here's the press release from the Belle Isle Conservancy. Looks like it will be open regularly 3 days per month. http://www.belleisleconservancy.org/...um_Opening.pdf

I took my fiance to the Aquarium on the Saturday after Christmas. She had never been [[a native of New England), and I hadn't been in about 10 years....when I was probably 17 or 18. We got there a few minutes after they opened at 10:00 and I expected the place to be mostly dead. I was most pleasantly surprised! We followed what looked like a group or high school or college kids in, and the visitors just kept on coming behind us. Lots of families. It was awesome! Busier than I remember it as a kid. And I like how they incorporated several exhibits in about Aquarium and Belle Isle history amongst those tanks which currently do not have aquatic occupants. I was impressed and wished I had more than $10 on me to drop in their donation box.