Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "They're going to put y'all back in chains."...

Obama Defends Joe Biden On 'Chains' Remark

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1785448.html

In Iowa for a bus tour, Obama said the reaction to Biden's remarks was a function of politics, but he did not blame his vice president.

"The truth is that during the course of these campaigns, folks like to get obsessed with how something was phrased even if everybody personally understands that's not how it was meant," Obama told the magazine. "That's sort of the nature of modern campaigns and modern coverage of campaigns. But I tell you, when I'm traveling around Iowa, that's not what's on people's minds."
    'Put y'all back in chains'? More Biden being Biden

The Obama campaign wins some with Biden's spontaneity, and it loses some

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opi...,1692517.story

From article:

It all started when Mr. Biden, addressing a predominantly African American crowd, quoted Mr. Romney as saying in his first 100 days as president that "he's going to let the big banks once again write their own rules -- unchain Wall Street." Then the vice president added with a grin: "They're going to put y'all back in chains!"
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-17-12 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Obama Defends Joe Biden On 'Chains' Remark

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1785448.html

In Iowa for a bus tour, Obama said the reaction to Biden's remarks was a function of politics, but he did not blame his vice president.

"The truth is that during the course of these campaigns, folks like to get obsessed with how something was phrased even if everybody personally understands that's not how it was meant," Obama told the magazine. "That's sort of the nature of modern campaigns and modern coverage of campaigns. But I tell you, when I'm traveling around Iowa, that's not what's on people's minds."
    'Put y'all back in chains'? More Biden being Biden

The Obama campaign wins some with Biden's spontaneity, and it loses some

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opi...,1692517.story

From article:

It all started when Mr. Biden, addressing a predominantly African American crowd, quoted Mr. Romney as saying in his first 100 days as president that "he's going to let the big banks once again write their own rules -- unchain Wall Street." Then the vice president added with a grin: "They're going to put y'all back in chains!"
    Actually i agree with the spirit of it considering that even as of now the African American community is all but excluded to participating in the economic system aside from being consumers...

The republicans want nothing more than to create a corporate feudal state, which would , essentially, put us all in chains and allow corporations to dictate the terms of our lives.

^^^ I think the broader fact is that 'bankers' are going to put us in chains!----

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ I think the broader fact is that 'bankers' are going to put us in chains!----

I think I will write a song called "Put the Bankers on a Chain Gang"

Remember the uproar and subsequent defense of conservatives using gun & crosshair references to their political opponents around the time of the Gabby Giffords shooting? Which hyperbolic statements are okay and which are not?

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Which hyperbolic statements are okay and which are not?
    Hyperbolic statements that advance my agenda are okay. Ones that don't, are not okay. There, I simplified it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Actually i agree with the spirit of it considering that even as of now the African American community is all but excluded to participating in the economic system aside from being consumers...
    And that is the elephant in the room no one wants to talk about.

I thought the same thing when I read the quote. How far off base is he, really? All this feigned outrage. Yet from the Romney camp [[or should I say Paul Ryan's campaign, since he has already overshadowed the Romneybot) all we hear is "put the country back on track" and other bizarre platitudes.

There is certainly room for change but I don't see how giving even more money, power, and leeway to multinational corporations [[many of which pay no US taxes) and the banking industry could possibly help this country.