Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Books on Jerome [[Jerry) Cavanagh?

Has anyone seen a book on Detroit Mayor Jerry Cavanagh?
    I've looked all over and not seen a one. I'm curious why that is?

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Has anyone seen a book on Detroit Mayor Jerry Cavanagh?
    I've looked all over and not seen a one. I'm curious why that is?
    If you read these Net articles, you might see why:

Intro: http://www.retrokimmer.com/2009/10/d...1962-1970.html

More detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Cavanagh

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    If you read these Net articles, you might see why:

Intro: http://www.retrokimmer.com/2009/10/d...1962-1970.html

More detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Cavanagh
    None of that really tells us why he doesn't have a book written about him. I'm also surprised there isn't a biography about him and his life/mayoral term.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    None of that really tells us why he doesn't have a book written about him. I'm also surprised there isn't a biography about him and his life/mayoral term.

There are some books, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Violence-Model...erome+Cavanagh

This discusses his Administration in terms of the 67 riots, but you're right, there has yet to be a single book about Cavanagh's life and his entire two terms in office, the good and the bad.

I'm seriously considering doing my PhD work on Cavanagh, which I'd hope to turn into a book some day, but we'll see. You might have to wait 7 years.

The Miriani and Cavanagh administration's was the start of Detroit's decline. That's probably why there's no book about him.

Did Jerry Cavanagh ever have an affair with TV weather gal Marilyn Turner or am confusing him with her? I recall he was said to have had an affair, but, heck, that was the '60s when I just hit my 20s. Jerry ran for US Senate in the '70s and failed and died soon after in his 40s, right?

So far as I know, no one has written a book about Jerry Cavanagh. There is a fair amount about him and his administration in Sydney Fine's book about the 1967 violence in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    The cited articles don't tell me much about why no book. I was a little one during his term -- and remember his campaign jingle to this day [[to the tune of McNamara's Bank, oddly enough).

I would think that the realization that his progressive policies failed sorely and ended up in flames must have been shocking to him.

So Detroit was a model of racial progress before '67. That wasn't in my consciousness. I'd think there's quite a book there, given how race relations here have turned.

Maybe his brother might write one when he retires from the Supreme Court bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    The cited articles don't tell me much about why no book. [...]
    I was being sarcastic... hoping people would pick up on the general direction of his life. Jerry Cavanaugh started his career as Mayor full of energy and promise - a truly inspiring young man. We all had great hopes for him! He ended his life allegedly tainted by corruption and, as some would say, a failure. In between those bookends, he seems to have rode Detroit down.

I would think that the realization that his progressive policies failed sorely and ended up in flames must have been shocking to him.
    Thank you, that is a much nicer observation than I could produce. Your summary is accurate - but who would want to read such a depressing story?

"In between those bookends, he seems to have rode Detroit down".

And everyone wants to blame CAY for it's demise. It started way before him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The Miriani and Cavanagh administration's was the start of Detroit's decline. That's probably why there's no book about him.
    Don't forget Cobo!

Never knew he separated from his wife the same month as the riot. Talk about the worst month of your life...

There was a very nasty, public divorce thrown in. Eight kids included with the boys hanging with pops.