Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stolen: Van with 25K of tools used to fix blighted Detroit homes

Aug. 7, the cousins say they parked their van outside Handyman headquarters on the 15000 block of Mack Avenue around 6 a.m. and went for breakfast. When they came back, the van and all the tools inside were gone. "We came back and the van was gone," said Lucassian.

Five days later, the van was found less two miles away, completely stripped. "You guys stuck a dagger in our heart," says Gokenbach to the thieves. "And not just us and what we do, but this whole community. Your neighbors, your grandmothers, you did it to everybody."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...t-homes-stolen

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Aug. 7, the cousins say they parked their van outside Handyman headquarters on the 15000 block of Mack Avenue around 6 a.m. and went for breakfast. When they came back, the van and all the tools inside were gone. "We came back and the van was gone," said Lucassian.

Five days later, the van was found less two miles away, completely stripped. "You guys stuck a dagger in our heart," says Gokenbach to the thieves. "And not just us and what we do, but this whole community. Your neighbors, your grandmothers, you did it to everybody."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...t-homes-stolen

I'm wondering where they went to breakfast.

Their van got stolen less than a mile from where I live, it is odd the usual stake-out speed trap from GPP wasn't across the street...but now that the Hard Luck isn't around to provide free wifi the cops don't seem to spend as much time parked on Big Bobb's block on Mack. Go figure.

I used to think it was relatively safe after five in the morning...surely it is quieter...but this is heartless. Then again, it seems as if the victims seem to think the perps should've known who they were stealing from.

This is one instance where they should make a honeypot out of this very truck...perps seem to hit the same thing after giving insurance companies a short time to replace the goods.

Ugh.

The thieves knew exactly what they were stealing. They knew the van's comings and goings probably down to the minute. A good friend had his van with tools he would never be able to replace stolen from a school building site in the city. The day it was stolen he able to track where the van was as the thieves were trying to fence the tools and the shop owners were using his phone number on the van to call him. After repeated phone calls to the DPD with the vans current location he was told they were to busy to bother with "his" problems! All the thieves in the city know this and have no fear they will ever be caught.

Yep, just ugly. You can hardly ever let your guard down. Really never. I know of several technicians and mechanics that have had their equipment stolen.

I'm sure I'll be accused of blaming the victim, but what were they thinking leaving that amount of valuables in an unattended work van in that area?

They left their vehicle unattended, just as those at the Packard Plant.

It really doesn’t matter if the victims were eating breakfast or taking pictures.

Does it?

Just as the victims at the Packard Plant, presented an opportunity for the thieves to exploit, so did the guys with the van.

The solution is to not leave your vehicle unattended in Detroit, no mater what your reason is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smiles View Post

It really doesn’t matter if the victims were eating breakfast or taking pictures.

Does it?

Just as the victims at the Packard Plant, presented an opportunity for the thieves to exploit, so did the guys with the van.

The solution is to not leave your vehicle unattended in Detroit, no mater what your reason is.
    That's hard to do sometimes.

25K worth of tools? Were they gold plated?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    25K worth of tools? Were they gold plated?
    When you make your living with tools you do not shop
    at harbor freight,a good skill saw is a good $250.

It may be different there but even with commercial insurance
    they insure the vehicle but not the tools that is why it hurts
    when they get stole.

They left the vehicle in front of their business 'Handyman Ministries'..... solution to that? Throw up their hands and get out of the city ---- ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    I'm sure I'll be accused of blaming the victim, but what were they thinking leaving that amount of valuables in an unattended work van in that area?

Visitor at Packard plant left car at scene of an abandoned building. These guys left their in front of their own business.... umm, there IS a difference!

I better go sleep in my car tonight lest I leave it in my driveway 'unattended'. Would not want to chance that these days!

Last edited by Zacha341; August-16-12 at 10:16 PM.

They left the vehicle in front of their business 'Handyman Ministries'..... solution to that? Throw up their hands and get out of the city ---- ?
    Still not a good idea to leave that amount of tools in a van unattended in the city. That's not a good idea. As stated above, that van was probably scoped out for some time before the deed was done.

I'll concede that. In the city it's probably a good idea to take out the most expensive items and store them, bringing them out to put in the truck only when needed perhaps. Or get a better locking and security system for truck, for the doors. And hope the brazen thieves don't just PUSH your vehicle away! You best be double-vigilant or your personal items are taken readily.

And yes these guys were probably scoped as 'marks' for a good stealing a bit before the thieves struck. They had little to worry about regarding anything stopping them.

Still not a good idea to leave that amount of tools in a van unattended in the city. That's not a good idea. As stated above, that van was probably scoped out for some time before the deed was done.

The lack of moral compass in this city, and even on this forum, truly disgusts me.

Why would there even be a shred of reason to blame the 2 men who lost their van and tools?

Time and time again, forum folks harp on people to get off the couch and do positive things for the city. When I talked about Dan Gilbert making a huge difference in a previous thread, many chimed in about the smaller players, those who are working hard on their own to bring about improvements in Detroit. Well, here you have 2 men actively helping, and guess what they end up with .....

Here's the bottom line, Detroiters, as long as the quantity of bad&stupid people is still more than the quantity of good&smart people ..... positive change will be difficult. It is really a numbers game; bad people harms others directly, while stupid people harms others indirectly by electing bad&stupid people to be leaders.

There you have it, forumers ..... want to fight the good fight? Well, tilt the scale, change the stats, and make the odds favorable.

<stepping off the soapbox>

I'll concede that. In the city it's probably a good idea to take out the most expensive items and store them, bringing them out to put in the truck only when needed perhaps. Or get a better locking and security system for truck, for the doors. And hope the brazen thieves don't just PUSH your vehicle away! You best be double-vigilant or your personal items are taken readily.

And yes these guys were probably scoped as 'marks' for a good stealing a bit before the thieves struck. They had little to worry about regarding anything stopping them.

Does it?

Packard Plant victims parked illegally on private property while tresspassing. These guys were on a major street in front of thier business - clearly a different scenario.

If the 'solution' is to not leave your vehicle unattended in Detroit regarless of reason, that means no more businesses or industry in the city, unless they have a garage or razor-wire protected fencing for employees AND customers.

I guess I'll invest in some stock for drive-through restaurants, car washes, and banks... that's about all you'd be able to do.

Agreed. The blame is with the criminal[[s) who seize every opportunity increasingly to take the unearned - someones private property, no matter who it hurts! They don't care what the business or organizations interest is, or how it hurts commerce in general in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by darwinism View Post
    Why would there even be a shred of reason to blame the 2 men who lost their van and tools?
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-17-12 at 09:39 PM.

And then you get shot and they get the truck anyways.

The lack of moral compass in this city, and even on this forum, truly disgusts me.

So we have no moral compass if we question why they would leave expensive equipment unattended in their van in a bad neighborhood? If you say so.

It's not smart to leave that kind of stuff anywhere unattended, much less in poorer high crime neighborhood. I didn't know we weren't allowed to criticize lack of common sense. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    Packard Plant victims parked illegally on private property while tresspassing. These guys were on a major street in front of thier business - clearly a different scenario.
    Sure their reasons for being in the city were different. Regardless of their reason, someone else made a moral decision to violate the property of others.

This board lit up with people blaming the victims at the Packard Plant, leaving the actual thieves blameless. The message being if you are dumb enough to leave your stuff where thieves are, you deserve what you get.

If the standard is, you deserve what you get, if you leave your property in front of thieves, don't complain if you get your stuff stolen.

The reason you leave your property unattended really doesn't mater, I take your saying the reason does matter as puzzling.

First and foremost, Bad Brains, your comment below isn't cute by any measure.

You have more than 1 apology to make, because 2 men who have a work van and a set of tools to fix stuff, do not fall into your category of "lacking common sense". Not by a long shot.

They do not have high-end stereo equipment in the van, they do not have jewelry in the van, they have f'king saws, drills, power tools, brackets, lumber, metal rods, you know ..... things that you absolutely need in order to repair plumbing, electrical, broken doors and etc. ? Would you have any clue what these jobs require, Bad Brains ? Probably not, you probably have no idea what is necessary.

Tell you what ..... why don't you blame this family for "lacking common sense" as well;

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...-father-of-six

Fellow DYes' friends, we need to stop this BS ! Seriously ..... this city has a chance to come back, but 'stupid' people continue to prevail by justifying the actions of the 'bad' folks.

Mark my words - Here's the bottom line, the day we can all unite unanimously against the bad&stupid camp, will be the day Detroit is a safer and better city.

So we have no moral compass if we question why they would leave expensive equipment unattended in their van in a bad neighborhood? If you say so.

It's not smart to leave that kind of stuff anywhere unattended, much less in poorer high crime neighborhood. I didn't know we weren't allowed to criticize lack of common sense. My apologies.

There is some discussion of people getting harmed by trying to do work in Detroit in this story of a Jet's Pizza stopping night time deliveries in Detroit after a shooting.....

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...r-driver-shot/

First and foremost, Bad Brains, your comment below isn't cute by any measure.

You have more than 1 apology to make, because 2 men who have a work van and a set of tools to fix stuff, do not fall into your category of "lacking common sense". Not by a long shot.

They do not have high-end stereo equipment in the van, they do not have jewelry in the van, they have f'king saws, drills, power tools, brackets, lumber, metal rods, you know ..... things that you absolutely need in order to repair plumbing, electrical, broken doors and etc. ? Would you have any clue what these jobs require, Bad Brains ? Probably not, you probably have no idea what is necessary.

Tell you what ..... why don't you blame this family for "lacking common sense" as well;

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...-father-of-six

Fellow DYes' friends, we need to stop this BS ! Seriously ..... this city has a chance to come back, but 'stupid' people continue to prevail by justifying the actions of the 'bad' folks.

Mark my words - Here's the bottom line, the day we can all unite unanimously against the bad&stupid camp, will be the day Detroit is a safer and better city.
    I have no idea what you are talking about, you're all over the place. Relax and take a deep breath.

That's why my motto when living in Detroit was...
    The Second Amendment: Don't leave home without it.

The city is crawling with nihilist, "lumpen proletarians" as I call them. They only respond to one thing: armed force.

I am as relaxed and soothing as can be, buddy. My breathing is also as perfectly paced as biologically possible. Don't need to take any deep breaths or relax any further.

I am not all over the place, nor will you have any idea what I or anyone related to the cause are talking about. Certainly not anybody from Handymen Ministry and Detroit 300 - Nope, you will never understand in a million lifetimes. Your moniker is telling enough.

Have a meaningful weekend, Bad Brains.

I have no idea what you are talking about, you're all over the place. Relax and take a deep breath.

Hah. Haven't heard that phrase used in a while. A friend often used the shortened version: The LUMP!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    The city is crawling with nihilist, "lumpen proletarians" as I call them. They only respond to one thing: armed force.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-18-12 at 10:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast