Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 200th anniversary of British capture of Detroit

Tomorrow, Aug. 16, is the bicentennial anniversary of the British capture of Detroit in the War if 1812. I understand there are going to be some re-enactors at Fort Wayne this weekend, but, other than that, I don't know of any festivities. That said, I thought everybody here would appreciate a little heads-up. Today, 200 years ago, the British and Detroiters were exchanging cannon fire until nightfall. Tomorrow, the end came with the surrender of Brigadier General Hull.

Hey, Detroit today isn't all glitter and soap bubbles. But what a lot of history we have, huh?

Thank you very much for reminding us. The War of 1812 was very
    important for this area's development. I am sorry that it gets so
    little attention.

Default Detroit Surrenders!

Two hundred years ago an army of British, Canadians and Native Americans crossed the Straits of Detroit and forced [or fooled] an American Army of 2000 to surrender Detroit on August 16, 1812.

The War of 1812 was not two months old, Mackinac had been captured and an abortive American invasion of Canada in Windsor had failed miserably. Detroit found itself under artillery attack from Windsor and the Straits. Then Detroit fell and would be enemy occupied for almost a year.

Doesn't make thing seen so bad nowadays, does it?

We hope for better things; it will rise from the ashes.

Most of my relatives are Canadian. I've had plenty of memorable vacations in Canada. I generally like Canada and Canadians. That said, I am wondering about the Canadian reaction to losing to US Women in the Olympics. The Canadian coach had been saying unkind things about US players prior to the game. When Canada lost, he blamed the ref and said more negative things about the US women, but did not address the brutality employed by Canadian player Melissa Tancredi on the field. The coach, a couple of team members, and the Canadian press berated the ref for calls which would never have happened had Tancredi been red carded. It was like there was a media blackout on CBC regarding this incident. Worse, if Canadians were allowed to see this incident after the game, why did they choose to ignore it? Why has Tancredi not been punished by her coach?

I'd like to note that my ancestor George Buchendahl was a member of Button's troop of cavalry and served under General Brock at the capture of Fort Detroit on August 16, 1812. I'm glad he didn't have to fire a shot.

To think, had the later parts of the war gone differently, we'd spell some words with an extra "u," our road signs would have crowns on them instead of shields and diamonds, we'd have multicoloured [[see what I did there?) money with Queen Elizabeth II on the $20, and we'd have Tim Hortons. Oh wait, we already have that last thing

But seriously, I think the War of 1812 is too-often forgotten. I mean, it's the war that put the United States on the map as a legitimate country that could stand against the biggest empire on the planet, it spawned our current national anthem, and it's the only war with a foreign power fought on American soil [[the Spanish-American war came close, but didn't reach American territories).

I like to point out to people how historical Detroit is. We've had three nations flags flown over our fine city.[[France, Britain, and The U.S.) How many other cities can say three different countries wanted them!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I like to point out to people how historical Detroit is. We've had three nations flags flown over our fine city.[[France, Britain, and The U.S.)
    Just to be fair, it has history before 1701 too, although under various native names.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Just to be fair, it has history before 1701 too, although under various native names.
    True, but I was talking about the flags only.

Too bad native Americans didn't have flags ...

... or an immigration bureau for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by xequar View Post
    But seriously, I think the War of 1812 is too-often forgotten. I mean, it's the war that put the United States on the map as a legitimate country that could stand against the biggest empire on the planet, it spawned our current national anthem, and it's the only war with a foreign power fought on American soil [[the Spanish-American war came close, but didn't reach American territories).
    The war was far more significant for Canada and their nationalism for, in the end, they held off the Americans and the war ended the American efforts to take over Canada as was attempted in that war and in the Revolutionary War.

The consensus big losers were the native Americans on both sides.

Other than a bunch of vigilante-like drunks from Detroit trying a farcical invasion during the Canadian's Patriot War in 1838 we have enjoyed peace ever since. Now the only drunks invading Windsor are 19 year-olds heading to Windsor's kiddie bars.

What a blessing of peace we enjoy when one remembers Sarajevo, Berlin and other hostilely divided cities.

Wawayatoning it was called by the Anishinabek. The name describes how the water route goes around the area.

It was a major gathering spot, as you can tell if you think of all the trails leading to it, Grand River all the way from Lake Michigan is the most famous. Michigan, also all the way to Lake Michigan, was another trail. There is the Saginaw Trail also, and of course the near area trails like Pontiac Trail, Franklin, Shiawassee and many more.

Thank you for the superior scholarship, gazhekwe! It was likely a thriving crossroads for much longer than a mere 300-odd years.

Tomorrow, Aug. 16, is the bicentennial anniversary of the British capture of Detroit in the War if 1812. I understand there are going to be some re-enactors at Fort Wayne this weekend, but, other than that, I don't know of any festivities.
    Here you go:

SAVE the DATE! 7 p.m., Saturday, August 18th, FREE PREMIERE: “Michigan At War: The Struggle for the Old Northwest, 1812-1815,” a 30-minute documentary produced by Metrocom International, Christopher Cook, Writer Producer, Ann Arbor, for the Michigan Commission on the Commemoration of the Bicentennial of the War of 1812. The free public screening will be in the Anderson Theater, Henry Ford Museum, 20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn. Registration required: Registration required: To register, please visit http://tinyurl.com/1812Premiere You only need to submit your name and email address to be registered.[FONT='times new roman', 'new york', times, serif] Questions? Please email Annette McConnell at [/FONT]jam1776@sbcglobal.net

War of 1812 Bicentennial events from July 2012 through January 2013:
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dn...2_391669_7.pdf

War of 1812 Bicentennial Events in Ontario:
    http://war1812celebrations.ontariofe...a/calendar.htm

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Wawayatoning it was called by the Anishinabek. The name describes how the water route goes around the area.

It was a major gathering spot, as you can tell if you think of all the trails leading to it, Grand River all the way from Lake Michigan is the most famous. Michigan, also all the way to Lake Michigan, was another trail. There is the Saginaw Trail also, and of course the near area trails like Pontiac Trail, Franklin, Shiawassee and many more.
    Saginaw Trail became Woodward, right? Or was that Pontiac Trail?

What's now Woodward was complicated. The area north of around Six or Seven was swampy [[hence Ferndale) and had to be traversed partly by foot, partly by canoe. One shortcut up to what's now Oakland County was to go upriver and then take the Clinton River as far as it would go.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Saginaw Trail became Woodward, right? Or was that Pontiac Trail?
    Parts of Crooks Rd. was known as the Saginaw Trail.

Yes, Fort Wayne has an event scheduled, one which we had in the planning for 3yrs. we were going to have a tall ship and full scale battle, the works. then Greenfield Village decided they were going to do an 1812 event, and paid all the 1812 reenactors [[of whom there are not very many to begin with).

as a result, all the reenactors decided to reneg and go to GV's event even though they had already committed to ours.

we're still having our event at the Fort, but there is no tall ship, and there will not be as many reenactors. but we do have one thing G.V. will never have--actual relevance to the War of 1812. the site of Fort Wayne is where the british crossed the river to invade, and on July 4th it is where the Michigan Militia conducted an artillery bombardment of Sandwich Canada, the *unofficial* opening shots of the war.

not only that but it is also the site where the Treaty of Springwells was signed, which is the document that offically ended hostilities in that war between the American govt and the natives who had allied with the Brits. William Henry Harrison was a signer of that treaty [[before he became president).

Today, 200 years ago, the British and Detroiters were exchanging cannon fire until nightfall. Tomorrow, the end came with the surrender of Brigadier General Hull.
    Im going to have to look that up, I have always been under the impression the British fired one cannon shot and the Americans surrendered without a fight. The British were also outnumbered 2 to 1.
    They then had to survive the 14 month British rule under very bad conditions.

A good reason to come out to Fort Wayne's 1812 event tomorrow:

We have out of Detroit Historical Museum's Collections Resource Center the only remaining artifact from Fort Lernoult...the original wooden flagpole base. It has not been on display for 70 years. It will be on display in the old barracks inside the star-fort, in bay 2.

also having lectures at 1pm and 3pm
    at 3pm we will also have redcoat reenactors raising the British flag over the Fort.

For a complete schedule of upcoming Detroit War of 1812 events: http://www.1812detroit.com/

Also....

The Great Lakes Wind Ensemble is performing on the steps of Livonia City Hall, Sunday, September 9th at 7 p.m. The Wind Ensemble will perform a Commemoration Concert recognizing the Bicentennials of The War of 1812 and the Star Spangled Banner.

Michigan-based War of 1812 documentary to air on Detroit Public Television, Monday, September 10, 2012, at 9 p.m.
    On the 199th anniversary of the Battle of Lake Eire, a key event in the War of 1812, Detroit PBS TV will broadcast “this new 30 minute documentary prepared by the Michigan War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission. The 30 minute documentary will be presented at 9 p.m., Monday, September 10, 2012. Directed and produced by Chris Cook, Metrocom International, Ann Arbor, the Executive Producer was James McConnell, Secretary of the Michigan War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission. Key support for the documentary was provided by DTE Energy, the Michigan Humanities Council and the Monroe County War of 1812 Bicentennial Steering Committee.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Most of my relatives are Canadian. I've had plenty of memorable vacations in Canada. I generally like Canada and Canadians. That said, I am wondering about the Canadian reaction to losing to US Women in the Olympics. The Canadian coach had been saying unkind things about US players prior to the game. When Canada lost, he blamed the ref and said more negative things about the US women, but did not address the brutality employed by Canadian player Melissa Tancredi on the field. The coach, a couple of team members, and the Canadian press berated the ref for calls which would never have happened had Tancredi been red carded. It was like there was a media blackout on CBC regarding this incident. Worse, if Canadians were allowed to see this incident after the game, why did they choose to ignore it? Why has Tancredi not been punished by her coach?

I hadnt seen that oladub but if you look at the looped video on this website, it seems pretty clear that Tancredi stomped on the american player's head;

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/gi...d-carli-lloyd/

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I like to point out to people how historical Detroit is. We've had three nations flags flown over our fine city.[[France, Britain, and The U.S.) How many other cities can say three different countries wanted them!
    Several actually... The whole Six Flags over Texas applies here...Mexcian, Spanish, French, the Republic of Texas, the Confederacy, and the US flag.

Georgia has the same....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast