Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit's "Walk to Freedom" - Were You Alive in Detroit in 1963? Please share!

Hey all,

I've lurked here a little bit in the past but I signed up to ask a favor of the community.

I'm doing my master's thesis research on the 1963 "Walk to Freedom" in Detroit, where more than 100,000 Detroiters marched with Martin Luther King, Jr., Mayor Cavanagh, Reuther, Rev. Franklin and others.

I'm looking for anyone who lived in or around Detroit at the time of the March, June 23, 1963. Especially, of course, anyone who actually was in the March and would be willing to talk about their experience and memories. In particular, anyone who is retired DPD or a member of the media would be desired.

If you were there, remember it and are willing to share, please post here and/or contact me via a private message. Ideally I would like to interview you about your experiences.

Next year is the 50th anniversary of this March, which is still the largest single-city civil rights march in history, and time is running out to really tell the story well. So much of history is in our memories, rather than pictures and documents, and it needs to be written down or eventually it's lost forever. If anyone out there is willing to help me [[and the City), I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Below is a link to a blog post from the Walter Reuther Library in Detroit describing the event. Maybe it will help jog some memories.
    https://www.reuther.wayne.edu/node/7858

I didn't really understand it at the time as I was only 5 or 6 years old but I remember it very well. If you are interested in hearing about it from the perspective of a 5 year old African-American male who marched with his sister and mother then I hope this helps.

I was too young to understand what was going on around me but I do remember how hot it was that day, and how tired I was from walking arm in arm with my 10 year old sister and my mother. The day started with a sea of people singing and chanting, more people than I had ever seen even, though I had experienced large crowds, my extended family had Lions season tickets from before the time I was born until the Lions moved to Pontiac.

The march started in what I believe was the New Center, W. Grand blvd & Woodward. It was a positive mood and it seemed everyone was happy. I remember that mood changed though as the march progressed to what was then Kennedy Square, Campus Martius today. There were counter protesters there and you could feel a sense of danger and electricity in the air. I belive the police were there as well. I remember my mom holding my sister's and my hands a little tighter. Nothing was ever said by my mom but I know for a fact that each and every counter protester knew that "if you harm either of my children, someone's going to die here today".

I remember being so hot and tired of walking, at some point in time my mom made it clear when I complained, that she would not carry me on that day, and it was very important that I keep walking no matter how tired I was. As for the famous speech, Dr. King or Walter Reuther I have no memories of that, I was so young. It might have taken 20 years before I understood the meaning and importance of that long walk.

I hope this little story helps. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.
    rajdet@gmail.com

I was in that march as a very young child. In my parent's home there is a picture of a 3 year old me on my father's shoulders in that march with Walter Reuther in the background. Of course, I really don't remember much of anything about it.