Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default YOUR Detroit memories sought for book

Gang,
    Writing a second book, a sequel to "Lost Detroit." This time around, I'm telling the stories of some of a truly, TRULY lost Detroit: landmarks that have been leveled.
    I'm hoping to include Detroiters' memories in this book. I'm asking if you or your parents or your grandparents might want to talk to me about any of these places. Without the people, these are just places. I'm hoping you or your family can help take us back to a Detroit many of us have never seen.

Old City Hall, Majestic Building, Hammond Building, City of Detroit III [[or any of the D&C steamers), Hotel Tuller

Feel free to contact me at historicdetroit.org@gmail.com or through Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HistoricDetroit.

Thanks so much,
    d.a.

I remember when people tried to forget about Detroit.

My mother worked at the Tuller for many years until it closed.

MidTownMs, do you think your mom would be interested in talking with me about her memories? I'd love to get an employee's take!

Paging jjabba?

Quote Originally Posted by historicdetroit.org View Post
    MidTownMs, do you think your mom would be interested in talking with me about her memories? I'd love to get an employee's take!

I'm sorry I forget to mention that she died two years ago.

Oh, I'm sorry, MidTown.

I stayed overnight one night at the Tuller during the state Republican convention, 1962, maybe? For the nomination of George Romney to run for Governor. There had been a fire at the Tuller in 1959, and three people were killed. So, when I woke up to fire engines pulling up outside, and I smelled smoke, I was definitely nervous. I could look out the window and see the fire engines in the street way down below. I think I was on the 12th floor. No alarms were given, so I called the front desk to learn that there was a minor fire in the kitchen. That is all I remember about the Tuller, sadly.

I used to get my hair cut at the Tuller when my older sister worked downtown. Also, in the 80's, the Golden Harp opened in the basement and singer Jim Buckingham used to perform there. It was a long walk to the restrooms from the bar, but worth it, marble and brass. Very Classy for an Irish Saloon.

The Golden Harp! Charlie Taylor used to play there too. He is still around and despite is old age he is still performing from time to time.

This song was a major inspiration for me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4saUwx5VmZU

I can recall; watching the streetcars turn around at the fairgrounds; ice skating at the pond in Palmer Park;fishing next to the Robin Hood Flour Mills. In my same life I worked at the City Yard of the Grand Trunk Western Railroad and we loaded u freight cars onto the Lansdowne for shipment to Windsor, Ontario.